The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Going with the idea that the round core strings have less tension and the ones I prefer are Thomastik roundwounds bebops. These are great but they do cost so looking to see if any other alternatives can give the same feel in play and general characteristics. Checking the various sites, I see that these are around and wonder if anyone uses them? Normal gauge I use is .12-.52 with variations within those general sets.

I. GHS Boomer they list a BYL option too unsure what that means
    2 DR strings the Pure Blues
    3 Rotosound.

Are there any other strings I am missing?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey Deacon!I like Stringjoy "Broadways" -- they have round cores (and their other models are hex, which also work great!). Marc

User Info Menu

I use round wounds on my Ibanez AF55 and I've replaced TI Bebops with DR Pure Blues... I'm hooked on them, won't let them go!

User Info Menu

I think at least one reason TI strings have a softer feel is that the core is smaller than many other brands. TI sizes metric, and markets gauges to the nearest thousandth, so both the plain and wrapped strings have a smaller steel core than the advertised gauge. Maybe there is a difference in feel between hex and round cores of the same nominal gauge, but I can't tell any.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I think at least one reason TI strings have a softer feel is that the core is smaller than many other brands. TI sizes metric, and markets gauges to the nearest thousandth, so both the plain and wrapped strings have a smaller steel core than the advertised gauge.
    They'd have to round down to the nearest higher imperial measure or else some strings would be heavier than the advertised gauge.

Someone somewhere on here also said that they use German steel, which supposedly is a little softer than the Swedish equivalent.

User Info Menu

I have never played Thomastik, because I am not in that income bracket. But I have been using Rotosound exclusively for the last five years. They make several types of guitar string in a factory in Sevenoaks, Kent, England. I would recommend any of them.

User Info Menu

Pyramid hand polished. Very low tension heavier gauging. Worth a try, that said String joy Broadways are closest to the Thomastik rounds if that's what your going for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frabarmus
    I use round wounds on my Ibanez AF55 and I've replaced TI Bebops with DR Pure Blues... I'm hooked on them, won't let them go!
    +1 on the DR Pure Blues. Excellent strings at a great price.

User Info Menu

Over the past 6 months i have become a huge fan of Newtone Archtop strings.I have there 12-52 set on one of my Eastmans and they sound and feel terrific.Just like Thomastik,their gauges feel lighter than the given number so a 12 set feels more like 11's.Newtones are less than half the price of Thomastik also.
    Last edited by nyc chaz; 11-28-2023 at 11:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Last I heard Newtone strings are no longer sold in the US, although some resellers may still have some stock left.

User Info Menu

Newtones are my string of choice. Their round core strings are wonderful. I use a custom set: 13 17 25 32 42 53. Perfect string for an archtop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Last I heard Newtone strings are no longer sold in the US, although some resellers may still have some stock left.
    They can be bought straight from Newtone in England.I'm in NY and they took only 5 days to arrive from overseas.I order things in the U.S. and they don't come that fast.

User Info Menu

I use Martin Titaniums on a small acoustic. Gives my imagination the sound of old blues. And a marvelous easy to bend feel.