The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Well actually a few days ago. Anyway, I quite like it. The tone is amazing, both unamplified and amplified. What a pretty sound. It is a feedback monster, though. I love 57 classic pickups. This guitar is a 2003 and has barely been played. No real blemishes on the finish and only some minor corrosion on the tailpiece. A little cleanup of the finish, cleaned and oiled the fretboard, restrung and set up and ready to go. I had to add a strap button as well.

What I don't like: Well it's not a 7 string. If they made 'em in a 7, that's what I'd have. If I could combine that lush sound of a chord played with the low A string with everything that this guitar has to offer, that would be the dream guitar for me. And don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the sound of my Palen 7. Also, the one flaw on this guitar is the mounting of the pickup selector switch. It's mounted in the grommet which I'm fine with, but the entire switch assembly wiggles when I flip the switch. I can neither tighten, nor loosen the knurled nut. I pulled the bridge pup, but I can't get a hand or a tool inside the body to hold the underside of the switch assembly. Anyone have experience with one of these? Of all of the guitars I've worked on, I've not had to work on one of these Gibson grommet mounted switches.

2003 Gibson L-5-img_7354-jpg2003 Gibson L-5-img_7355-jpg2003 Gibson L-5-img_7357-jpg2003 Gibson L-5-img_7356-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congrats! May she inspire your playing for many years to come.

And good on you for being able to toggle back and fort between 6 and 7 string. I tried and found that I couldn't do it, so away went my 7 strings. 6 Strings is plenty challenging for me TBH.

User Info Menu

Beautiful specimen. Top of the food chain guitar. A big Congratulations.

User Info Menu

Nice!!

User Info Menu

It is a beautiful guitar and the top of the food chain. They don't get better only different. I always make an ebony saddle for mine if they have the tunomatic. Tunomatics are not really any more accurate despite what some say. Play the frets off that guitar and like SS I let my 7 string go, 6 cause enough problems.

User Info Menu

The benchmark! That is beautiful. Everything about it is perfect.
    And the best thing? They come in a variety of colors, and number of pickup options. So you can collect them all!
    It doesn’t get better.
    Congratulations. And thanks for sharing.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Yeah, baby!!!

User Info Menu

every jazz player that can afford one should at least own one once in their life if possible.
    I said it before, a zillion yrs ago when I went from a 175 to an L-5 it was like stepping up to a Rolls...that multiply binding, even a layer on the f holes, the heavy brass/gold plated L-5 engraved tailpiece, the ebony board w/ the pearl blocks and cupids bow at the end, the pearl flowerpot headstock inlay and the 'custom' truss rod cover--even though there's nothing really custom about the guitar, made you feel like you were in some sort of exclusive club.
    but most of all the feel and SOUND!

made you want to practice even harder I tell ya....

congrats....
    Last edited by wintermoon; 11-23-2023 at 03:54 AM.

User Info Menu

Beautiful burst. The first guitar I ever had with the rubber grommet was a 275. I think they are supposed to be loose like that. It surprised me too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Beautiful burst. The first guitar I ever had with the rubber grommet was a 275. I think they are supposed to be loose like that. It surprised me too.
    I had a 275 for a short while. I don’t remember the switch being this wobbly. My concern is that I can’t even loosen it to se if there is a problem.

User Info Menu

The bridge pickup is pretty far away from the grommet, try the neck pickup.
    I have big hands but have been able to get my fingers in there far enough to grab the assembly.

User Info Menu

Stunning (I tried to type that in all caps, but…)

Seriously, gorgeous!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    The bridge pickup is pretty far away from the grommet, try the neck pickup.
    I have big hands but have been able to get my fingers in there far enough to grab the assembly.
    I’m sorry. I wrote that incorrectly. I pulled the neck pup. I have no idea why I wrote bridge. The opening is just too small to get a hand in there and just far away enough so my fingers can’t reach.

User Info Menu

Stew Mac probably sells some outrageously priced tool to get in there.

User Info Menu

Yes, SM does sell a moderately priced wire utensil. It' s bendable, but efficient.
    On my L5CES, the switch is not wobbly.
    Last edited by Jimmy Mack; 11-23-2023 at 12:24 AM. Reason: adding to it

User Info Menu

From here, even those photos sound good!

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

What a beauty! Congrats!

User Info Menu

I had a 275 with the rubber grommet. Had my luthier make an ebony replacement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Stew Mac probably sells some outrageously priced tool to get in there.
    I use hemostats to get to internal parts. You can get a set of 6 for $15 from the usual online sources. I put thin rubber tubing over the tips to prevent damage to delicate pieces. Here’s a set Iike the one I use:

2003 Gibson L-5-img_1812-jpeg
    I’ve heated and bent the shafts just above the ring grips on a few curved ones for better access to the underside of the top. If you do that, the locking teeth may no longer align perfectly. This doesn’t matter, since you’re not going to clamp anything that tightly anyway. Pad the entire rim of any hole you use for access - it’s easy to rub the wood with the shafts without realizing it. Heavy foam tape works great on poly. For delicate finishes, I drape thick cloth over the edges.

I also use a bore scope to see exactly what needs to be grabbed and where. An inspection mirror is fine where there’s access for light, but a cheap battery powered scope has built in illumination. Once I know the layout, I can feel my way through it. But it’s a huge help to know exactly what’s in there before starting. Phones won’t fit through pickup openings, and pics through f holes probably won’t show selector switches that are in the upper bout.

User Info Menu

Pardon my ignorance, but can the whole grommet assembly be pulled out of the top? Or is the grommet too tight?

User Info Menu

Clever, those hemostats. I use this modest endoscope...comes in handy for all sorts of things.

2003 Gibson L-5-endoscope-png

User Info Menu

Pardon my ignorance, but can the whole grommet assembly be pulled out of the top? Or is the grommet too tight?
    The grommet is a slip fit in the hole, but you have to remove the switch to get it out. So you still need a method for holding the switch.

User Info Menu

I had a Byrdland and a S400 with a very wobbly switch and the knurled nut tightened max. It was because the top was carved thinner and the switch had to be removed and a extra washer stacked underneath with the star washer on the threaded shaft.
    Gibson has been known to forget the star washer too.

User Info Menu

Wow, fantastic guitar!!

If the nut on the switch won't turn, maybe it is as tight as it can go. Be careful, as the rubber grommet is not available. This one in the picture is a reproduction and it is different and required modification for the switch to fit correctly.
    2003 Gibson L-5-dscf6619-jpg

User Info Menu

Epiphone is making guitars with these. Maybe worth a try though dealer