The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hello everyone, I want to buy gibson super 400 recently. My height is 5 feet 10 inches. Since I bought it from abroad, I can't try it out. I would like to ask you, is this guitar worth owning? Or will it be appropriate given my height? I already own an L5 ces, which is very comfortable and no problem to play, but I have never played the super 400. Please give me some advice. Thank you.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is most difficult as we do not know your build : are you the more slender type, more stocky, how old, with shoulder issues, preferred playing position etc ....?
    There is really no alternative besides trying it out in person and NOT giving up too soon should it not feel comfy from the start. We can all adapt, some to a lesser and others to a larger degree - when the motivation is strong enough !

User Info Menu

You have flexibility as far as the angle with which you hold the guitar, what balance you need.
    I dare say that some people your height could deal with one, others would find it an uncomfortable mis-match. Only you can say.
    As far as your question "Is it worth owning"?, there's obviously something about the Super 400 that you had to have, and the spectrum of Super 400's during their production run is huge, from old acoustic big band lap pianos to modern era electric pickup enforced electronically versatile guitars. All will have 18" to deal with but even within that, only the hunger in you can say if THIS one makes it worth owning.

Let us know what you think when you get it, because nothing anyone here can say will answer your question.
    How much do you play?
    What kind of music?
    Do you play seated?
    What's your left hand positioning?
    How long is your upper arm?
    How long is your forearm?
    Do you play from the wrist or the elbow?
    ...these are just the more salient points that can separate your compatibility from what anyone else might be able to advise.

Please let us know what you feel when it arrives. And send pictures!!

User Info Menu

I am 5’11 and play them. I play sitting always so they are actually more comfortable for me then say a 175 because I don’t need to hunch over and my back is much straighter.
    Go big or go home….

Gibson Super 400-img_1645-jpg

User Info Menu

I'm about 5' 10", too.

I have a Super 400 and don't have any trouble with it.

I use a strap and hold the guitar in a "classical" style position over my left leg using the strap. I studied classical guitar for a few years and that has become the most comfortable way to play for me.

If I try to play an 18-inch guitar that is setting on my right leg it is not as easy for me.

User Info Menu

I’m 6’ and my Super 400 is fine. I do have long arms. I also have a couple 17” archtops, and they are a little more comfortable. I don’t play anything in the classical position.

User Info Menu

No reason not to get a Super 400, regardless of one's stature.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=pJXbM-o76TM
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson Super 400-george-gobel2-jpg Gibson Super 400-490full-george-gobel-jpg 

User Info Menu

At 66, I still stand about 6 feet (I used to be 6'1" damn it!) and I find a Super 400 to be a very comfortable guitar. And a great sounding guitar. And a great looking guitar. I am sure glad that I have one!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    At 66, I still stand about 6 feet (I used to be 6'1" damn it!) and I find a Super 400 to be a very comfortable guitar. And a great sounding guitar. And a great looking guitar. I am sure glad that I have one!
    I agree, Super 400’s are great sounding and great looking! However, I find the big body (both lower bout width and depth) a bit uncomfortable. Perhaps you can try one locally, in advance, if the one you’re considering has to be shipped to you..

AKA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    No reason not to get a Super 400, regardless of one's stature.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=pJXbM-o76TM
    ...and check out that ' strap '......

User Info Menu

I have a 2002 Super 400CC. I am 5' 8.25"-don't you dare deny me that quarter inch and call me five-eight! I find her a handful. It doesn't get played very often but I had to have it as there are few like it. I was on a Charlie Christian Blade pick-up bend for awhile and regret not picking up the 2013 L-5CC Natural used from Gruhn when he had it for sale. I have a 2002 L-5 Wes Montgomery Heart Inlay and that one sees a lot more playing time.

Unless you are a Gibson compleatist-as some of us here are- and want a Super 400CES for its being a Super 400CES I would give it a miss. Not being able to try it out in person makes it a dicey affair. A Super 400CES is not an easy jazzbox to shift on the used market. Be prepared to keep her for the long haul.

User Info Menu

I used to be 6'2" like SS I have shrunk to maybe 6'1 and to me an 18 inch guitar just sits perfect in my lap. My Super 400ces just is really comfortable to play and I don't have any issues. I like a guitar with a bigger upper bout because I can lean the chest a better right on the upper side of guitar. I owned a D'angelico New Yorker that was 18 3/4 inches and 3.25 rim with a big arch too. That guitar was a monster and frankly I was fine to play. The only issue with guitars as they get bigger is you just need more room around you to take them in and out of the case and plug in and out.

When I played with the big 17-piece jazz orchestra I just need more sitting room for an 18 as opposed a 17 or 16 inch guitar. To me it is like luggage you carry on a trip. You have the advantage of putting more things in the luggage, but you have to haul it around. Sitting at home though no problems and could be why the Gibson 175 is probably the most popular to gig for jazz in the real word of playing in public.

User Info Menu

I was 6’ 4”. Now I’m barely 6’ 3”. Everyone shrinks.

But everyone deserves to own a Super 400 at least once in their life. This ‘73 even came with a denim case cover, and a brand new set of Kluson’s, for a song.

Gibson Super 400-img_1884-jpeg