The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Here are a few black archtops. I’m doubtful that the ES-250 started out black. Oddly enough, it probably had a natural finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by equenda
    Thank you all for the answers. I learned several new things and that's great.
    A curiosity that may interest you is that I live about 25 miles from Cremona. I know some luthiers who don't make guitars but only violins and cellos. I'm told the only reason to paint an instrument black is to hide defects. :smile-new:
    Ettore
    As you can see, there's another reason to paint it black: a lot of guitar players love it. Vin's black and gold Wes is truly magnificent and, as has been said, beautifully photographed! Same for RhythmMan's offerings. I've never seen a NY'er style I liked more than that Lacey. And how cool is a CC pickup on black. Very elegant.

Black cello? Not the same animal.

I'll add to what Vin said earlier: there's nothing that strikes fear in a finisher's heart like a hi-gloss black opaque lacquer on wood. It's really difficult to get right. Calling it paint is a bit... dismissive?

The real problem with a black guitar is the white dings. Nothing a black sharpie can't fix :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    by the way, did you sell your af200 and gb100?
    Jz never saw you post, couldn't find it.

GB100 long gone. Now residing in Palo Alto.
    Still have the AF200. Selling for £1,200

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archie
    Jz never saw you post, couldn't find it.

GB100 long gone. Now residing in Palo Alto.
    Still have the AF200. Selling for £1,200
    It was literally the last post in both threads!

User Info Menu

Here's probably the most famous black hollow body of them all. A nice presentation about Howard Robert's "Black Guitar". Video starts at 2:15 past the intro by Jay Roberts.

User Info Menu

HRs album Color Him Funky featured him playing his black guitar and as a kid I was taken by his sound.
    In 1968 at 17 I got to hear him live at Dante's in LA. Sealed my fate, no turning back!
    In 2004-5 Slaman built me my homage to HRs Black guitar. No thumb cutaway, 25" scale,Lollar CC.
    Daniel suggested a "transparent black" rather than solid black so in some light it looks like very dark brown and the grain is visible on close inspection. I love black hollow bodies and my other main guitar is a black Reverend PA-1.
    Attached Images Attached Images The truth about black hollowbody guitars?-p3040384-jpg The truth about black hollowbody guitars?-p3040393-01-jpeg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    It was literally the last post in both threads!
    Sorry I’ve been dipping in and out for the last month or two. I’m up to my eye balls in sorting out this workshop.

Pm me next time.