The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 45 of 45

User Info Menu

Know? We taught him that! When he was a little kid his parents brought him to out house to try us out as a teacher, and that was the first thing we taught him. All three of them immediately declared us the perfect teacher. The rest is history.
    Less Paul, More Rob!

What is it you need an LP for to teach that you can't teach with any other e-guitar with comparable electrics?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My future son-in-law (just got engaged last week) came by today, and showed me his new-to-him Epi Les Paul Florentine. It has coil splitting. We played around with it for 20” or so, and it seemed extremely well-made and quite striking visually. I could not find any obvious flaws, and with the coil-splitting it was easy to dial in a nice tone.

Recommend Les Paul under £/0-img_6331-jpg

I am not sure when this guitar was last offered, as it doesn’t seem to be available anymore, but when he got it it was new in the box. He was given it as payment for some lawn work he did for a neighbor. (These seem to go for $650 or so on the used market, so he got quite a nice payout for what he did.)

He also traded a cheap Strat copy guitar for a Gator ATA case—VERY nice. I am jealous, but liking this kid quite a bit. I think my daughter picked a good one. ;-)

User Info Menu

79 Les Paul and zero fashion sense.

Recommend Les Paul under £/0-scan-3-mike-jpeg

User Info Menu

Looks great, Jeff. And so does the guitar! I seem to remember a similar guitar with a floater in the neck position, or was that a dream?

Alan: Just no.

User Info Menu

Well, the Epiphone "Inspired by Gibson" Les Paul Custom arrived an hour ago. It's a Beauty Queen, for sure. Faultless edging and finish. The pups are fading...which I quite like...reminding me that this is a Used guitar, but is otherwise looking brand new. A great guitar for £499.

I only have a THR10 amp, but it has a lot of settings and I managed to get some interesting sounds. I'm 90% an acoustic player, so I felt uneasy twisting nobs and dials, suddenly blowing the roof off when moving from one setting to another. LOL.

I didn't buy it for jazz, just general stuff. Part of me wishes I'd got a Tele instead, which I always view as more of an acoustic instrument, just something about the feel when playing it. But I thought I'd try something different this time. I did try some jazz settings, but wasn't inspired, but I have other guitars for that.

I'll play it for a while, then maybe sell it at or just below what I paid for it. Or keep it, once I've been in touch with my inner Jimmy Page!

User Info Menu

Don't hurt your back lifting that thing.

User Info Menu

It does weigh something, for sure.

User Info Menu

I always feel that I should own both a Tele and a LP.

User Info Menu

There’s a solution for every problem!

User Info Menu

If you are looking for inspiration...

$435.00 Les Paul Fretless 12-String!
    Solid Mahogany arch top body
    One piece Mahogany set neck

Recommend Les Paul under £/0-al310012blackfretless7-jpg

Agile AL-3100 Black Fretless 12 String

User Info Menu

Well, the price is good…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    If you are looking for inspiration...

$435.00 Les Paul Fretless 12-String!
    Haha, I thought the purpose was to be used for teaching ... not sure if this will inspire pupils or scare them away!

User Info Menu

Hello
    A lightly used LP studio might be in that ball park price? Add a neck pickup of your choice, maybe a tonepros nylon saddle bridge, and TI flats. Very warm and smooth to my ear.

Mahogany with the heavier flats retains a nice, silent to others sweet resonance unplugged for when one is repetitively flubbing through something new and doesn't want to incure a divorce or banishment to the basement.

User Info Menu

Well, the more I play it, the more I like it. It just takes a little adjustment mentally and physically, and a padded strap really helps!

User Info Menu

I was going to say, “careful with the Les Paul guitars. Some are real boat anchors.”

I couldn’t ever bond with them. I guess I’m a big baby, but anything over six or seven pounds saps the joy out of playing. I don’t think Jimmy’s strap started so low. The damn thing musta stretched out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by rlrhett; 11-14-2023 at 03:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Haha. You might be right about Jimmy’s strap.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Haha. You might be right about Jimmy’s strap.
    He is!

Recommend Les Paul under £/0-img_0637-jpeg

User Info Menu

Closer to our age.

User Info Menu

I have to add that is no way near as heavy as my tenor banjo…I need a crane to lift that. And it has almost no sustain.

User Info Menu

The YouTube reviews are saying that the IBG (TV yellow) Les Paul special with P90s is indistinguishable from the USA LP Special