The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 201
    Neck complete

Vinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-img_1848-jpegVinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-img_1849-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Bro,
    Do you remember when we first saw the back of the headstock on the Unity? This is one of those moments.
    I think this guitar is going to make downsizing very simple. You won’t want to have anything else.
    Once again, Mark pieces things together from tiny individual pieces of various material and makes it seem like all those pieces were formed together, naturally. From Mesopotamia to Byzantine to Campellone. These guitars are works of art. Functional. But art.
    That is flat out perfection.
    JD

User Info Menu

Are there certain dimensions that you request or does his neck suit you as is?

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Neck complete

Vinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-img_1848-jpegVinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-img_1849-jpeg

His standard neck profile is a comfy medium C/D profile that works fine for me. Very close to a modern Gibson archtop profile.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Are there certain dimensions that you request or does his neck suit you as is?
    As Vinnie says, he does have an excellent standard profile, but he will taylor it to your request. Mine is slightly thicker than standard.

User Info Menu

When I retire in a few more years I hope to try my hand at building guitars, just to see what happens. But looking at that perfect neck, I'm beginning to wonder if I can really do that. It's just so perfect.

Neck fitment

Vinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-img_0468-jpegVinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-img_0467-jpeg

User Info Menu

I just marvel at how cleanly Mr. Campellone works. The unfinished guitar still looks amazing.

User Info Menu

Neck fitment

Vinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-img_0468-jpegVinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-img_0467-jpeg
    Wow. This is getting good.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

I think Mark sprinkled magic dust on my '22 Special. It is one of those guitars that out performs on every indices, and makes me think that he's done some magic.
    Vinny's looks like it's getting the treatment too!

User Info Menu

I don’t know what he sprinkled on my Cameo. Kryptonite? The more I play it the more it amazes me. It’s like a cross between an L5 and a vintage Martin steel string. That doesn’t begin to give it justice.

I can’t believe it will have its first birthday soon. I can’t forget it because strangely it arrived just in time for mine.

User Info Menu

I always wonder how close the dovetail joint gets fitted. Depending on the technique and style they can be pretty much fit and glue. Then some require a shim. I see the small piece if maple that might be a shim? Resetting a neck always requires some shim to get it really tight. Done correctly you don't even need glue, but I would not, not use it for sure.

I highly doubt that Mark needs to shim his neck pockets. His tolerances are spot on, and he has everything down to an exact science. He makes special jigs for his demanding precision. It doesn't matter if it's a Standard or Cameo. The quality will be the same high standard.

User Info Menu

I highly doubt that Mark needs to shim his neck pockets. His tolerances are spot on, and he has everything down to an exact science. He makes special jigs for his demanding precision. It doesn't matter if it's a Standard or Cameo. The quality will be the same high standard.
    True craftsman work for themselves as much as the customer same as John D'angelico with his models. A New Yorker got the player more pearl and gingerbread, but a lowly Style A was carved with the same mindset and sound was to the fullest, workmanship the exact same.

User Info Menu

Takes somebody with a lot of experience to try that particular pocket joint on something with that much work in it. The 'hump' (I think that's what we're calling it?) adds a whole new level of danger. Sooo many ways for that to go wrong the first time!

Makes me a bit queasy to think of it, and I've made some pretty dandy joints myself in 35 year of pro woodworking. This has confidence and control written all over it!

(I have an idea of what the jig might look like, but I'd love to see what Mark came up with... )

User Info Menu

Bro, it looks like the inside of a jewelry box in there. You deserve it bro.
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Bro, it looks like the inside of a jewelry box in there. You deserve it bro.
    JD
    Thanks Bro.

User Info Menu

Is it my imagination or is there a bit of a "bromance" going on here?

I kid Vinny and JD of course.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Is it my imagination or is there a bit of a "bromance" going on here?
    I kid Vinny and JD of course.....
    There will always be. Thats my boy.

Birthday suit

Vinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-img_1851-jpegVinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-img_1852-jpegVinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-img_1853-jpegVinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-img_1854-jpegVinny’s Campellone Cameo begins-img_1850-jpeg

User Info Menu

Glorious. That’s a precious consignment too.

User Info Menu

Well Vinny, as a blind Rabbi once said, it won't be long now.

User Info Menu

Vinny, you're not getting excited are you? Hahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Vinny, you're not getting excited are you? Hahahaha!
    Actually I have 2 guitars coming from Mark. 1 is a big surprise .
    Then Vinny is retired from buying…….I hope

User Info Menu

Actually I have 2 guitars coming from Mark. 1 is a big surprise .
    Then Vinny is retired from buying…….I hope
    Why does the "Chicken Little" story come to mind?

I just sold 3 amps and then went and spent all the money (and then some) on another guitar (I am up to 20) and an amp (I am now down to 4, at least I am making progress in that regard). I am supposed to be retired from buying myself, but alas, it never seems to end.

Vinny, we are all awaiting your "big surprise" with great anticipation. All while we vicariously enjoy the Cameo build.