The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 62 of 62

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Prof Silverhair
    Through all this, I've figured out how to make my 335 sound pretty indistinguishable from the full hollow Epi. If nothing else this has just re-affirmed my love affair with the 335. It's not perfect, super clean, or particularly collectible but it's my main squeeze and keeps doing what I ask it to do.
    I'm glad to hear that you've got it worked out. When you bought that 335 you got a guitar that's just about as good as it gets. It's very versatile. From acid hard rock to country to blues to pop to the smoothest jazz, it can do it all. I've heard it many times that a 335 is all the guitar you'll ever need.

Cheers and all the best with your musical journey,
    Avery Roberts

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I tried about a dozen when I found my 335 on Craigslist. Drove over an hour hoping it would be 'the one'. It was one of those times I knew it was the right guitar without even plugging it in. Got it home and it sounded better than it felt. Opened it up to find upgraded wiring and hand wound Fralin PAF's. It was just meant to be.

All that, I'll still keep chasing that full, woody, warm thunk of a 'jazz guitar'. The adventure continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Avery Roberts
    I'm glad to hear that you've got it worked out. When you bought that 335 you got a guitar that's just about as good as it gets. It's very versatile. From acid hard rock to country to blues to pop to the smoothest jazz, it can do it all. I've heard it many times that a 335 is all the guitar you'll ever need.

Cheers and all the best with your musical journey,
    Avery Roberts

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Avery Roberts
    You are very welcome.

After research and discussions with forum members, here are my suggestions for your consideration:

1. Fender Coronado 1 or Coronado 2. The older Coronados are full hollow body, (newer ones have a centre block) look somewhat like a 335 and have either 1 or 2 DeArmond or Fender Fidelitron pickups. They have bolt-on necks and 25 1/2" scale lengths so a 2" neck from "Big Lou" would be a drop-in, bolt-on, inexpensive solution.

Big Lou Wide Necks - Big Lou Wide Nut Electric Guit

2. Consult a local luthier/teacher as to what to do.

3. Custom made instrument from a local luthier with a 650 - 660 mm scale length and 2" neck. The 660 mm scale is used by some classical guitars.

4. Keep plying the local musical instrument stores, pawn shops, salvation army stores, local online second-hand lists etc. on a regular basis, or put out "wanted" ads with the stores and second-hand lists, until you find something that fits you and "speaks" to you.

5. Stay with the 335 in the meantime or forever.

Cheers and all the best with your search,
    Avery Roberts

Postscript 1: Any neck replacement, even a bolt-on, should be done by a luthier to ensure proper alignment and fit.
    Postscript 2: 2" neck means 2" wide at the nut
    Postscript 3: Here's a picture of a Coronado II
    My first good guitar was a Coronado II that my dad bought me in 1969 along with a Fender Bassman with 2x15 cab.

Random update...

I spent my Black Friday in a great music store playing almost all their hollow bodies. It was my first opportunity to sit down with Eastman's; I played an 805, 503, Pisano, and 372.

A few short takeaways...
    - I thought the 805 or 503 was what I was chasing. Nope. Neither did it for me for different reasons
    - Folks here were right; the 372 doesn't sound like an ES175 despite looking like a clone.
    - The Pisano was a pleasant surprise. All laminate, great balanced sound, warm and articulate.
    - Played a new Epi Broadway. Despite the lack of attention to detail. It felt and sounded great.

Finally...
    Based on everything I played nothing sounded as good as the Epi 175 Premium. Really leaning towards keeping it and forcing myself to like the slim neck - might must be a silly reason to give up on a great guitar.

User Info Menu

Do you remember which Pisano model you played? I think there are 3 or 4 now. The newer one that Frank Vignola has been playing (AR480) is a beauty and has been tempting me. There are none around me to try out.

It was this model:

AR480CE - Eastman Guitars

Of all the guitars I played, it was my choice as the standout in the group. I was swapping guitars with a professional player/teacher and he agreed. The 480 just had a thing. Great feel, no frills, fantastic well balanced tone, top quality build, familiar size. I went there specifically to play the 805 and 503 and expected to fall in love and leave with one of them. Instead, the 480 surprised me and ended up leaving with picks and strap locks, lol.

If you can't find one near year, maybe find a place that will take returns? It's good enough, imo, to take the chance....and I'm not one to buy guitars online, un-played.

Happy hunting and be sure to update on your search!

Quote Originally Posted by LifeOnJazz
    Do you remember which Pisano model you played? I think there are 3 or 4 now. The newer one that Frank Vignola has been playing (AR480) is a beauty and has been tempting me. There are none around me to try out.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info... and pleased to hear. I've heard similar accounts from others on the AR480. I guess you don't always know how an instrument is going play and sound until you get it in your hands. Eastman must have done something right with this one.

There is a major music retailer with a good return policy near me that sells this model, so I do have that option.

User Info Menu

Waiting for my second Epiphone IBG 335. They have the true '59 medium neck.
    Should be here on Tuesday.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Prof Silverhair
    It was this model:

AR480CE - Eastman Guitars

Of all the guitars I played, it was my choice as the standout in the group. I was swapping guitars with a professional player/teacher and he agreed. The 480 just had a thing. Great feel, no frills, fantastic well balanced tone, top quality build, familiar size. I went there specifically to play the 805 and 503 and expected to fall in love and leave with one of them. Instead, the 480 surprised me and ended up leaving with picks and strap locks, lol.

If you can't find one near year, maybe find a place that will take returns? It's good enough, imo, to take the chance....and I'm not one to buy guitars online, un-played.

Happy hunting and be sure to update on your search!
    The 480 looks and sounds very close to a es 165 only for a lot less money. You made a good choice.Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Try it on your guitar with some paper (or veneer if you've got it) and show us how it works out.
    Please see my edit in post #51

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'm always a little worried about neck measurements since they seem to vary. I tend only to be able to talk about the ones I have that I've been able to measure. I have a Zephyr Regent re-issue (looks like the ES165) and I'm wondering if it's a mahogany back/neck instrument. It sounds wonderful for a budget instrument. These guitars were definitely not made on cookie-cutters!
    This is a late reply, but our Peerless-made Epi ZRs do have mahogany laminate back and sides, and the neck is also mahogany.

The Epi website contained some errors in the specs for this guitar, which they acknowledged during an email exchange, but they didn't get around to correcting the web page. The most notable error was that the neck was maple with a 25.5" scale. Of course it is actually mahogany with a 24.75 " scale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by va3ux
    This is a late reply, but our Peerless-made Epi ZRs do have mahogany laminate back and sides, and the neck is also mahogany.

The Epi website contained some errors in the specs for this guitar, which they acknowledged during an email exchange, but they didn't get around to correcting the web page. The most notable error was that the neck was maple with a 25.5" scale. Of course it is actually mahogany with a 24.75 " scale.
    Thanks. This EZR checks so many boxes, and now "mahogany" is yet one more.