The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 201

User Info Menu

I just love blondes but I have to say with highly figured wood as you have, burst really makes it pop. Big fan of red. This of course is about you. You can't make a wrong decision in this!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’m glad I’m not deciding! Cherry Sunburst is what they put on the original Citation brochure. I still have that brochure and I still melt a bit when I see it.

User Info Menu

Amber, not amberburst, just golden amber.
    Failing that I really like that kind of '59 Gibson sunburst floatingpickup has on his.

User Info Menu

Happy to make your dicision harder Vinnie!

Mine when it was at your stage:

Vinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-i-x3kcd5s-m-jpg

And finished:

Vinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-i-ckjzfvh-m-jpg

Having said that, I love Mark's sunbursts and I know you do too. Sunburst really makes quilting pop. I would probably go with SB if I were to order another. Good luck, there is no wrong choice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Amber, not amberburst, just golden amber.
    Failing that I really like that kind of '59 Gibson sunburst floatingpickup has on his.
    Thanks Wintermoon. Its interesting to hear that because I have always wondered if I should have gone with a natural finish on mine.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    Happy to make your dicision harder Vinnie!

Mine when it was at your stage:

Vinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-i-x3kcd5s-m-jpg

And finished:

Vinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-i-ckjzfvh-m-jpg

Having said that, I love Mark's sunbursts and I know you do too. Sunburst really makes quilting pop. I would probably go with SB if I were to order another. Good luck, there is no wrong choice!
    WOW - beautiful flame on that one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Thanks Wintermoon. Its interesting to hear that because I have always wondered if I should have gone with a natural finish on mine.
    Keith
    Keith
    If you get a minute kindly repost that pic

User Info Menu

Keith
    If you get a minute kindly repost that pic
    This is the guitar you are referring to. Mark called this finish “vintage sunburst”
    Keith
    Vinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-uuid-7ac367d5-d1f9-4bbe-8496-36bf13e9dc6a-library-1-type-1-mode-1-loc-true-cap-true-jpeg

Vinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-uuid-507f0a64-d503-4e16-8f2b-15c3d16cf13d-library-1-type-1-mode-1-loc-true-cap-true-jpeg

User Info Menu

That 3 tone "vintage Sunburst" would be my vote for a "Burst". But Blonde would probably win out. But just by a hair......

User Info Menu

Another vote for blonde. It's been said that "blondes have more fun".

User Info Menu

Keith
    As I mentioned, if it has to be sunburst I like this but I've never heard anyone wonder if they should've gone s.b. once they got blonde on a custom guitar.
    but not white/natural blonde, tinted to golden amber. natural may become more amber over time but maybe not in your lifetime so why wait?

User Info Menu

As I mentioned, if it has to be sunburst I like this but I've never heard anyone wonder if they should've gone s.b. once they got blonde on a custom guitar.
    but not white/natural blonde, tinted to golden amber. natural may become more amber over time but maybe not in your lifetime so why wait?
    My next one will be natural. I had a natural Deluxe before my Special and I wish I had never let it go.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    WOW - beautiful flame on that one.
    Yes, that was an upgrade, I don't think Mark wanted to part with it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    AND the bottom of the neck heel has to meet the front side of the crown perfectly.

I like your jig work Mark. I was seeing something more complex, along the lines of rhett's EG. I didn't think on it too much, but I imagined the router on a jig dangerously teetering above the guitar body, with some un-godly long dovetail bit hanging out 3" or something. Now you see why I felt queasy :-)

Awesomely simple: just cut a hole in the jig for the crown and it's pretty much the same joint! Love it.
    Right, the Cameo is a little more complicated because of the heel/crown joint.

Regarding the jig for routing the body dovetail on the Cameo, it works pretty much the same as the standard jig, though I do have to extend the router bit some. The template table is made from 3/4" MDF - early Cameo crowns were 3/4" tall, and with the body mounted in the jig, the crown came up flush with the top of the template table. The 3/4" crown was rather squarish, with pretty sharp bends on the corners - I use a heat gun to soften the plastic for bending - the outermost white binding is .090" thick, requiring quite a bit of heat to soften it sufficiently - too much heat will ruin the plastic, so it's a pretty tricky job. I decided to try going with a more rounded crown, figuring it would make the job of heat bending a little less precarious, which it does. However, the rounded crown is about 7/8" tall, and it protruded above the template table - this problem was solved by simply attaching a couple of riser strips to the table so the router base could clear the crown.

User Info Menu

This is the guitar you are referring to. Mark called this finish “vintage sunburst”
    Keith
    Vinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-uuid-7ac367d5-d1f9-4bbe-8496-36bf13e9dc6a-library-1-type-1-mode-1-loc-true-cap-true-jpeg

Vinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-uuid-507f0a64-d503-4e16-8f2b-15c3d16cf13d-library-1-type-1-mode-1-loc-true-cap-true-jpeg
    Could just be the lighting, Keith, but that actually looks more like the dark cherry SB, being quite red in the transition area - my "vintage" SB is a brown/black mix and is more brown in the transitional area - either way, beautiful pic : )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone
    Could just be the lighting, Keith, but that actually looks more like the dark cherry SB, being quite red in the transition area - my "vintage" SB is a brown/black mix and is more brown in the transitional area - either way, beautiful pic : )
    Mark: I think it must be the lighting in those pictures. I find it hard to take a picture that shows the true colour of a sunburst guitar. Below, is a picture of it beside my 1969 Johnny Smith. This picture was taken in soft, natural light and I don’t see the reddish transition in it here. I believe you called it vintage sunburst when I ordered it.
    Keith
    Vinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-uuid-4543a84c-bbc8-418c-a642-bfe16705fa01-library-1-type-1-mode-1-loc-true-cap-true-jpeg

User Info Menu

I like Mark’s style of burst where the color is basically just in the recurve, but amber just screams “look at me, I’m gorgeous!” Vintage bursts look like elegant ladies, blonde looks like the girl in the cocktail dress no one can stop staring at. I vote for an amber blonde that makes that figure pop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

After looking at the posted pics again of the guitar waiting for the final finish I'm doubling down on my amber blonde vote.
    That thing is so outrageously figured I would want as much of the wood as possible to show and I believe just a touch of amber tint would make it even more striking than clear nitro.
    Again, personal preference but I just think it would eliminate any possible doubt about Vinny's decision afterwards.
    But then it's not my decision is it?

User Info Menu

yes amber or blonde ...... no doubt on that from my side!
    Vinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-img_3850-jpg

User Info Menu

Mark: I think it must be the lighting in those pictures. I find it hard to take a picture that shows the true colour of a sunburst guitar. Below, is a picture of it beside my 1969 Johnny Smith. This picture was taken in soft, natural light and I don’t see the reddish transition in it here. I believe you called it vintage sunburst when I ordered it.
    Keith
    Vinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-uuid-4543a84c-bbc8-418c-a642-bfe16705fa01-library-1-type-1-mode-1-loc-true-cap-true-jpeg
    Ha - you're right, Keith - your Special looks completely different in this pic - much more like vintage SB - guess it was just the lighting that threw me : )

User Info Menu

Vinny,

The wood on your guitar is really beautiful. It's nice to see it naked!

Steve

User Info Menu

That’s it I’ve got the paint stripper ready for my Blueburst Cameo.

Kidding of course 1) that guitar was meant to be Blueburst and I couldn’t now imagine it as anything else, and 2) as the French say - Vive la Difference!

They are all beautiful!

Vintage cherry sunburst it is…..

Vinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-img_1858-jpegVinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-img_1859-jpegVinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-img_1857-jpeg

User Info Menu

Perfect!

User Info Menu

When Mark performs his “favourite” task (scraping) it will look classic.