The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 82

User Info Menu

Since it has a preamp gain knob, did you try it with the knob way high? I know the Aer warms up quite a bit if you play with the gain maxed just enough to not peak into the red.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

wow thats crazy maybe yours is broken, also never heard of anyone complaining about the weight, wtf lol

User Info Menu

I’m sorry you didn’t like it and rather surprised, Joel. The 5 band EQ on the Bud has a pretty wide range, so you have to spend some time adjusting and listening to find the sweet spot for you out of so many in its palette. There’s also a switchable tweeter to add to the mix. The balance between input gain and volume pots also affects tone and responsiveness.

It took hours to find the best settings for me just for my main gigging archtop. Throw in another hour for a 2nd archie plus about 90 minutes for my Tele and there’s no way I could have reached equilibrium with it in less than a few days and a few gigs.

So for those considering a Blu or Bud, I strongly suggest giving it adequate time and effort before giving up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4
    wow thats crazy maybe yours is broken, also never heard of anyone complaining about the weight, wtf lol
    Yes, 13 pounds would be quite a nice change from all of my tube amps!

Not bonding with the sound though as he said is another matter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Since it has a preamp gain knob, did you try it with the knob way high? I know the Aer warms up quite a bit if you play with the gain maxed just enough to not peak into the red.
    For me this feature is the one that tips the scale towards the BUD6 : the preamp gain def. is a tone-shaping tool that can very audibly alter the attack transient, it softens it when you turn up and almost works like a limiter. This is more apparent in a studio-situation or when playing in a quiet chamber-group setting, on loud stages it’s not such an issue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    Yes, 13 pounds would be quite a nice change from all of my tube amps!

Not bonding with the sound though as he said is another matter.
    I snagged my (used) BLU6 since it’s price was just too sweet to pass up Plus I wanted an amp that I could strap onto my bicycle ? ??. Now it’s not a problem to get to a rehearsal, session or even a gig in town and no more worry about parking. Gigbag on my back, small gearbag on the front rack, amp on the back rack.?

Investing time and effort with new gear
    is never wasted time since it tells you a lot about yourself, it makes you think hard about your likes and dislikes, keeps you flexible and makes you adapt new concepts, helps making informed decisions. Expecting an instant O…. is pretty naive in many cases…. No offense intended.

User Info Menu

I have gigged quite a bit with Polytone, AER, Acoustic Image, Quilter and Henriksen SS amps as well as with Fender and Mesa tube amps for jazz. All are different sounding and all have some pros and cons.

Overall, the Henriksen Bud 6 is probably the best I have found for the combination of tone and light weight. My experience is that I get a warm, fat tone with both archtops and solid body guitars using the Bud 6 and it also does a great job with a Gypsy guitar.

When the day comes where the 15 pounds of the Bud 6 (with it's gig bag) is too much for me to carry, it will be time for me to quit playing out.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    I tried it every which way. The problem is the core tone, and you can press every button on the thing, but if it ain't happening for you it ain't happening. Thanks, though.

The return slip is already in the mail and my money would be better spent elsewhere. But I did learn 2 things, the 2nd of which I should've known, as long as I've been at this:

1: Peter Henriksen is a class act.

2: Never buy an instrument or any related equipment w/o trying it out first in a store...
    Last edited by joelf; 12-07-2023 at 06:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    When it comes to single devices that can be used simultaneously to amplify both a guitar and a mic, my experience is that pretty much everything is in that ballpark.
    I had a similar thought. That is, if the Bud/Blu can work well for vocals, how much different could they be from a powered speaker like, say, the Bose S1 (which I just got yesterday)?

User Info Menu

I'm a user who's not a huge fan of the "stock" voicing but I really appreciate my henriksen amps and use them with live with combos frequently. I.e. with all knobs at noon I'm not crazy about the sound of henriksen amps. It took a while to find the setting I like but once I did I'm very happy with it. I prefer the Milkman 100 amp overall compared to henriksen but I agree that the tone stack is very flexible and it's possible to get a more fender-y sound by scooping out the high mids. Joel, I recommend spending a little more time with the EQ before giving your final opinion. It doesn't work in an intuitive way. The knobs do almost nothing until you turn them about 50% past the mid point and then they become very sensitive. I think the design can be improved but the tone stack is very flexible.

As for the weight, if 13 lbs is too much then my best advice is a protein rich diet and some dumbbell curls, maybe starting at 5lbs.

User Info Menu

I have yet to come across a piece of gear that everyone likes or dislikes, especially when players are experienced and have a particular aesthetic. Good thing you can return gear nowadays if you don't like it! There just aren't many gigging amps that are as light as a Bud6 though, and can do two channels, archtop and acoustic guitars..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    The Bud 6 arrived today. Haven't tried it yet, but did lift it and was not thrilled at how heavy 13 pounds felt. It's definitely not a 'walking around' amp like my Roland AC-33, but probably cuts it to ribbons in every other way.
    And I thought I was getting weak in my 60's.

If I am not mistaken, I think the Roland 33 is only around 3 lbs lighter (I own both), with not nearly the clean headroom or power. I do full band gigs with the Bud, that I could never do with the Roland 33. The 33 is more of a convenience for small quiet solo things.

User Info Menu

I seem to recall an old thread where the weight was discussed. Something to the effect that the amp didn't weigh what the ad said.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 12-06-2023 at 09:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Did you buy it new, or used? The *old* original version with the heat sink on the back is heavier. If yours has a heat sink it's just over 17 lbs. I sold my original Bud to buy the newer Bud 6 13lb version.

User Info Menu

Good luck with the search, Joel!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I'm a user who's not a huge fan of the "stock" voicing but I really appreciate my henriksen amps and use them with live with combos frequently. I.e. with all knobs at noon I'm not crazy about the sound of henriksen amps. It took a while to find the setting I like but once I did I'm very happy with it. I prefer the Milkman 100 amp overall compared to henriksen but I agree that the tone stack is very flexible and it's possible to get a more fender-y sound by scooping out the high mids. Joel, I recommend spending a little more time with the EQ before giving your final opinion. It doesn't work in an intuitive way. The knobs do almost nothing until you turn them about 50% past the mid point and then they become very sensitive. I think the design can be improved but the tone stack is very flexible.
    Can you kindly share your settings? Tx.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos

As for the weight, if 13 lbs is too much then my best advice is a protein rich diet and some dumbbell curls, maybe starting at 5lbs.
    Did you say I'm a dumbell?

DEM'S FIGHTIN' WOIDS!! (;

Again, I tried all the settings, and many times. Just not happening. And, funny, I took it to a jam session in Hartford, CT last night. It didn't work for whatever reason, so I pulled out my cable and plugged into another guy's amp (not sure what make, just that it was white, and slightly larger than the Bud. Hard to see in the low light there). I got the same exact thin, dry Henriksen-y sound from that one! Maybe someone's copying Mr. H's tonal design? I'm persnickety about sound, yes, but 2 amps that didn't please? Something's rotten in the state of modern amplifier sound technology.

Mine is going back as soon as I receive the return label---the money better spent in other ways.

Oh, and I carried the Bud some. It really was OK to haul at 13 Lbs. If only it sounded like I wanted! I still need a good, portable 2 channel amp, and will keep looking. Maybe something combining tubes and transistors?

But thank you, too...
    Last edited by joelf; 12-07-2023 at 06:46 PM.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Did you buy it new, or used? The *old* original version with the heat sink on the back is heavier. If yours has a heat sink it's just over 17 lbs. I sold my original Bud to buy the newer Bud 6 13lb version.
    New...

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    And I thought I was getting weak in my 60's.

If I am not mistaken, I think the Roland 33 is only around 3 lbs lighter (I own both), with not nearly the clean headroom or power. I do full band gigs with the Bud, that I could never do with the Roland 33. The 33 is more of a convenience for small quiet solo things.
    Au contraire, mon ami: if you mic the 33 it's just wonderful in tone, projection and power. Full, round, dark sound w/my Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin, my lone archtop since '08. Loud drums recede into the wallpaper. (But this does pose the issue of needing joints with functioning PAs.)

And I carried it on my left shoulder for years w/NP.

Only problem: when I used both channels, guitar in one, mic in t'other, the guitar had less volume than I'd like. So now, since I dig it so much, I'm considering having a larger speaker installed (or plain out getting a Cube 60). But I also like the AC-DC properties of the AC-33. Reluctant to stray from that.

Guess, to paraphrase an old Jimmy Webb lyric, I 'have the answer right here in my hand'. But it won't turn to sand...
    Last edited by joelf; 12-07-2023 at 06:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Au contraire, mon ami: if you mic the 33 it's just wonderful in tone, projection and power. Eull, round, dark sound w/my Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin, my lone archtop since '08. Loud drums recede into the wallpaper. (But this does pose the issue of needing joints with functioning PAs.)

And I carried it on my left shoulder for years w/NP.

Only problem: when I used both channels, guitar in one, mic in t'other, the guitar had less volume than I'd like. So now, since I dig it so much, I'm considering having a larger speaker installed (or plain out getting a Cube 60). But I also like the AC-DC properties of the AC-33. Reluctant to stray from that.

Guess, to paraphrase an old Jimmy Webb lyric, I 'have the answer right here in my hand'. But it won't turn to sand...
    You seem to have some ambivalence about wants and needs, Joel.

Sound reinforcement is great - but most of us use a Bud or Blu for its relatively high power and utility on bigger gigs without reinforcement. I could play Carnegie Hall with my Pignose if it’s mic’ed into the house system. But if you want to do that, why not just go direct with a good DI box or sim / preamp pedal? They’re a lot cheaper than a Bud and you could keep the 33.

As I recall, your AC33 weighs about 10 pounds. You’re considering a Cube 60. The orange Cube 60 I bought when they came out (maybe 35 years ago?) weighed at least 25 pounds as I recall, and the recent but discontinued model with COSM modeling weighs even more. And you think the Bud 6 is too heavy?

The 33 has a pair of 5” speakers and is about a foot wide. I strong doubt that you could squeeze even a pair of 6s in there, and there’s no hammer big enough to jam in 6.5s. Even if you could get good 6s in there the cost would be high and you couldn’t go back if you didn’t like the sound without spending more than the amp costs on a new baffle (if that’s even possible after ripping it apart to fit 6s, which I doubt). And it would add at least 2 pounds to the overall weight, making it the same as the Bud that you think is too heavy.

I fear you’re barking up the wrong trees on this one. Good luck with your search.

User Info Menu

2: Never buy an instrument or any related equipment w/o trying it out first in a store...
    Well, instead, you had it delivered to your door, you were able to try it out in your house for hours, and then only had to ask for a return shipping label and send it back. Seems to me that’s just about perfect. And considering that these amps aren’t commonly found in stores, I’d say you got the best of everything.

User Info Menu

For light weight, have you tried the "head + Toob" combination?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    The 33 has a pair of 5” speakers and is about a foot wide. I strong doubt that you could squeeze even a pair of 6s in there, and there’s no hammer big enough to jam in 6.5s. Even if you could get good 6s in there the cost would be high and you couldn’t go back if you didn’t like the sound without spending more than the amp costs on a new baffle (if that’s even possible after ripping it apart to fit 6s, which I doubt). And it would add at least 2 pounds to the overall weight, making it the same as the Bud that you think is too heavy.

I fear you’re barking up the wrong trees on this one. Good luck with your search.
    Or trying to climb up a ladder without rungs.

So, you want something with more power than the R33, that weighs less than the Bud 6.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    For light weight, have you tried the "head + Toob" combination?
    Yeah, funky stuff! The head in this video only cost $180.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    You seem to have some ambivalence about wants and needs, Joel.

Sound reinforcement is great - but most of us use a Bud or Blu for its relatively high power and utility on bigger gigs without reinforcement. I could play Carnegie Hall with my Pignose if it’s mic’ed into the house system. But if you want to do that, why not just go direct with a good DI box or sim / preamp pedal? They’re a lot cheaper than a Bud and you could keep the 33.

As I recall, your AC33 weighs about 10 pounds. You’re considering a Cube 60. The orange Cube 60 I bought when they came out (maybe 35 years ago?) weighed at least 25 pounds as I recall, and the recent but discontinued model with COSM modeling weighs even more. And you think the Bud 6 is too heavy?

No ambivalence.

I wrote that the Bud wasn't that bad to carry. You probably didn't see it. But it's packed and ready to be returned. I could never warm to that sound. I also stated several times that I don't mind extra weight, having a luggage cart and a car. (Forgive any crankiness---you know I like you, but I'm tired at the moment). If it came to it I'd get another Fender Twin or Vibrolux reissue in a heartbeat. That's how much I prize sound even with inconvenience. I don't play a lot if notes, so I also keep a somewhat high action, valuing sound over speed. I have a Champion 100, to me the closest in sound to a tube amp that I've owned. It's heavy as hell, but I use it a lot. Lifting heavy amps is like weight training, and I neither have a roadie or are good-looking enough to be 'kept'.

I didn't like an AER I had, and got rid of it. The Bud, for all its other attributes and despite the niceness and professionalism of Mr. P. Henriksen, is packed for return for the same reason---I can't use a sterile sound with no warmth or body.

If all of this is 'barking up the wrong tree' then I'm gonna go shed my bow wowing.

Seriously, I do appreciate your advice and concern. You're a great guy. So please forgive the shortness and sarcasm---not in the greatest mood right now and fried...
    Last edited by joelf; 12-07-2023 at 10:40 PM.