The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

A couple of days ago, I had a tiny, tiny flash of brilliance (well, okay, maybe not exactly brilliance).

I have not been all that happy with the options available on the Quilter SBUS, running it through my TOOB Metro 6.5 with my Triggs New Yorker. I couldn't get a sound near what I get from my Bud 6. But it occurred to me that perhaps Jazzmus' Brute EQ pedal could help with that, since there are many who say that Henriksens are close to the sound of Polytones.

So I hooked the Brute EQ up to the SBUS' FX loop, and set the SB to FRFR and 57. And there was the sound I was looking for! Creamy, with detail.

Now I need to get another one for my TOOB and SBUK in Paris...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I prefer the FRFR switch setting with any combination, and I just leave it there, along with the other switch in the 57 position. I prefer to let the cabinet that is connected do the sound coloring, not the amp. I keep trying both my JR Barnyard and Joyo American Sound pedals with the SBUS/Toob, both in front and in the effects loop, but I also keep deciding they're more trouble than they're worth here, and going back to just the amp and cabinet. Close enough for me, but maybe not for everyone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I prefer the FRFR switch setting with any combination, and I just leave it there, along with the other switch in the 57 position. I prefer to let the cabinet that is connected do the sound coloring, not the amp. I keep trying both my JR Barnyard and Joyo American Sound pedals with the SBUS/Toob, both in front and in the effects loop, but I also keep deciding they're more trouble than they're worth here, and going back to just the amp and cabinet. Close enough for me, but maybe not for everyone.
    I must be misunderstanding you here. You seem to be saying that you have a preference for the FRFR cab sim setting while using your SBUS through your Toob. But the cab sim switch only affects rthe line out and headphone signals. It has no effect at all on the speaker output.

User Info Menu

I disagree. I can hear a difference between all the settings. It's not a dramatic difference, but I can hear it.

User Info Menu

Nevershould is correct – I forgot that according to the manual the cab sim switch doesn't affect the speaker output.

There's a discussion of it here in this thread...

My hearing is nowhere near what it was 20 years ago, so I can't corroborate sgosnell's experience, but I can't discount it, either.

User Info Menu

The manual says it quite clearly. The cab sim switch is not even in the circuitry that drives the power amp and feeds the speaker output. My ears may not be as refined as some, but I can hear pretty well. And I do not hear any difference between settings through the speaker output but I do through the ‘phone out and the line out. And I use my SBUS every day.

Here’s a link to the manual -https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...f?v=1675796113 . It’s quite clear about this.

User Info Menu

I know what the manual says. I also know what my ears hear. I'm not sure how it happens, but it does.

User Info Menu

Psychoacoustic phenomena fascinate me !

User Info Menu

Perhaps. The differences are certainly subtle, but consistent. The normal center position starts to get into the Quilter nasal sound, just a touch, and the FRFR seems to have slightly enhanced bass, slightly less mids. Maybe I'm fooling myself, but I've been fooled before. I've never tried using the DI to a PA or other amp, so I don't know what the difference is there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ukena
    A couple of days ago, I had a tiny, tiny flash of brilliance (well, okay, maybe not exactly brilliance).

I have not been all that happy with the options available on the Quilter SBUS, running it through my TOOB Metro 6.5 with my Triggs New Yorker. I couldn't get a sound near what I get from my Bud 6. But it occurred to me that perhaps Jazzmus' Brute EQ pedal could help with that, since there are many who say that Henriksens are close to the sound of Polytones.

So I hooked the Brute EQ up to the SBUS' FX loop, and set the SB to FRFR and 57. And there was the sound I was looking for! Creamy, with detail.

Now I need to get another one for my TOOB and SBUK in Paris...
    Now I'm curious what eq settings you used on your Bud 6 to have it sound like the Brute EQ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by raytan
    Now I'm curious what eq settings you used on your Bud 6 to have it sound like the Brute EQ?
    Channel 2:

SuperBlock + Brute EQ pedal-bud6settings-jpeg