The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 40

User Info Menu

New CC pickup...but for which guitar?-cream-jpg

These Creamery pickups are hand-made, one at a time, and there is a waiting list. It's my favourite pickup. When I ordered it I had a guitar in mind, but now I have three contenders:

1. Epiphone Les Paul Custom - a guitar I'm loving playing, but could do with a little jazz-vibe-push that the CC could bring.

2. Ibanez PM100 - the stock pickup is good already, but the CC would bring out tones not normally associated with it...and Pat has a (different) CC pickup in his latest guitar. Not that I'm chasing his sound.

3. Peerless Cremona - a very nice guitar sitting somewhere between acoustic and electric, but with an uninspiring (to my taste) pickup.

I also need to sell either the PM100 or the Cremona to pay for something else. I love all three guitars equally...which doesn't help!

Decisions, decisions.

Decide for me!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sell me that Creamery!

I’ve been on the “waiting list” since July of last year, and I’m still no closer to getting one!

User Info Menu

OK. Send me $5,000

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    OK. Send me $5,000
    Bummer! I just paid $5,500 for one!

User Info Menu

OK. Send me $5,000
    What, no forum discount?
    You're a hard man Mr M.

User Info Menu

I would put it in the Epi LP. The others, meh IMO, too obvious.

User Info Menu

Actually, I’d put it in the Peerless Cremona. I’ve placed a Biltoft CC Humbucker in the identical Cremona 16”, and the results were astounding!

New CC pickup...but for which guitar?-img_1324-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images New CC pickup...but for which guitar?-img_1290-png 

User Info Menu

Good comments there.

I think the PM100 is happy where it is, so perhaps we could discount that.

I've just this last hour played the Peerless in a Zoom lesson, and it is so enjoyable to play. It seems to be chief contender at the moment.

It would suit the Les Paul too, but I could easily get a pair of Gibson pups for that. Or something else. Hmm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Actually, I’d put it in the Peerless Cremona. I’ve placed a Biltoft CC Humbucker in the identical Cremona 16”, and the results were astounding!
    That might swing it...

User Info Menu

I found using a Lollar HB CC in a solid body too bassy. YMMV.

User Info Menu

In case someone does not want to wait so long on a Creamery: I am planning to try out one (or maybe even two) of those non-boutique non-handmade PUs on my Yamaha tele.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    In case someone does not want to wait so long on a Creamery: I am planning to try out one (or maybe even two) of those non-boutique non-handmade PUs on my Yamaha tele.
    Charlie Christian humbucker == oxymoron!

User Info Menu

I think the PM100 is happy where it is, so perhaps we could discount that.
    Or not? Here's mine with a Biltoft.

New CC pickup...but for which guitar?-img-2889-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    Charlie Christian humbucker == oxymoron!
    A misnomer, it is only humbucker-sized. There is also a real humbucker with two CC style blades.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by osloutah
    Or not? Here's mine with a Biltoft.
    And what do you think of it? Improvement?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Can you get those? I thought Roswell only supplied its pickups to manufacturers.
    I've seen other generics on Reverb etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_G
    Can you get those? I thought Roswell only supplied its pickups to manufacturers.
    I've seen other generics on Reverb etc.
    Music Store (Cologne) sells them. (Thomann not.)

User Info Menu

And what do you think of it? Improvement?
    I don't think the PM100 is very thunky to begin with, but the CC makes it a bit airy and a little woody, along with a touch of hum of course. It's a very expressive voice. I don't say that lightly, since mine is strung with GHS Pat Martino Lights and I have a pretty heavy touch.

I usually try to do a holiday party for friends and family and I've been running through some stuff in the kitchen. PM100 straight into my ZT Lunchbox Junior, natural reverb from the room. Both single note lines and my limited chord melody are making things sound like a lovely vintage Christmas, for whatever that's worth.

User Info Menu

Sounds good!

User Info Menu

I’m wondering if - seeing as I’ll be getting a pickup replacement - it is worth upgrading caps, wiring, etc? I don’t know what the Peerless has already (assuming that’s the “chosen one”). What should one be looking for in that area?

User Info Menu

Well, since the CC pickup is a single coil I would suggest using 250K audio taper pots and an .047 capacitor; a guitar with humbucker's in it probably has 500K audio taper pots and a .022 capacitor. Those will be excessively bright (IMHO) with the CC pickup.

User Info Menu

Exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you, Cunamara!

User Info Menu

It may be worth experimenting though. 250k and 0.047 are not necessarily what Gibson used. I’ve definitely seen 0.022 caps used in vintage Gibson wiring in single coil guitars. I think that’s what they typically used. Pots seemed to be 500k (0.5M), I think. Please someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Thanks for that. But…OK, now I’m confused…

User Info Menu

So, as far as I can make out: 250 + 47 = darker, while 500 + 22 = brighter. But brighter means more clarity when you roll back the tone pot to a darker area. Whereas 250+47 gives you instant darkness, but could possibly under some situations be too muddy?