The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22
    I stopped by my local shop over the weekend. They have some tremendous guitars....'59 Jag, '56 ES125, R9s, etc. The standout in the crowd, stored in the far back corner of the case was the D'Angelico. It was so stored away, I didn't even see it standing next to their glass case. I mentioned looking for an archtop and the owner was like 'oh, you gotta play this!'. They proceed to VERY carefully pull this out the case and explain that it's been there for years. It was a refin/repair....performed by Jimmy D'Aquisto. Yes, it sounded amazing. Of course, I was panicked about dropping it. It was, however, a bit of a religious experience. If only I had an extra $38K laying around...she'd be mine!
    Attached Images Attached Images 1936 D'Angelico Archtop-pxl_20231202_185620125-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That looks mint.

User Info Menu

I had that same experience when I played one in the drug store in Summit, NJ. That revelation of "AH! THIS is what it's supposed to be like!".
    I grew up during the time when 48th street in NY had store after store with rows and rows of archtops in the windows, Strombergs, D'Aquistos, D'Angelicos, Gibsons, original Epiphones, ... museum pieces you were supposed to play. I was too young to even know what to do with one if I had even touched one. But decades later having Lou pull the New Yorker off the wall- and my first note that literally etched the feel of total resonance in my whole body, yeah, I'll remember that forever.
    That was the moment I knew I'd have to dedicate my life to someday playing something like that of my own. The highest bar.
    Love the etchings on the inlays!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I had that same experience when I played one in the drug store in Summit, NJ. That revelation of "AH! THIS is what it's supposed to be like!".
    I grew up during the time when 48th street in NY had store after store with rows and rows of archtops in the windows, Strombergs, D'Aquistos, D'Angelicos, Gibsons, original Epiphones, ... museum pieces you were supposed to play. I was too young to even know what to do with one if I had even touched one. But decades later having Lou pull the New Yorker off the wall- and my first note that literally etched the feel of total resonance in my whole body, yeah, I'll remember that forever.
    That was the moment I knew I'd have to dedicate my life to someday playing something like that of my own. The highest bar.
    Love the etchings on the inlays!
    I'm guessing that you already know that the guitar shop in the drug store in Summit has recently moved out of the drug store into their own space just around the corner on Market St., but they still list a few original D'Angelicos in inventory for anyone in the area who wants to stop in for the experience of playing one of these guitars:

1954 Excel
    1942 Style A
    1945 New Yorker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ARGewirtz
    I'm guessing that you already know that the guitar shop in the drug store in Summit has recently moved out of the drug store into their own space just around the corner on Market St., but they still list a few original D'Angelicos in inventory for anyone in the area who wants to stop in for the experience of playing one of these guitars:

1954 Excel
    1942 Style A
    1945 New Yorker
    Glad I read this thread. Didn’t know they moved. Great shop!

User Info Menu

I'd heard there's a proper store now. I can't wait to go!
    That little store I'd known was like the proverbial Mom and Pop of undiscovered treasures. I guess I'll need to walk a few more steps to get my cough drops but be able to spend more time surrounded by amazing guitars.
    Lou had a special edition 7 string thin line set-in PU Eastman that he had exclusively. I tried one and I had to walk out with an unexpected purchase...and he gave me a deal on it.

Back to the D'Angelico, years ago there was an exhibit at the museums called Dangerous Curves or something like that, with amazing guitars behind glass. I may have been the only one who wasn't impressed tough, remembering stores where even better examples were crowded on hooks for anyone to call down and be heard.

Everyone should find an example and experience what a master's hand can do. Everyone who has one should play it as much as they can; it makes them even better.

User Info Menu

38 grand for a refinished non cut Excel?
    It'll be there the next time you stop in.
    And the next, and the next, and the next.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    38 grand for a refinished non cut Excel?
    It'll be there the next time you stop in.
    And the next, and the next, and the next.....
    Quite right. My refinished non cut Excel is not for sale, but for 38 grand we have a deal.

A few things that I stood out to - that I wasn't necessarily expecting: the neck was substantial, very substantial. It also seemed to lack a truss rod, at least one wasn't obvious to me or the store. Finally, I'm so used to really flat boards the 7.5" or so radius really threw me. Certainly not unplayable and when I stopped to think about it, it made perfect sense for the time period. All in all just a very cool experience with probably the most expensive guitar I'll ever play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Prof Silverhair
    A few things that I stood out to - that I wasn't necessarily expecting: the neck was substantial, very substantial. It also seemed to lack a truss rod, at least one wasn't obvious to me or the store. Finally, I'm so used to really flat boards the 7.5" or so radius really threw me. Certainly not unplayable and when I stopped to think about it, it made perfect sense for the time period. All in all just a very cool experience with probably the most expensive guitar I'll ever play.
    D'angelico's do not have truss rods till 1947. Then after that not always and they do not become the norm until at least about 1954. John used a rolled steel bar in the neck and yes those neck can be substantial, but they are quite stable and not ever have seen one with too much relief. My 1937 New Yorker has no truss rod just the rolled bar and neck is darn near straight with almost no relief. It plays quite easily but the the neck is chunky and wider.

When Johnny Smith ordered his special 17-inch New Yorker he did not want an adjustable truss rod used. Johnny felt that the truss rod could rattle, and he felt the guitar was a bit more solid with just the rolled steel bar. Personally, these days repairing, re-fretting, and dressing frets I prefer a truss rod no question, but they are not required to get have a great neck. It is bit more work to dress frets on a guitar without adjustable truss rod but not complicated. Necks with no truss rod and no steel bar can and do have issues related to warping over the years. Not always but not something I ever would want.

User Info Menu

To Professor Silverhair:
    1. How did it fit your hand?
    2. Were you able to play "that" Ami7 chord - XX7988 (XXAEGC) ? (which you were unable to play on your Epiphone 175)

To Anyone:
    1. What would be the market price of that D'Angelico?
    2. Does the refinishing diminish its price?
    3. Is it true that buying a collectible guitar costs you nothing, because you are simply trading one asset for another?

Cheers
    Avery Roberts

User Info Menu

1939 D'Angelico Style A-1-

I'll just leave this here.

Avery, thanks for the questions!

I love how the big neck felt and I was able to play anything I tried - even though the radius was an unexpected challenge.

I'm not an expert by any means but I imagine the refinishing definitely lessens the value - even if it was Jimmy D'Aquisto doing the work. There is always the argument that buying a correctly priced vintage instrument is a good investment. For me, I don't want to deal or invest in guitars. I'm afraid that would take away from the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Avery Roberts
    To Professor Silverhair:
    1. How did it fit your hand?
    2. Were you able to play "that" Ami7 chord - XX7988 (XXAEGC) ? (which you were unable to play on your Epiphone 175)

To Anyone:
    1. What would be the market price of that D'Angelico?
    2. Does the refinishing diminish its price?
    3. Is it true that buying a collectible guitar costs you nothing, because you are simply trading one asset for another?

Cheers
    Avery Roberts

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Prof Silverhair
    I love how the big neck felt and I was able to play anything I tried - even though the radius was an unexpected challenge.
    That's great to hear. Perhaps someone on this forum knows of a modern "copy" that has the same neck dimensions as the one you tried out and perhaps without the severe radius. I looked at D'Angelico's website and unfortunately the nut width on the modern ones is 1 11/16. They do however have the 25 1/2 inch scale length.

Excel EXL-1 - D'Angelico Guitars

One aspect of a radiused neck is that the curved surface is actually wider than it measures flat across the fingerboard.

Hope this helps,
    Avery Roberts

joelf Guest
    When I saw the thread title I was immediately curious, b/c Eddie Diehl had a '36 D'Angelico. After he passed I'm not sure what became of it, but I think his son inherited it. I was told it's worth $10,000. That surprised me---thought it was worth at least twice that amount.

But, jeez, would I love to have that guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    When I saw the thread title I was immediately curious, b/c Eddie Diehl had a '36 D'Angelico. After he passed I'm not sure what became of it, but I think his son inherited it. I was told it's worth $10,000. That surprised me---thought it was worth at least twice that amount.

But, jeez, would I love to have that guitar!
    Eddie's DA was a 1934 Style A with a floating Gibson Humbucker. Eddie did a lot of work on my 1937 Style A and he and I spent a LOT of time talking about DA's. Today, I would think his DA would be worth at least 15K.

Here is a great video about Eddie's guitar:

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Eddie's DA was a 1934 Style A with a floating Gibson Humbucker. Eddie did a lot of work on my 1937 Style A and he and I spent a LOT of time talking about DA's. Today, I would think his DA would be worth at least 15K.

Here is a great video about Eddie's guitar:
    I stand corrected then.

He probably installed that pickup himself. Eddie was a whiz at many things. Difficult man, but def brilliant. I knew him well for 43 years...

User Info Menu

I never understood why a beat-to-hell finish, shitty tuners and a gassed pickguard, etc. are worth more than professionally replace repaired items??

If the neck was jacked up and there were cracks, wouldn't you want those repaired? Would you consider those repairs devaluing the instrument?

User Info Menu

I am with you Pawlowski. But we are in the minority. Of course, originality is king, especially if it was well cared for. But when I see a guitar that was used as a tool, with battle scars and mojo (as they call it..) I wonder why this stuff is valued so much.
    Things that REALLY disgust me are when I receive a guitar that still has gunk on the fingerboard and on the lower bout from sweat.
    There is NO excuse for that and it is TOTALLY Unacceptable. If the original slob owner thought so little of a guitar by not cherishing it, I want no part of it.
    Guitars can be be played and pushed to their limits and not be mutilated. And a Guitar should always be respected and cleaned up nice before its put away.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Quite right. My refinished non cut Excel is not for sale, but for 38 grand we have a deal.
    SS, I'd be right there with you bro.
    JD

User Info Menu

Kinda thought the 39 that I posted the link to looked more in line price wise at 13K. Sounded mighty fine in Grasso's hands.

User Info Menu

That's the Empire State Building of guitars right there.