The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Gibson es 175:what year do you prefer?
    Last edited by archtopdream63; 11-19-2023 at 06:01 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’ve not owned a recent 175 but I had 3 older ones:

A 1959 with 2 PAFs. Really nice guitar, and versatile. Sorry I sold it. Most of them have been stripped of their original pickups by now. I hear the reissues were good.

1956 with one P-90. A fine sounding guitar, and lightweight.

c 1980 ES 175CC. Didn’t like this one much. Construction was different from the older ones. Great sound, but just did one thing well. Fed back really easily.

I guess I’m not really a 175 guy or I would have kept one.

User Info Menu

The answer for me is the same for ES175, L5CES, ES335, S400CES, Les Paul- and that would generally be 1956-1960.

The market reflects this, they are all really expensive instruments.

So are you talking about these or models from the mid-60’s forward? There are eras of later instruments that someone else would know more about than me.

User Info Menu

Prefer as a player or as an investment?

I have zero expertise in investments and I have not played ES175 from every year, but I have a hint that every year has good and bad guitars. And to my experience they all sound a bit different from each other anyway, so there is many variables!

I currently have one from ’80s mahogany era, very nice instrument. And I have a 1954 Reissue from 2015 w/ P90s. Very sturdy, balanced and beautiful guitar.

I compared it lately and shortly to a real 1954 ES175 and THAT was maybe the best ES175 I’ve ever held in my hands, but it’s price takes it to the investment category, so it is from different league.

User Info Menu

In the past couple of years, I've had a 2006, 1953, 1954, and 2014 VOS reissue of a 1959 visit for a while. The 1954 is sadly in the case because it arrived with broken braces and is awaiting return to the vendor. It has the same neck profile as my old 1955 ES-125—the best neck profiles I've ever laid hands on. That said, overall I am partial to the 2014 VOS reissue because it has the advantage of being newer with (I hope) longer shelf life before problems start to arise. It's got like 80% of the mojo of the real deal, but feels somehow safer to own given the dollar amounts in question.

User Info Menu

Glad this came up, Ive had my '74 since '76. Over the years Ive heard numerous remarks about pre norlin 175s being better built better sounding etc. After reading numerous posts here about these guitars I did some measuring and weighing on mine (nat D model) also talking with an old friend and collector who has several including a 60s with PAFs. My '74 weighs 6.5 lbs and is 4.3mm top thickness, the build is flawless with beautiful old growth maple and most of all a 3pc mahogany neck which many consider to be their best neck. It has a fine even resonant tone unamplified and sounds exactly like a 175. Unfortunately my friend lives on the other coast so we cant put them next to each other but he knows my guitar (although its been some time). His take is this, from a playing point of view you will prefer the one you prefer and that has nothing to do with year, model or comparative quality. From a construction point of view concerning early( 175s) the pre norlins have no advantage over the up to '74-75 norlins (his take) in sound or cosmetics. From my point of view Ive never played or heard a 175 I didnt like except some early models with fat necks and later models from memphis. I like that my guitar was made in Kalamazoo and being a Heritage fan also I dig the idea that Ren W was in the shop when both my Gibsons were made and my Heritages more than 20yrs apart. My measurements confirm that '74-75 norlins were no different in construction than the mid to later 60s models and in fact thinner top than some. Having had the guitar for near 50yrs Ive tried many strings, setups and pickups. For the last few years Ive settled on 13 thom flats and installed '57 classics. When I asked my friend about pickups his take was clear, Playing low and clean he saw no sonic advantage with the PAFs however turn it up and its a different story and pushed a little they cant be beat for blues, rock etc. I would also add that W Carter and Ingram have written books on Gibson that while entertaining are far from scholarly and completely ignore many of the important facts about the archtops. I mostly play my carved archtops and have thought about selling my 175 several times but...every time I take it out and play it I change my mind and am really glad Ive held on to it.
    On a personal note if I was going to pay 5 figures for a vintage guitar Im pretty sure it wouldnt be a 175
    YMMV

User Info Menu

I had an ‘82 and currently have an ‘88. I didn’t notice any flaws with the ‘82. Seemed very “sturdy”.

The ‘88 is very nice. I think the 80’s models give you a lot of bang for the buck, Norlin-era or not, and might be in the sweet spot of condition and affordability.

If you can get Shaw pickups, that would be ideal, because they are typically thought of as mimicking the PAF design very closely.

User Info Menu

The best year of the ES175 will be different to each owner. :-)

As far as I'm concerned the best year is the one that I found. It's an '89 with Shaw pickups that I love!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler

As far as I'm concerned the best year is the one that I found. It's an '89 with Shaw pickups that I love!

I agree, yours is almost as nice as mine!

User Info Menu

p.s. as a retired cabinetmaker that sure is a sexy lookin ? behind the guitar!

User Info Menu

I have a 1955 with dual P90s. As others have said, this era had very light builds. Possibly an anomaly for the time, but the neck on mine is unusually small and has a 1-5/8" nut (I think I'd actually prefer it to be a bit bigger). But the whole guitar has this mojo which is hard to put into words. The vintage P90s are just incredible. Airy and acousticy (especially with the volume rolled down), but yet somehow thick at the same time. Definitely a different breed of cat than the modern instruments. And as wonderful of a jazz box as it is, it's more than up to the task for other "roots" styles.

Players grade models are out there. If you're patient, they come up at good prices from time to time. Guitar Center had a single pickup version (I think it was a '49) for something like $3600 not too long ago. And there was a '50s dual P-90 with a replaced fingerboard (ebony with large blocks) that recently sold on Reverb for $3200.

User Info Menu

My favorites are the two that I have. '55 and '72.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rickco
    p.s. as a retired cabinetmaker that sure is a sexy lookin ? behind the guitar!
    Thanks, Rickco. That's a custom solid wood cab (flame maple/purpleheart) I had built about 20 years ago for my modified Fender Blues Jr.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Rickco. That's a custom solid wood cab (flame maple/purpleheart) I had built about 20 years ago for my modified Fender Blues Jr.
    especially like the fan pattern and grill, work looks really nice!

User Info Menu

I have owned four 175’s over the years and could have been very happy with any one of them. My first was a brand new 1969 ES-175D that I bought when I was in high school. I gigged with that guitar for about 50 years and loved it. It had a great feeling neck with a 1 11/16” nut and sounded fantastic with its original Pat no. pickups. I thought that guitar couldn’t be beat….until I found a completely original 1959 ES-175DN about 20 years ago. I kept both guitars for a long time and even took them both to gigs occasionally, to see how they compared. The ‘59 with its original paf’s just sounds a little better and I love it’s slightly chunkier neck. I also had a late 1990’s ES-175DN and a 2001 ES-165 Herb Ellis for a while. They were both very nice guitars too, especially the 165. In the end, I sold all but the ‘59, which is my favourite one. My second choice was the Herb Ellis model, which is a lot of guitar for the money if you can find one.
    Keith
    Gibson ES-175 year preferences-uuid-67b75953-d127-4d19-8d5a-320901b376b3-library-1-type-1-mode-1-loc-true-cap-true-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    I have owned four 175’s over the years and could have been very happy with any one of them. My first was a brand new 1969 ES-175D that I bought when I was in high school. I gigged with that guitar for about 50 years and loved it. It had a great feeling neck with a 1 11/16” nut and sounded fantastic with its original Pat no. pickups. I thought that guitar couldn’t be beat….until I found a completely original 1959 ES-175DN about 20 years ago. I kept both guitars for a long time and even took them both to gigs occasionally, to see how they compared. The ‘59 with its original paf’s just sounds a little better and I love it’s slightly chunkier neck. I also had a late 1990’s ES-175DN and a 2001 ES-165 Herb Ellis for a while. They were both very nice guitars too, especially the 165. In the end, I sold all but the ‘59, which is my favourite one. My second choice was the Herb Ellis model, which is a lot of guitar for the money if you can find one.
    Keith
    Gibson ES-175 year preferences-uuid-67b75953-d127-4d19-8d5a-320901b376b3-library-1-type-1-mode-1-loc-true-cap-true-jpeg
    That is a beauty, Keith! I believe you chose wisely!

User Info Menu

I have a 1968 that was sold to me as new in 1972.

Nice instrument but the workmanship, fit and finish are mediocre at best.

After owning 3 Eastmans (still have them) my choice today would be a new Eastman, a far better instrument at a price a player can afford.

User Info Menu

Nice

I have a blonde '85 ES-175D that I love. I have been hearing about the Shaw pickups as being some of the better pickups and maybe mine has those as well. It seems to be from that era.

Mine has the laminated mahogany back and sides, which is OK by me. The back and sides have lots of finish checking, though. My 88 L4CES also has lots of checking on the back and sides. Maybe the finish from that era had issues or maybe I just didn't store them as I should have. I plan on keeping them for as long as I can, so I'm not worried about their resale value all that much.

I haven't played that many other 175s. I have been very happy with my 85 and don't see myself looking for another one. Maybe, if I find a really good deal on one from the 50s.

Since I bought the 175, I've built up a nice collection of higher end Gibson archtops ... L4CES, L5CES, L5WES, Le Grand, Super 400 and even a Citation. The 175 is as good as any of my other archtops for tone and playability ... except for maybe the Citation. Sometimes, I think I should have stuck with the 175 and saved my money.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Keith
    Beautiful, Keith! That's about as good as it gets- unless you happen on a '59 L5CES. Then you have a tough decision to make! And many would still pick the ES175!

User Info Menu

I have had eleven over the years, but only have 6 now. They were/are two '56's, two 57's, one '58, two '59's, one '62, one '64, two '65's. I also have/had a 1974 HR Custom, a '75 HR Custom, a '77 HR Artist, and a '92 Herb Ellis ES-165. My Herb Ellis was a dud for some reason even after changing to a Classic 57 pick up. Like the HR's it was a slightly heavier build. The '65's had the narrower nut which I decided didn't work for me. All the early 175's up through 1964 were/are wonderful boxes and some have had real PAF's or a P90 and others had PAF clones. I am convinced it is all in the box, the clone pick ups pass the blindfold test so don't let that stop you from snagging a vintage one.

Keepers..
    Gibson ES-175 year preferences-ad98c2fa-65f0-4c33-ab8f-80cb87ba5095-jpeg

User Info Menu

I only ever had two. A 1954 with a single P90. And a 1979 ES175/CC. They were very different animals. 54 was light and resonant while 79 was heavier and maybe more sturdy. Had the 54 in 1978-80, and the CC in the mid 90s. The 1954 would be my preference now but I was never comfortable with 16" guitars with full depth bodies .

User Info Menu

Limited experience, but I have a '59 VOS that I love and played against a buddy's real '59... I would say it was 90% or more the equal of the vintage model, but required re-gluing a brace and getting a neck hump reduced through some luthier wizardry (not by me!). Plus a pickup rattle that I finally fixed with a jammed in portion of a heavy pick. Also had to glue the end pin, which kept pulling out at the end of the strap. But now, very stable, lovely to play and the perfect fat neck.