The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Thought I'd share a couple of pics and what I thought was an interesting find "under the hood".

I had purchased this somewhat rare VB about a year and a half ago. I have not seen that many of his 17" out there, but
    I'm no authority on his guitars so there could be many more out there.
    I remember sending Victor some pics and asking if he remembered anything about the guitar/ pickup. He said he couldn't recall
    the pickup in there, but he does remember the guitar and that he was happy with it and said it was from 2008, I believe.
    Anyway, I put new strings on it for the 1st time the other day and finally decided to see what pickup was in it.
    As you can see from the subject line and pic that its a Harmonic Design pickup, which I'd never heard of.

Does anyone know much about these?
    Any other VB owners out there?Victor Baker 17" & Harmonic Design p/u..........-victor-baker-front-jpgVictor Baker 17" & Harmonic Design p/u..........-victor-baker-back-jpgVictor Baker 17" & Harmonic Design p/u..........-victor-baker-pickup-jpgVictor Baker 17" & Harmonic Design p/u..........-victor-baker-rim-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just do the google dance. Excellent reviews.

Harmonic Design Custom Pickups

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Just do the google dance. Excellent reviews.

Harmonic Design Custom Pickups
    Hey Woody,
    I did look them up and visited their page, etc. Was just curious if any of you lads had any experience.

User Info Menu

Harmonic Design make great pickups. Here’s their Z90 in a PM2, which was to my ears a big improvement over the otherwise good stock pickup. The Z90 is a single coil in a humbucker casing. I’m going through a Yamaha THR10.

User Info Menu

I used a few of his Tele pickups a while back, and they were excellent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Harmonic Design make great pickups. Here’s their Z90 in a PM2, which was to my ears a big improvement over the otherwise good stock pickup. The Z90 is a single coil in a humbucker casing. I’m going through a Yamaha THR10.

Awfully nice in every way....

User Info Menu

I have a 2017 VB 15, it has a USA Kent Armstrong in it. he had a deal fall through and it was on his website and i grabbed it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop

Really enjoyed this!

User Info Menu

Thanks, ziggy. I should have stuck with that guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zigracer
    Really enjoyed this!
    Me too. I'm going to dig out those Levitt solos tonight. Thank you for recording that one.

User Info Menu

Rob really melts your heart away with Ballads. Love it! I wish you’d have kept the AR503 with the Creamery pickup. Sweetest P90 tone that I’ve heard!

User Info Menu

I know, I know... Loved the sound but actually hated the neck. Not that it was bad, just not for me.

User Info Menu

...wish I'd bought this Victor Baker instead!

User Info Menu

I have a 17" VB that came with a Mojotone Goldfoil in it. I contacted Victor and he remembered the guitar, but knew nothing about Goldfoils. I found a Kent Armstrong pup in the case, though. I put that back on the VB and am building a tele with Goldfoils. Unfortunately, the previous owner modified Victor's custom ebony pickup ring to accommodate the Goldfoil. So I've got the KA mounted in a standard plastic ring until I can make a new ebony ring.

I also have some Harmonic Design Z90's and P90's. The P90's are in a Hamer Monaco 380. Big improvement over the stock Duncans. I just installed the Z90's into a Heritage H-150. I've had them for years but never put them in a guitar until now. They're pretty hot and fat but sound good clean.

User Info Menu

Rob, that must have been made a year or so ago. You look very young in it.

User Info Menu

Actually 10 years ago…time flies.

User Info Menu

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

User Info Menu

That's a beautiful burst. He made a lot more 17"s and with fancier ornamentation than now. I had the opportunity to score a gorgeous 17" burst with deluxe binding and inlays. I took a chance and waited too late on ebay till the last day, and then it was gone.