The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Currently have a Quilter 101R with Blockdock 10. I find the amp a bit bright with some boomy lows. Trying to tame that with a speaker swap as I've modified my Tele already quite a bit. I was thinking either the Eminence Cannabis Rex or Lil' Buddy. I'm a little clueless when it comes to amps and the Quilter is very reliable so I don't really want to get rid of it. Any suggestions?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lil Buddy worked very well for me.

User Info Menu

The 10” cannabis Rex is my least favorite 10” speaker I think I’ve ever tried. I actually bought one for this same purpose thinking it might counterbalance the brightness of a quilter amp. Unfortunately it was waaaaayy to much treble roll off. Its going to over correct for your problem as it is very, very dark.

In the same ball park there is the tone tubby 10” ceramic speaker. It takes the high end but sounds wonderful. I have one that I use with my quilter sbus.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Lil Buddy worked very well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    The 10” cannabis Rex is my least favorite 10” speaker I think I’ve ever tried. I actually bought one for this same purpose thinking it might counterbalance the brightness of a quilter amp. Unfortunately it was waaaaayy to much treble roll off. Its going to over correct for your problem as it is very, very dark.

In the same ball park there is the tone tubby 10” ceramic speaker. It takes the high end but sounds wonderful. I have one that I use with my quilter sbus.
    Would you say that maybe the Cannabis Rex would be OK for Jim Hall or Pat Martino type sounds? I do prefer a darker tone and would say a Joe Pass type tone to me is the ideal but I would like the ability to roll my tone off and play super dark like Pat Martino. Although I suppose his tone is an amalgamation of many things (like 15 gauge strings!)

User Info Menu

You'll get a million different answers - there are so many options out there for 10" speakers, and we all hear things in different ways.

I replaced the 2x10'' speakers (Celestion G10 Vintage) in my Quilter Aviator amp. They weren't horrible, but the treble could be a bit strident, and there was a mid range honk that I found difficult to tame. One of them started to develop a fair bit of voice coil rub so it was time to replace them.

I put in Jensen Tornado 10" speakers, they're a neodymium speaker, but they've substantially improved the sound the amp. There's still plenty of treble, it's just smoother, with less of that honk.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chris32895
    Would you say that maybe the Cannabis Rex would be OK for Jim Hall or Pat Martino type sounds? I do prefer a darker tone and would say a Joe Pass type tone to me is the ideal but I would like the ability to roll my tone off and play super dark like Pat Martino. Although I suppose his tone is an amalgamation of many things (like 15 gauge strings!)

Well in that case you might like it lol. I'm happy to sell you mine at discount. It has about 1 hour of use.

User Info Menu

I have a Fat Jimmy A1060 in one of my cabs - love it! [Made by WGS, BTW.]

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Well in that case you might like it lol. I'm happy to sell you mine at discount. It has about 1 hour of use.
    Hmm, pm'ed you

User Info Menu

I put a pair of Cannabis Rex speakers in my Vibrolux Reverb, and they improved the sound a lot. Good sound is completely subjective, though, and everyone has his own idea of ideal sound. I can't say the CR speakers are ideal, because I haven't tried that many speakers, but I do like them a lot.

User Info Menu

I have a Weber 10F150 in my Headstrong Santa Cruz and I would definitely describe it as being “warm”.

User Info Menu

Have you tried/experimented with the capacitor mod in the return jack? You can load a cap (the higher the value the greater the treble is affected) on a guitar jack and but it in the Return. I use a .047 uf cap and think it has improved the sound spectrum to my liking. This question about taming Quilters highs has been discussed here on the post below.

Quilter Amps

Btw I use an Eminince Cannibis Rex "12 and findit works well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    I have a Fat Jimmy A1060 in one of my cabs - love it! [Made by WGS, BTW.]
    I have his 12's in a couple of amps and they sound great, nice and balanced, but I wouldn't say that they are dark. Just a good, well balanced speaker. I can get my jazz sound by rolling down the treble a bit on guitar or amp.

But I think you need to start with an amp that gets you somewhat in the ball park. Speakers can help but if you start with a really bright amp, even a BF Fender DR, it can be tough.

And sometimes an EQ pedal is all you need for a small low mid boost.

User Info Menu

Sorry to answer in a wrong way, but I was there too. Then I sold 101R and bought a TB202. Now I’m happier than ever with 101. TB202 works fine with any speaker.

Good luck in the process!

Well, I bought the 10" Cannabis Rex speaker from omphalopsychos so I'll have to see how that works out. Worst case, if I don't like it I'll flip it but at least I will have learned something. Either way I'll update this thread with my findings.

All the speakers suggested I'll keep bookmarked in case this one don't work out so keep the suggestions coming!

User Info Menu

I second the capacitor trick. It's very simple and it works for the highs. It's always on.

I also don't mind the speaker in the BlockDock 10 with my ToneBlock 202. But I'm a 12" guy all the way.

I thought the 12" Cannabis helped my Mesa a bit, but it wasn't that much different from the stock one. Maybe the 10" is more effective.

Interested to hear about your experience.

User Info Menu

I can confirm the 10" Cannabis Rex is darker than the 12" one.

Chris the speaker's in the mail. Hope it suits you!

User Info Menu

I used to own a couple Ragin Cajuns Eminence 10”. They sounded quite good! But I haven’t used 10” speakers in quite a while.

User Info Menu

Put the 12” C.Rex in a Peavey Classic 30. Superb, but I can see how the 10” could drop too much treble.

Update on this as I received the speaker yesterday. Installed it in my Blockdock 10TC and played for a couple hours or so. Didn't make as much of a difference I thought it would in my opinion except my basses were boomier, that's all I noticed. I'm going through a transitional period in my gear right now so there's too many variables to really pinpoint anything.

I think at this time I'm going to stick with the stock speaker - while it is a bit bright it is at least predictable. Once my gear is all settled I'm going to try the cheaper options - E.Q. pedal, capacitor trick, maybe see how I like an open back cab.

If anyone wants the Cannabis Rex 10" it's for sale here. I wasn't necessarily unhappy with it and I didn't find it overwhelmingly dark, either. However, at this time I just need the predictability of my stock speaker.

User Info Menu

I really like the 10" Weber Cali Ceramic (with H dome instead of aluminum dome) - high power handling, tons of headroom, but heavy:
    Attached Images Attached Images 10" Speaker to tame bright high end?-weber-cali-10-0-jpg 

I am thinking of buying a Quilter Superblock U S for home use .
    I would appreciate your opinions on this amp and speaker combination. I am thinking of useing an emminace 8 inch "Lil Buddy" or "canabis Rex"

So a little update to this: I have not bought another speaker but I have done a couple other things that helped.

1) Adjusted pickup height to favor treble strings:
    This might seem antithetical to what I was wanting to achieve, but I was finding my treble strings very weak compared to my bass strings. This is not necessarily making my rig warmer, but it is making it more balanced and articulate while also taming (somewhat) the boomy lows of my bass strings.

2) Changed tone capacitor from .022uf to .047uf in my guitar:
    I am a habitual about having my tone knob rolled all the way off, especially if playing single line stuff. This warmed it up some but not as much as I was expecting. Still noticeable and more towards the sound I want. For some reason my guitar seems quieter now, too, but not a huge minus.

3) Changed pics from Dunlop 1mm to Jazz III JP:
    This was a bit of an aha moment for me. I ordered some 1.5mm and 2.0mm picks and not all would fit in my Altoids tin so I decided to do some cleaning up. I realized a long time ago I ordered something like 20 John Petrucci signature Jazz III picks and so tried all my thicker picks out. These picks immediately removed the clickyness I was used to from the Dunlop picks and added a warmth that was very much needed.

Next steps are to switch to flatwounds and maybe try another .047uf cap in my amp. There is a certain boomyness to my amp that I cannot dial out that I think I will have to get an EQ pedal for, but it's not terrible. I believe it's most likely the room I'm in. Also interested in trying an open-back cab.

I think after the flatwounds I will be 80% of the way there.

User Info Menu

IME the pick can change the sound at least as much as anything else. I keep a selection of picks at hand, because different guitars, different amps, different places can need different picks to get the sound I want. The Petrucci pick is very good, and probably my second choice after a Blue Chip. It's especially good on one of my guitars. Different guitars just sound different. Some are far brighter than others. Changing the pick makes a big difference, changing the strings makes a little, and changing the pickups may make a little. IME changing the pick makes the most difference. I also find that some days one pick sounds better than another, and the best pick can change day to day.

I've tried the capacitor in the effects loop, and while it does change the sound, I find that just turning the treble control on the amp down just a tiny bit does exactly the same thing, so I don't bother with it. I once owned a Quilter 101, both the original and the reverb models, and I never, not once, was able to get a sound I liked with either. I twisted the knobs all over the place, but I just couldn't find an acceptable tone. I sold both and moved on. The first Quilter I've tried which I find acceptable is the Superblock US. Lots of people seem to like Quilters, but I'm not a Fender fan, so I've been using other amps. I do like the Superblock, though, because of the portability and the fact that I can get a sound I like out of it, although putting the knobs at noon doesn't come close.

User Info Menu

Good to hear you're making progress Chris. Flats should help with the boom, especially after they've been on for some weeks. I recently converted after decades of being a round-head.

Hasn't been mentioned in this thread so I'll just add that TB202 in FRFR mode takes a big step away from the Fender camp. It's a little tip I got from dear ol' Jazzkritter. He talked to Mr. Quilter about which amp would be the most like his old Walter Woods, and that's what Pat told him. JK mentioned a few times how much he liked TB202, FRFR, and BlockDock12 after having fought with the 101 for a while.

A few who have experience with both have posted that the 202 is a different tone animal than the 101. Looks like that's also true for the SB's, which came along just after the 202. JK and I both went this route before the SB's came out.