The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 82
    joelf Guest
    Please tell me how it compares to the Bud, and why it's cheaper.

I now know it's a one channel amp. Is there a way around this? (Like a splitter cable that can also handle a mic?) I need that. Is the sound quality not as good? Is there a 'catch', and if so what is it? Must be a reason it's $300 or so cheaper.

I want a Bud 6, really, but they're now a bit pricey for me, and used ones are hard to come by. I see a used Bud 10 advertised for $990 (with a 'make offer' option). Tempted to grab it, but do not want to be hasty and live to regret it. In no hurry.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by joelf; 11-29-2023 at 08:08 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have an older Bud* and a newer Blu , so it's not as direct a comparison as the two models as available today.That said, I don't find any difference in sound quality. I think the price difference is just 1 vs 2 channels. I think at some point they would knock a little off the price if you told them "Bruce Forman sent you', might be worth reaching out to them and seeing if they're running that or any similar promo

*older models of Bud are heaver with the heat sink, and needs a manual 'fuse' change to go from US to Euro voltage

PK

User Info Menu

Yup, the Blu is built exactly the same as the Bud except it's a single channel and it's missing the FX loop, the 3.5mm input, and the Bright switch (on channel 2 only of the Bud).

As to "ways to get around the single channel" thing, sure, you could get an external mixer and plug both a microphone and a guitar into it, but that's more stuff to carry around and more hassle. I didn't "need" the second channel that the Bud offered, but I went ahead and ordered it anyway and I'm glad I did because it has come in handy a couple of times. And, dare I say it on a jazz guitar forum, but I actually LIKE the Bright switch on the Bud (for certain guitars)

User Info Menu

I have a Bud 6 and two Blu's (a 6 and a 10). In addition to the second channel. the Bud has more tone shaping tools, I also think the 6 is more versatile (and lighter) than the 10, so if my financial circumstances made it so I could only (barely) afford one of these newer Henriksen amps, it would be a Bud 6. And having had an older Henriksen with the heat sink, I would stay away from those (I had an overheating problem with that amp once while playing outdoors on a triple digit day with no cover.)

I have played gigs in a very loud venue with a drummer using only the Bud 6 (with a wedge) and it worked amazingly well. If I could only have one amp today, it would be the Bud 6.

HTH

User Info Menu

In looking at the last week, was it my imagination or are the EQ frequency centers at different points on the two amps?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    In looking at the last week, was it my imagination or are the EQ frequency centers at different points on the two amps?
    You could have answered your question yourself by looking at the Henriksen website.

As of 2023 11 29, per the website,
    For the Blu 6:
    The Blu SIX - Henriksen Amplifiers
    low = 100 Hz, low-mid = 320 Hz, hi-mid = 760 Hz, high = 1.6kHz, presence = 3.5kHz

For the Bud 6:
    The Bud SIX - Henriksen Amplifiers
    low = 80 Hz, low-mid = 420 Hz, hi-mid = 1.6 kHz, high = 3.5 kHz, presence = 7.2 kHz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill
    You could have answered your question yourself by looking at the Henriksen website.

For the Blu 6:
    low = 100 Hz, low-mid = 320 Hz, hi-mid = 760 Hz, high = 1.6kHz, presence = 3.5kHz

For the Bud 6:
    low = 80 Hz, low-mid = 420 Hz, hi-mid = 1.6 kHz, high = 3.5 kHz, presence = 7.2 kHz
    I wonder why the difference? Perhaps the Bud is voiced wider for voice or an acoustic-electric instrument in the 2nd channel?

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    Yup, the Blu is built exactly the same as the Bud except it's a single channel and it's missing the FX loop, the 3.5mm input, and the Bright switch (on channel 2 only of the Bud).

As to "ways to get around the single channel" thing, sure, you could get an external mixer and plug both a microphone and a guitar into it )
    Thanks. That's what a Henriksen rep advised just a few minutes ago.

There's an ad for a Blu 10, very affordable. Think I'll bite and get the mixer. 20 pounds ain't much to carry, and if it gets to be that's what God, in her wisdom, invented luggage carts for. (Plus, the 10-inch speaker will cut any gig and I think I may be doing organ trios again shortly.

Thank you all for the insights and tips...
    Last edited by joelf; 11-29-2023 at 08:23 PM.

joelf Guest
    Coda: Just bought the Bud 6 instead. W/a discount code didn't hurt me too bad. Now I don't need a mixer...
    Last edited by joelf; 11-30-2023 at 09:51 PM.

joelf Guest
    One final comment: I got top support from Peter Henriksen all day today. I'll be thrilled now to go on google business and yelp to give Henriksen a rave review...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Coda: Just bought the Bud 6 instead. W/a discount code didn't hurt me to bad. Now I don't need a mixer...
    Excellent choice. Glad it worked out for you!

User Info Menu

Once in a while I bring my Bud 6 to my modern big band rehearsal. The first time I did, the leader said “What the heck do you plan on doing with that?”

User Info Menu

Coda: Just bought the Bud 6 instead. W/a discount code didn't hurt me to bad. Now I don't need a mixer...
    You also got an input gain control which Blu does not have.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    ...using only the Bud 6 (with a wedge) and it worked amazingly well...
    Wedge?

What am that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill

For the Blu 6:

For the Bud 6:
    Well, my question was somewhat rhetorical as I had in fact seen that on the website. But thanks for the advice.

I guess my question should have been, do the different frequencies make a practical difference on EQ-ing the guitar?

On a footpedal EQ, for instance, I would regard 420 to 1.6 kHz as being a somewhat too large jump. It almost seems like the Bud is geared more for wider frequency sources, maybe like a voice or acoustic guitar. But maybe it isn't much of a difference.

User Info Menu

Coda: Just bought the Bud 6 instead. W/a discount code didn't hurt me too bad. Now I don't need a mixer...
    Where did you find a discount code?

joelf Guest
    The Bud 6 arrived today. Haven't tried it yet, but did lift it and was not thrilled at how heavy 13 pounds felt. It's definitely not a 'walking around' amp like my Roland AC-33, but probably cuts it to ribbons in every other way.

Anyway, I have a luggage cart and my car. And I'll probably love the sound and giggability.

Thanks for all your input...

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    Where did you find a discount code?
    A fellow guitarist let me use his...

User Info Menu

Wedge?

What am that?
    One of these, although one can get a non-Henriksen-branded one for considerably less money.

Henriksen Blu?-wedge-jpeg

User Info Menu

nvm
    Last edited by BigDaddyLoveHandles; 12-06-2023 at 11:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Access to this page has been denied.
    This one ships free. Hard to beat for under 10 bucks. And for a small amp, it's often needed.

User Info Menu

Why are people secretive about discount codes??? Discount codes are marketing promotions offered by the seller to sell more goods.

Get 5% off of Henriksen with “timlerch” discount code. Tim shares the code in the video below.

joelf Guest
    Very, very disappointed. Played through it, and didn't like the tone one bit---dry, thin, no body or roundness. It's as sterile soundine as an AER I once bought and got rid of for the same reason. Thinking of returning it. It feels heavier than the 13 LBs trumpeted on their site and not worth the $1,2029 or so I paid.

Will give it more of a chance though. No sense being hasty. But sound is of prime importance to me, and I just don't dig it...

User Info Menu

Very, very disappointed. Played through it, and didn't like the tone one bit---dry, thin, no body or roundness. It's as sterile soundine as an AER I once bought and got rid of for the same reason. Thinking of returning it. It feels heavier than the 13 LBs trumpeted on their site and not worth the $1,2029 or so I paid.

Will give it more of a chance though. No sense being hasty. But sound is of prime importance to me, and I just don't dig it...
    I'd say the AER is more PA-like and the Bud maybe shades a bit more toward the Polytone sound, but I find the two to be in pretty much the same ballpark. So if you really don't like one you're probably not going to love the other. When it comes to single devices that can be used simultaneously to amplify both a guitar and a mic, my experience is that pretty much everything is in that ballpark. To get around that, a lot of people put some sort of amp-emulation pedal between the guitar and the amp, such as a SansAmp Blond or the Joyo American Sound which is a $40 cheap knock off of that.

joelf Guest
    Just contacted Peter Henriksen---an uber-nice man. He's sending a return label, and it's done with.

If anyone asks I won't bad-mouth the amp or company. I'll say it's a fine product, but didn't work out for me...