The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    So, as far as I can make out: 250 + 47 = darker, while 500 + 22 = brighter. But brighter means more clarity when you roll back the tone pot to a darker area. Whereas 250+47 gives you instant darkness, but could possibly under some situations be too muddy?

Lower value Pots are darker.

Higher value Caps are darker.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The thot plickens!

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot for all those infos on pots, caps and tone; might be helpful when I install those Roswell cheapies.

User Info Menu

The thot plickens!

Maybe the Pot Thickens.

User Info Menu

So, as far as I can make out: 250 + 47 = darker, while 500 + 22 = brighter. But brighter means more clarity when you roll back the tone pot to a darker area. Whereas 250+47 gives you instant darkness, but could possibly under some situations be too muddy?
    Yes, 250 & 47 are darker while 500 & 22 are brighter. But that’s not the whole story. There is no consistency to the effect of volume pots on tone (if any) among guitars or the amount of interaction between volume & tone pots unless the guitars have identical wiring. With some wiring schema, changing the volume pot also changes tone and can reduce clarity when backed off. You can easily rewire your guitar to get the effect(s) you want from volume and tone pot settings, but you have to know what you want.

Even with only one pickup, the way it’s wired will affect the interaction between the volume pot setting and tone. You can learn all about it with a little web searching, but here’s a link to the Fralin web page about “ ‘50s” vs “modern” wiring. There are other alternatives as well, some of which isolate the volume pot from tone changes and others that exaggerate a darkening as the volume is backed off.

You can also use a 300k pot (easily found at most major parts suppliers) to go a bit brighter than a 250 but nowhere close to a 500. You can use a 22 tone cap with any pot. You can put a tone cap on the volume pot, etc etc. And you can use a “no load” pot to further alter volume vs tone interaction. A good guitar tech should know all of this and can install / wire a pickup and controls that do what you want quickly and easily if you can’t do it yourself. Select - don’t settle.
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 11-30-2023 at 11:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for that, never. I’m seeing the tech tomorrow. Right now I’m looking at 500/22 with Modern wiring (the link was very clear, thanks). So, readers have 20 hours to change my mind!

User Info Menu

Thanks for that, never. I’m seeing the tech tomorrow. Right now I’m looking at 500/22 with Modern wiring (the link was very clear, thanks). So, readers have 20 hours to change my mind!
    Great - a good tech will make short work of it. There's also a " '60s" wiring scheme, and some little used others that may or may not be worth the wire by which they're connected. ONe thing to consider if you're looking for a consistently clear tone regadless of the volume pot setting is a modification of the "60s scheme that adds a treble bleed cap to the volume pot between the wiper and the input lug:

New CC pickup...but for which guitar?-modified_60s_w_treble_bleed-jpg

With this mod, the transition from clean to crunch is not as smooth on the volume pot. But brightness and clarity are stable regardless of the tone pot setting because of the consistent treble bleed from the hot pickup lead to the output.

User Info Menu

Hmm, something to add to the mix. I’ll discuss it all with the tech tomorrow, and perhaps give the idea that I just might know what I’m talking about!

User Info Menu

Jaime, the guy who is Creamery Pickups suggests 500/22 and Modern wiring. Looks like we’ll go with that. It could always be changed later, though at extra expense.

User Info Menu

Jaime, the guy who is Creamery Pickups suggests 500/22 and Modern wiring. Looks like we’ll go with that. It could always be changed later, though at extra expense.
    That's a fine choice. It should sound very smooth and articulate, and the tone pot will not affect volume at all. Be aware that with that scheme, the treble will fall off a bit and darken the tone as you dial the volume pot back.

User Info Menu

Good to know. Thanks for all your help. I now have someone to blame if it sounds crap

User Info Menu

Good to know. Thanks for all your help. I now have someone to blame if it sounds crap
    New CC pickup...but for which guitar?-blame_it_on_the_bossa_nova-jpg

User Info Menu

It's with the tech. Could take a week or two at this time of year. He was VERY impressed with the Peerless Cremona, "Gibson Custom Shop are often worse than this". He will try a few settings and setups for the "best jazz sound", including trying treble bleed, etc, recording readings as he goes. He seems to know what I am looking for, and will find ways to get it. We shall see. He definitely appeared to know what he was talking about. He's the sort of guy who lives surrounded by old gear - Gibson and Gretsch archtops from the 60s - and is into vintage amps too, but more on the Rock side. The visit gave me a degree of confidence in his skills. Name: Martin Decades...which is interesting in itself.

User Info Menu

Hi Rob - I'd be interested to hear how this turned out, as I'm considering a similar swap from humbucker to Creamery CC in full-body 16" archtop (not Peerless).

User Info Menu

Turned out great. I did a post about it here:

Peerless Cremona with Creamery CC Pickup