The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think there are a few people here, but not many..anyone change out the single 12AX7 ? i never have and was curious to see if anyone eles did and it changed the tone..i think its fine with whats in it BUT, im curious to see and hear what else out there tube wise? warmer? etc?? i dont know. That is the only amp i own with a single tube in it, ditched all my tube amps and have been using all Fractal audio gear for my other gigs since 2009 and Henriksen amps for jazz. so im really out of the tube loop lol.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A couple of day's ago, I changed out the 12AX7 for a 12AT7. As I didn't have two identical amps back to back it was hard for me to discern any significant difference. I thought the 12AT7 might have had a touch more bass but nothing that could be dialed out or in with the 5 band EQ. I'll leave it in only for the fact that the original tube is few years old now and the 12AT7 is an older Sovtek tube that has never been used.

This very versatile amp that is just a joy to play. I own the head that I pair with a 1X12" ported cab with a tweeter. It is unfortunate that Henriksen discontinued this amp but I hear rumors that Henriksen may be bringing it back or something similar.

User Info Menu

Putting in a 12AT7 for a 12AX7 results in a loss in gain, increase in headroom, higher fidelity, and an increased current output. The result is very slight - a little thicker and darker without sounding like it's been EQed. It actually sounds like the tone just has more depth.

User Info Menu

I have a Forte. I’ve never considered changing out the 12AX7. Maybe I’ll give it a try one of these days.

I’ve wondered why Henriksen discontinued it, as I love the versatility of the amp. But, the bottom line is sales and profitability.

Recently I picked up a Toob Metro 6.5 GB that I power with an old Clarus SLR. I’ve run this in combination with the Forte. Fantastic pairing.

AKA

sorry, i forgot about this thread, didn't think i got any responses..anyway thanks for the replies i havent changed it out yet but i might soon just to see, the AT7 sounds like it might be good. But ya this amp is great. Did you buy yours during the covid days when he did like 40 or 50% off. ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4
    sorry, i forgot about this thread, didn't think i got any responses..anyway thanks for the replies i havent changed it out yet but i might soon just to see, the AT7 sounds like it might be good. But ya this amp is great. Did you buy yours during the covid days when he did like 40 or 50% off. ?
    I purchased mine not too long after they were introduced. Think I paid $1,600.

AKA

User Info Menu

I was going to use a 12AY7 as that is what I have in the preamp stage on my SF Fender Pro Reverb but while changing it out I accidentally dropped the 12AY7 on the tile floor. Well that was the end of that tube. It didn't shatter but it was extremely micro-phonic so out it went. I didn't have another 12AY7 so I went with the 12AT7. Not much of a noticeable difference to my ears but I'm playing clean at relatively lowish volume. YMMV.

I expect because of it price and the business situation around the beginning of the Covid period it just wasn't worth it for Henriksen to continue to market. too bad as it is a great amp. I bought this during a 20% off sale and have no regrets.