User Info Menu

Thoughts on the L-5 Signature?-l-5-sig-collection-1-jpg

Thoughts on the L-5 Signature?-ci2_8600-jpg

Thoughts on the L-5 Signature?-pavilion-4-jpg

Thoughts on the L-5 Signature?-danny-birts-bistro-jpg

I like 'em.

Danny W.

is it worth $8k in today's market?

I agree. My L5 WesMo put a permanent end to my gear acquisition syndrome. Looks killer, sounds even better, and just plain feels great to play. How much of that is psychological vs real? I don’t really care because I found a connection with a guitar that gives me more than I want/need.

So to answer your question, it depends on you. I would say absolutely the current price is justified (from my perspective).

Quote Originally Posted by Campbell_jazz
    I agree. My L5 WesMo put a permanent end to my gear acquisition syndrome. Looks killer, sounds even better, and just plain feels great to play. How much of that is psychological vs real? I don’t really care because I found a connection with a guitar that gives me more than I want/need.

So to answer your question, it depends on you. I would say absolutely the current price is justified (from my perspective).
    note, this is a smaller guitar. Not the same size as your wes or an L5 CES..

User Info Menu

I have an L5 CES (for sale) as well as a wes and a Wes CT. The CT serves a similar purpose to the Studio except that it’s a thinline. To my ears the CT sounds almost identical to the Wes. A little less bass and treble but a great instrument.

User Info Menu

Worth 8K ? If it is the guitar of your dreams and will inspire your playing, probably yes. Compared to today's L-5 market? Maybe. Asking prices are pretty high and buying a new one entails quite a long wait and an even higher price tag.

In real estate, the best properties (location, location, location) are the first to go up in price and the last to come down in price (generally). I think the same applies to archtop values (Gibson, Gibson, Gibson ). That said, I think a full size L-5 (one or two mounted pickups or even a floater) will have more demand than this particular model.

As I like a 17 inch guitar (a lot), I would hold out for an L-5CES if I was in the market for an L-5 myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Worth 8K ? If it is the guitar of your dreams and will inspire your playing, probably yes. Compared to today's L-5 market? Maybe. Asking prices are pretty high and buying a new one entails quite a long wait and an even higher price tag.

In real estate, the best properties (location, location, location) are the first to go up in price and the last to come down in price (generally). I think the same applies to archtop values (Gibson, Gibson, Gibson ). That said, I think a full size L-5 (one or two mounted pickups or even a floater) will have more demand than this particular model.

As I like a 17 inch guitar (a lot), I would hold out for an L-5CES if I was in the market for an L-5 myself.
    I hear you and agree 100%. Sadly though, buying one of these sight unseen is a risk, particularly at these prices since it's realistically a 6mo-year long process to sell something in this price range...

User Info Menu

JZ,in the 8K price range, the L-5CESN that Hammertone is selling (here on the forum) seems like a wiser purchase. He is a pretty experienced seller and IIRC he is close to western PA, so you guys could meet on this side of the border and you could play his before completing the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    JZ,in the 8K price range, the L-5CESN that Hammertone is selling (here on the forum) seems like a wiser purchase. He is a pretty experienced seller and IIRC he is close to western PA, so you guys could meet on this side of the border and you could play his before completing the purchase.
    It looks cool but in the video the seller sent me, the action is super high and it's not clear whether it's just a bridge height or a neck bow causing the problem...

User Info Menu

25.5 scale with a tiny body I would worry about neck dive.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Yes, I definitely had that thought!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    It looks cool but in the video the seller sent me, the action is super high and it's not clear whether it's just a bridge height or a neck bow causing the problem...
    Jack please do not take offense to this response. You are pretty much a nitpicker when it comes to how a guitar is set up at least for yourself. Simply because the action looks high on Hammer's L5 means nothing. You need to know the amount of relief in the neck of the guitar and the action at the 12th fret. Gibson L5's at least the current ones generally have working truss rods, and all of this can easily be adjusted to whatever a person requires. A working truss rod should be able to get the guitar easily to your liking. Players can argue all day about Gibson QC, but really with the carved top, custom guitars like the L5 and Super 400 and even a lowly Es175. They are fine and if they had huge problems these guitars would not command the money they do. Right now, a Gibson L5 might be arguably the most in demand jazz guitar for tradition jazz playing. They are even prized by rock players who like to have them for bedroom playing and other things.

I prefer the real deal 17-inch L5 and would avoid anything that is not that specific. The smaller ones have a place for some players, but they do not conform to the typical catalogue guitar description. If you want an L5 it would be without a doubt the best case to go see Hammer. He is well known and knows his stuff. You can try the guitar out and see what adds up. In my case I have enough experience I don't need anything other than my eyes and possibly a mirror and light to look inside. When I buy I guitar I check the relief and action and make judgements. It is a beautiful blond L5 I would say you could possibly get one cheaper but not likely. If it was a 1 pickup Wes Mo I probably would buy it myself.

Finally, some notes on Gibson guitars that I have and have repair in the past 5-7 years. I have never come across an L5 that was not workable and most they are easy to set up. My own 2003 L5c has .007ish relief in the neck with 5/64 ( a touch under if truth told) on bass 12th fret. The treble is 4/64th a touch under again. It plays effortlessly. I have never adjusted the truss rod and had it I believe almost 3 years. The guitar is stable requires no action adjusting seasonally. For comparison my Barker has .006 action relief and same action at 12th fret. The Barker's neck is a bit straighter, but you have to have precision measuring to get the difference. I have not adjusted the truss rod on this guitar since my last fret dressing some 8 years ago. I only adjusted the truss rod to get the neck straight for leveling and then it went back to the exact turn on the rod. The point is that well-made guitars with maple necks, ebony boards, and the usual heavier Gibson carve do not routinely fall apart of have issues. They will if a person does not take care of the guitar, and this is usually obvious when looking at them.

Go see Steve you are just south of the boarder and easy drive.

You're misunderstanding Mark. Of course action is setup to please but on an $8000 guitar sold from another country, it's really a tricky thing.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Jack please do not take offense to this response. You are pretty much a nitpicker when it comes to how a guitar is set up at least for yourself. Simply because the action looks high on Hammer's L5 means nothing. You need to know the amount of relief in the neck of the guitar and the action at the 12th fret. Gibson L5's at least the current ones generally have working truss rods, and all of this can easily be adjusted to whatever a person requires. A working truss rod should be able to get the guitar easily to your liking. Players can argue all day about Gibson QC, but really with the carved top, custom guitars like the L5 and Super 400 and even a lowly Es175. They are fine and if they had huge problems these guitars would not command the money they do. Right now, a Gibson L5 might be arguably the most in demand jazz guitar for tradition jazz playing. They are even prized by rock players who like to have them for bedroom playing and other things.

I prefer the real deal 17-inch L5 and would avoid anything that is not that specific. The smaller ones have a place for some players, but they do not conform to the typical catalogue guitar description. If you want an L5 it would be without a doubt the best case to go see Hammer. He is well known and knows his stuff. You can try the guitar out and see what adds up. In my case I have enough experience I don't need anything other than my eyes and possibly a mirror and light to look inside. When I buy I guitar I check the relief and action and make judgements. It is a beautiful blond L5 I would say you could possibly get one cheaper but not likely. If it was a 1 pickup Wes Mo I probably would buy it myself.

Finally, some notes on Gibson guitars that I have and have repair in the past 5-7 years. I have never come across an L5 that was not workable and most they are easy to set up. My own 2003 L5c has .007ish relief in the neck with 5/64 ( a touch under if truth told) on bass 12th fret. The treble is 4/64th a touch under again. It plays effortlessly. I have never adjusted the truss rod and had it I believe almost 3 years. The guitar is stable requires no action adjusting seasonally. For comparison my Barker has .006 action relief and same action at 12th fret. The Barker's neck is a bit straighter, but you have to have precision measuring to get the difference. I have not adjusted the truss rod on this guitar since my last fret dressing some 8 years ago. I only adjusted the truss rod to get the neck straight for leveling and then it went back to the exact turn on the rod. The point is that well-made guitars with maple necks, ebony boards, and the usual heavier Gibson carve do not routinely fall apart of have issues. They will if a person does not take care of the guitar, and this is usually obvious when looking at them.

Go see Steve you are just south of the boarder and easy drive.

User Info Menu

I've had and have 3 15" archtops. D'Aquisto (Aria Japan), Eastman, Sadowsky. It's my favorite size. I have never had a problem with neck dive.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I've had and have 3 15" archtops. D'Aquisto (Aria Japan), Eastman, Sadowsky. It's my favorite size. I have never had a problem with neck dive.
    The L5 has a 25.5" scale maple/ebony board with a much thicker neck than any of those 3. Also, the neck body joint is not as far up as on those 3, contributing to possible neck dive.

User Info Menu

Jack maybe consider the Sadowsky options such as the long scale 15” or 17” models. I know they are not carved tops, but even Lee Ritenour and Frank Vignola play them as well as a bunch of others.

I think you already have the tone you’re chasing with the BK, 175, etc and you sound great! I run into this same problem chasing gear over the years. And it’s fun in a way, but it becomes self defeating after being through so many.
    Remember most of our hero’s used what they had available and didn’t own that many guitars.

I wish you much luck in your chase!

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Jack maybe consider the Sadowsky options such as the long scale 15” or 17” models. I know they are not carved tops, but even Lee Ritenour and Frank Vignola play them as well as a bunch of others.

I think you already have the tone you’re chasing with the BK, 175, etc and you sound great! I run into this same problem chasing gear over the years. And it’s fun in a way, but it becomes self defeating after being through so many.
    Remember most of our hero’s used what they had available and didn’t own that many guitars.

I wish you much luck in your chase!
    Thanks, i had a jim hall and semihollow at one point. I'm looking for something which gets a real traditional jazz guitar tone. The sadowsky's are more modern sounding. I don't see it as self defeating at this point. I'm not chasing tone. I love the sound of my guitars but am at an age where I'd like to have the ultimate, classic jazz guitar as sometime to lean on occasionally.

User Info Menu

The L5 has a 25.5" scale maple/ebony board with a much thicker neck than any of those 3. Also, the neck body joint is not as far up as on those 3, contributing to possible neck dive.
    Actually, that's incorrect about the joints. Both the L5 and Eastman join at the 14th fret. Eastman is only 1/2" shorter scale, but also has a substantial 1-3/4" neck, still no neck dive.

The Sadowsky and D'Aquisto have *15th* fret joints, which is more than the L5. (~5/8" extra fret space off the body). With that and the 24-3/4",scale, that makes them shorter than L5 by only around 3/8". (If I figured that correctly!) Still no dive, nice balance on my r leg. YMMV

User Info Menu

You're misunderstanding Mark. Of course action is setup to please but on an $8000 guitar sold from another country, it's really a tricky thing.
    Enlighten me about the tricky part? You go to Erie Pa and buy the guitar or you just go to Toronto I don't see anything tricky. Pay for the guitar in US currency it is done all day and nothing tricky about it at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound

I don't believe it.
    Every Eastman hollowbody/archtop I played (owned three) all had varying degrees of neck heaviness.

User Info Menu

Didn't you own a L-5 in the past. I thought you concluded that for the money, the sound wasn't all that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I think as long as the body is deep enough, there should be enough opposing force, to resist warping.

If it’s a thinline, I’d stay clear. Danny seems happy though but one example doesn’t mean the others will behave the same.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archie
    I
    Danny seems happy though but one example doesn’t mean the others will behave the same.
    Looks like he's got 5 examples!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Looks like he's got 5 examples!
    Every color to match any outfit!