The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
    Hi all! Just curious if anyone has gone down this road …

I like the dark and smooth tone of a Pro Plec 651, but prefer a more defined point (e.g., a traditional jazz iii). I have tried a number of picks, like the fender 551, pickboy jazz, Tortex jazz iii. The Tortex is the closest I have come to that Pro Plec sound in a jazz iii body.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

With a sharper point you'll get a brighter tone, which may or may not flatter your playing. It doesn't flatter mine. Have you tried the Jazz III Ultex pick? It's not as bright as the red Jazz III and not quite as dark as the Pro Plec.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    With a sharper point you'll get a brighter tone, which may or may not flatter your playing. It doesn't flatter mine. Have you tried the Jazz III Ultex pick? It's not as bright as the red Jazz III and not quite as dark as the Pro Plec.
    I have tried the ultex, but still a bit too bright for my liking. The Tortex is probably my current pick as the right mix of pro Plec with a jazz iii shape.

User Info Menu

I only use 358s (Pro Plecs, my favourites) but I've used Jazz IIIs in the past and happen to have, still, a Taylor Jazz III size/shape 1.5mm (Standard Pro Plec gauge!) pick which looks and sounds exactly like a Pro Plec D'Andrea... to the point that I wonder if Pro Plec actually made it for Taylor.

Picks - Jazz III Pro Plec?-img_0695-jpg

User Info Menu

I too find Ultex too bright. Have you tried the Dunlop Jazztones? They do a variety of sizes and I think the 205 is the same size as a Jazz III. The 205 has a medium sharp tip, so you get some definition, but the Jazztones are inherently warm. More recently I switched to the D'Addario Acrylux which has a bit more definition while still being warm and very smooth over the strings. the Acrylux comes in two shapes - the standard which is a bit bigger, or the Jazz which I think is the same as a Jazz III.

I am not sure that the jazztones are being made by Dunlop anymore.

Based on their description, I am going to try the Flex variant of the Tortex jazz iii.

I’ll report back.

User Info Menu

I always come back to the red Dunlop Jazz III. I round the tip a bit with a sharpening stone, then polish it by rubbing it against a piece of paper. It only takes a few minutes and it also removes the annoying ridges along the edges of the pick.

There are of course Jazz II and Jazz I with rounded tips but they are thinner than Jazz III. I prefer the thickness of Jazz III.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Campbell_jazz
    I am not sure that the jazztones are being made by Dunlop anymore.
    I think you’re right about this. I just got a 24 bag of 204s, but Dunlop appears to be out of stock on all Jazztones. I found the 24 bag on Amazon, but the page said that they only had 4 left when I ordered mine. And a search of the Dunlop site for Jazztones turns up none. All sizes of the 477 series appear, but none can be selected. So it may be the end of the line once vendor stocks are gone.