The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I am looking at an early 1950s ES 175. It looks to been very clean and well cared for over the years. However, one issue perplexes me and I'd like to get some group wisdom. A previous owner cut slots in the wooden bridge, presumably to lower the action.The current owner thinks this was done to avoid a neck reset. The action is very low, with the wheels all the way down. He claims the neck is straight, with no fretting, buzzing, etc. It plays well up and down the neck.

My question is should I be concerned? I can't examine the guitar before I buy it but there is a reasonable return policy. I guess my question is why would someone cut slots in a bridge - other than to lower the action? My sense is that there may be a problem with the neck, but I just don't know. I'd rather not get into a situation where I have to return the guitar. He has provide lots of photos, including the slotted bridge - so I have a pretty good sense of its condition - at least cosmetically.

What's the group wisdom on this? Thanks for your help.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

60 -70 year old guitar, unable to examine in person? Expect issues.

User Info Menu

Well, this at least suggests that the top is not sinking because the thumbwheels would be all the way up in that case. It might just have been set up for someone who likes *really* low action, but the possibility that the neck joint has pulled up is there. Photos of the heel would be helpful, to look for gaps, cracked finish, etc.

It's an old guitar, some maintenance is to be expected. A neck reset being needed would not be a huge surprise and much easier than dealing with a sunken top. Or- is it the original bridge? If the bridge (or the bridge top) was replaced at some point with one that was taller, this could have been the cheap solution.

User Info Menu

nobody would make such a modification unless they had no other choice, so expect the neck joint has failed over time. A neck reset and cutting a new bridge are likely needed, but do not overlook a full internal inspection of the braces since tops sink when the parallel braces crack.
    Personally, i'd walk away and let it be someone else's problem.
    good luck.

User Info Menu

We need a picture for sure otherwise it is guess work. Even with a picture it might be a guess without in person playing.

One plus is it is 70 years old and plays well now. Probably not going down the drain anytime soon. Like buy an older house. Generally if someone living in them now they are livable. Very few 175s need a neck reset that is rare. Usually the top moves down a bit but that might not be much or get worse.

User Info Menu

Old guitars have every kind of possibilities, in good and bad.

I have filed my ebony brigdes a bit to get the intonation right. Or less wrong, with a wooden bridge it is always a bit of a compromise. But of course there is other possibilities too.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FredH
    The action is very low, with the wheels all the way down. He claims the neck is straight, with no fretting, buzzing, etc. It plays well up and down the neck.
    If you haven't played the guitar then you are taking the seller's word for it. Even if the seller is being scrupulously honest, one man's "low action" and "plays well" is not necessarily what someone else would get on with. It is very difficult to gauge action from photos (and obviously you can't judge playability that way). I would at least ask him to measure the action accurately at the 12th fret, both low and high E.

User Info Menu

I have collected many 1950's ES-175's through the years and the only things that usually show up are worn frets, fingernail grooves in the fretboard, old tuners, and sometimes that pesky little hump near the end of the fretboard, (usually not a huge issue with a good set up).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Easy2grasp
    I have collected many 1950's ES-175's through the years and the only things that usually show up are worn frets, fingernail grooves in the fretboard, old tuners, and sometimes that pesky little hump near the end of the fretboard, (usually not a huge issue with a good set up).
    I'm curious how many of your 175s had kerfed braces?
    All the ones I've seen fail have been kerfed, but I don't have a good sense of what years they did that. You might know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF
    I'm curious how many of your 175s had kerfed braces?
    All the ones I've seen fail have been kerfed, but I don't have a good sense of what years they did that. You might know.
    I’m open to correction, but I think the ES-175 has always had kerfed braces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I’m open to correction, but I think the ES-175 has always had kerfed braces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm pretty sure you are right TRMan. All the ones that I have seen inside are the same. Here's a pic of Billy Bean's 1964 ES-175 when it was being pieced back together in 2006 after he sat on it.
    Gibson ES-175 Bridge Question-96bddaca-f9cb-45db-a1c0-60fdaa8a0b0f-jpeg