The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 77
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Brings up the idea of a Jaguar, which I think is 24” scale. That might be a great first guitar for playing a lot of different styles of music.

Squier Classic Vibe '70s Jaguar | Reverb

Hey, Kurt Cobain, Tom Verlaine and Johnny Marr…
    Well, I'm sold. That's a really pretty instrument, and the color scheme is.. about perfect in my eyes. A bit more pastel than I'd prefer, but fairly close to the Reseda green that I totally love for electronics.

And, well.. Johnny Marr? Say no more.. what a tremendous and innovative player. Can't help but like Morrissey, too.. between he and John Lydon, I don't know which is the more stand-up & decent guy. Outstanding Britons, both.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Brings up the idea of a Jaguar, which I think is 24” scale. That might be a great first guitar for playing a lot of different styles of music.

Squier Classic Vibe '70s Jaguar | Reverb
    That's very cool, love the color.

User Info Menu

You damn well better give the the color choice

And yes, she's a small woman, about 5'2" with small girly hands. She's also disabled, so keeping the size & weight down are good things.

On the subject of neat equipment aesthetics, here's a set of tube amps that I built for myself back in the 90s. The color scheme is just about my ideal..

Atma-Sphere M-60 Mk.III Monoblock Amplifiers with Speltz ZERO Autoformers - Audio Asylum Trader

ETA: BTW, Before anyone gets the wrong impression, I'm not a player. I'm a now-retired electronic tech and non-musician analog synth noodler. I'm much more into the gear side of things, mostly because I never developed any playing skills. But I do enjoy crazy synth freakouts, so I do as I can.

User Info Menu

A first guitar for the wife - suggestions?

I know there's a joke here somewhere but...

User Info Menu

You don't happen to be handy with wood and tools, and properly equipped to build one, even from a kit? That's probably the best way to avoid China-made stuff while staying on a budget ... and she'll hold her value as it'll be mostly sentimental

E.g. Electric Guitar Kits - StewMac

Or, since she's a small woman: make her a cigarbox or license plate guitar (you probably not need routers or any other fancy equipment for those), and offer one of Justin Johnson's methods along with it. Not really metal or new wave but it should give her a solid basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    You damn well better give the the color choice
    Something tells me it would inevitably be Cobalt blue.. in which case I might just as well buy a Harley Benton kit and have the body done in that shade.

User Info Menu

Most electric guitars can do metal. With all the overdrive/distortion coloring the sound, one guitar doesn't sound that different from the other. However, some metal players often like to drop tune (tune the guitar lower than normal) or play 7 string guitars to get the really low notes for some of their riffs.

And, by the way, the Harley Benton in the video example has a shorter neck than the Fender (a little easier to play for those with smaller hands). It's an SG copy, Gibson SG have shorter necks than Fender Strats or Teles

Also, an electric guitar needs some sort of amplification. Have you got plans for that?

Listen how similar these guitars sound when they are played with distortion:

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Most electric guitars can do metal. With all the overdrive/distortion coloring the sound, one guitar doesn't sound that different from the other.
    Aye.

Also, an electric guitar needs some sort of amplification. Have you got plans for that?
    Amps I have, more or less. I've two 15W practice amps, a Crate and a Squier.

(I'll probably hand her the better of the two ? which I'll guess is the Squier, considering some of the things I've read / heard about those little Crates.)

Then there's my Peavey KB 300 (Type 1) keyboard amp for the synths. Lastly, there's a Polytone Taurus Elite.. which actually brought me to this forum when I was seeking info on it.

The latter two are both "clean" amps, not really built for R&R guitar, but with a decent distortion effect either will probably work fine(?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    A first guitar for the wife - suggestions?

I know there's a joke here somewhere but...
    A friend of mine bought Mercedes 450 without talking with his wife. She made him take it back. How embarrassing. My uncle, who owns a vintage 450, said “I’d have sent back the wife instead. “

User Info Menu

I keep thinking of those 2 guys talking at work on a Monday morning. The one asks the other - " So, what'd you do this weekend ? "

And the other guy says. " Well, you know, with the holidays coming up and all, I went out and got a guitar for my wife. "

And the other guys says :

" Boy, I wish I could make a trade like that . "

: )

A friend of mine bought Mercedes 450 without talking with his wife. She made him take it back. How embarrassing. My uncle, who owns a vintage 450, said “I’d have sent back the wife instead. “
    Geeze, talk about your total amateur mistakes!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    " Boy, I wish I could make a trade like that . "
    Most excellent, sir!

User Info Menu

Most electric guitars can do metal. With all the overdrive/distortion coloring the sound, one guitar doesn't sound that different from the other. However, some metal players often like to drop tune (tune the guitar lower than normal) or play 7 string guitars to get the really low notes for some of their riffs.
    Oh, man! Am I going to have to disagree with you on this one. It’s not even close to all humbucker loaded guitars that can do metal. At least not well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Am I going to have to disagree with you on this one.
    But I thought they all had steel strings?

Wasn't it on here that someone posted a couple of e-guitar debunking by some cowboy (pardon, country music artist) including one in which he showed that you can make the empty space between 2 desks sound like a famous (expensive) e-guitar, provided you put a similar enough PU at the same distance from the saddle and to the strings?
    Last edited by RJVB; 11-21-2023 at 05:29 PM.

User Info Menu

The Chinese Government can name itself anything, but I think unless communism now includes extensive, and universally invasive aspects of capitalism… I not sure the name applies. Maybe totalitarian capitalism would be more appropriate a title. Communism is an economic structure, not a political structure. However there is always an interaction between the two. I would argue that the fetish-ized “capitalism” here in the US is having an negative impact on the democratic structure. But who knows maybe I am wrong, needless to say I have been painting with a wide brush, and that I do not support any structures that do not allow for a democratic process.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by st.bede
    The Chinese Government can name itself anything...
    Oh no, the forum got hacked!

User Info Menu

Most electric guitars can do metal.
    I assumes you mean solid bodies? But then, there's this:

User Info Menu

I assumes you mean solid bodies? But then, there's this:

Here’s another disagreement, I guess. I’m fine with the Nuge being classified as hard rock, but metal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

If you read the thread, we are talking about solid body guitars only.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Here’s another disagreement, I guess. I’m fine with the Nuge being classified as hard rock, but metal?
    I'd agree. The Motor City Madman is a hard r&r player, not metal. He most certainly did influence a number of metal players / styles, though.

So here's a plan for now. I'll put together a list of suggestions, using your input as well. She'll stop by a couple music stores and handle a few instruments, see what feels right, has a good weight, tone, looks, etc.

Once she has an idea what's what, I can start hunting up a piece to buy.

Sound reasonable?

User Info Menu

Just one more suggestion:

EART Guitars T-380 Modern Humbucker Pickups Double Coil Split Two Point Tremolo Bridge Solid Body Electric Guitars
    https://a.co/d/0TIWk6V

These get A TON of love by online reviewers. An advantage of buying from Amazon (in the US at least) is home deliveries and no question asked returns if anything is wrong.

I have a Harley Benton and it’s been great fun. But I did have to give it a proper fret dress and setup. These Eart guitars supposedly are great right out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Proj

User Info Menu

Whatever you buy, make sure it has, or gets, a decent setup. Nothing kills the desire to play guitar more than one that is difficult to play because of high nut slots and high action. That's how guitars are delivered from the factory, for economic reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Whatever you buy, make sure it has, or gets, a decent setup. Nothing kills the desire to play guitar more than one that is difficult to play because of high nut slots and high action. That's how guitars are delivered from the factory, for economic reasons.
    Aye, this is as I'd presumed.

I've strung & tuned gits in the past, but not much more. Being the tech that I am, I'll probably take in whatever tutorials & so forth that I can find, then decide if doing a more complete setup on a new piece is within my abilities.

ETA: Watched & read several setup tuts. There's nothing there I cannot handle, and most of the tools I either have or can improvise. Do need to pick up a pack of torch tip cleaners.. or nut files as they are also known.
    Last edited by WimWalther; 11-22-2023 at 03:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Maybe get her a gift certificate to a guitar store for your budgeted amount. Then you can go together and select the one that seems best, but still have a surprise factor.

Yes, it’s cool to have a guitar with a bow around it on Christmas morning or whatever. BANG!

But that’s mainly a feel good buzz for you yourself, honestly. For HER, it would be good to hold and play different guitars.