The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Was curious to see if anyone has some firsthand experience with these amps to pass on. The audio examples are great, (with a grain of phone speaker salt) and my interaction with Geoff has been outstanding answering my questions. I'm just about sold. That being said, there's not a whole lot of 3rd party feedback, at least that I can find.

Pros
    -Small, low power, all tube, and able to achieve good living room volumes. 28 lbs, easier to drag to a friend's house to jam. I don't gig.

-50s esque tone with that little bit of hairy breakup when digging in. A key feature for me, without having to dick around with pedals.

Minimalist controls: two knobs. Tone and volume. I love this. Fingers>Guitar>Amp is something I try to stick to.

Aesthetics: I like the vintage vibe, without the hassle

Cons: pricey, though I don't really care all that much. Work life leaves me perpetually hot /cold /wet /tired/ in pain. A few luxurious things make it all worthwhile at the end of the day

Current setup is pretty simple. Sadowsky ss15 into an all original 68 twin with jbls. No complaints, other than it's heavy and loud....So I guess two complaints. Was my father's so I won't ever sell it.

Cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello, and Welcome!

That model has always intrigued me, too! I believe one of our members, @Coolvinny, has/had one of the originals, so maybe he'll jump in here with some thoughts.

If you're wanting "old vibe," I recommend also checking out Vintage 47 Amps in So Cal!

Happy Hunting!

Marc

Thanks. I'll check those out for sure. The real deal vintage gear is great, but like my first home - a turn of the century Dutch Colonial, with it's many charms there seemed to be a few headaches lurking around the corner! Same reason I gave up my quest for an early 175. I know they're out there, but it's a gamble.

User Info Menu

The original concept was that of Michael Biller's, RIP, of Sound Island Music.
    Michael worked with Verellen, a custom boutique amp builder in Seattle, to build the early Sequel's.
    I was playing guitar with Michael one day and he was playing through the prototype Skoter.
    I liked it so much that I asked him if I could buy it from him. He told me that it was the prototype, and that he had several things he wanted changed, and that it wasn't quite ready. He wanted a push/pull bright on the volume, and it didn't yet have an on/off light on it. I was intrigued by the simplicity and warm sound, and Michael said he'd sell it to me after the changes had been worked out. Well, after a time, on Christmas 2018, he finally called me and said he was ready to let it go, and the only thing we needed to do was to agree on a price, which we did. Michael was a beautiful person and a great friend. I have the 1st Skoter. It's a great little amp. Simple. Small. I'm glad I bought it. It won't be leaving my possession any time soon. It works for me.

Awesome info. Thank you. The subject matter experts like you are the reason I hopped on board here. Reminds me of a relevant at the time military small arms forum I would frequent years ago that was filled with industry professionals and vetted "been there done that" folks. For knowledge seekers there was an absolute treasure trove of information to discover there. I get the same feeling here.