The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

Ngd

User Info Menu

From Guitar Fetish…

LOVE the sparkly Lake Placid Blue body. I could never get a finish like that in 10,000 years.

Ngd-img_6367-jpg

Ngd-img_6368-jpg

Ngd-img_6369-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My favorite color

User Info Menu

coooool i wonder what it’ll be
    when you put it that stuff together ?

User Info Menu

That color looks a bit different than my Lake Placid Blue Strat.....Ngd-369860811_972851273809746_9028022469479893059_n-jpg

User Info Menu

How are these XGP bodies typically? I was looking at a double-bound sunburst tele body and the price is really great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    That color looks a bit different than my Lake Placid Blue Strat.....Ngd-369860811_972851273809746_9028022469479893059_n-jpg
    Nice guit. The difference might be an effect of the light. The GFS color is listed as "Lake Placid Blue".

I am going to sell this at an auction for my high school--nickname is Big Blue. Hence the blue body.

Quote Originally Posted by chris32895
    How are these XGP bodies typically? I was looking at a double-bound sunburst tele body and the price is really great.
    It is very nice quality, alder I believe. I realized when it arrived that the XGP has a "vintage" rout and will not accommodate a "modern" bridge plate (which I had ordered). So I had to order another vintage bridge plate ($15). If you want a modern bridge, you should order the Lido bodies--though they did not have one in the LPB color which I was wanting.

Also FYI the pickguard did not come with mounting screws, and only the body neck pocket, string through-holes and ferrule holes, and headstock tuner holes were predrilled. The rest of the screw holes have to be drilled. Should not require advanced woodworking skills though.

The finger board is paua ferro btw. I've not seen one before. Very nice finger feel, and looks pretty cool--kind of like black palm, if you're familiar with that. The "Brazilian ironwood" used in guitar-making is probably a Machaerium, related to black locust and soybeans interestingly.

User Info Menu

Is this a kit, or did you order all those components a la carte?

User Info Menu

Nice project!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Is this a kit, or did you order all those components a la carte?
    Ala carte. GFS sells a kit for about $100, but components look cheaper, also the headstock is not shaped or finished and the body is not finished. No substitutions.

Stew Mac also sells a kit for $200 which looks better quality, and a really nice Wilkinson kit for $400. Again, requires finishing and shaping the headstock. I thought about getting the Stew Mac kit and substituting the GFS LPB body, but would have been more $$.

User Info Menu

Great blue..

User Info Menu

Made a minor boo-boo. I thought the neck pickup was attached to the pickguard, like my other Tele. Nope, it was meant to be screwed into the body. I had already made holes for mounting to the pickguard. Not a biggie, except…

I don’t have screws/bolts for that.

The number of different screws unique to guitars is rather astounding, about half of which are not available at the local Ace hardware. Guess I should just order a big assortment of guitar screws and bolts.

User Info Menu

The only thing I hate about Guitar Fetish is, they're about ten miles from me and won't let me pick stuff up at the warehouse - I've emailed and begged but they just say they're not set up for walk in customers. I just hate paying shipping to get something from across town. I got a Paulownia body from them a couple years ago and it took a LOT of sanding but I think that was more the wood's fault than theirs. I've seen several comments lately about their quality improving quite a bit.

User Info Menu

“Mr. DeMille, I’m ready for my closeup…”

Ngd-img_6389-jpg