The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’m considering purchasing a Guild Artist Award that has its neck reset. I’m not concerned with the aesthetics as much as tone & playability. Hers the question:”How Do I Know If It’s Been Reset Properly?”

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There is a ton of stuff on the internet that you can sort through to help in understanding neck resets.
    The plane of the fretboard relative to the strings and bridge height adjustment are critical. I'd want to know about these things. I've had competent luthiers fix vintage guitar necks that needed resetting, making otherwise unplayable instruments into excellent ones. This would not bother me, if done properly, but it's wise to check the guitar out to make sure it's in spec.

User Info Menu

Another main question, why was the neck reset required?

User Info Menu

If the action is low, with room left on the bridge for adjustment both ways, and if the neck has minimal relief and a working truss rod the repair was probably done right. But there could be details in how it was done that could be a problem that you wouldn't be able to see. So ideally you'd want to know details of how the reset was done -- such as, how long ago it was done and by whom, and the kind of glue that was used (this matters for future repairs).

For example, if it was done several years ago by a reputable luthier who is still in business, who can tell you that he used hide glue or Titebond, that would be very reassuring. OTOH, if the seller says his buddy did it with epoxy, yikes. Odds are though, there won't be that kind of info, so I think it's important for there to be a return policy with enough of a time window to get it checked carefully, especially with something this valuable.
    Last edited by John A.; 01-02-2024 at 03:41 PM.

User Info Menu

I myself have found Guilds to not require neck being reset, at least the Artist Awards of the past 40 years. I would wonder what happened that it needed to be reset. To me an archtop guitar should only rarely ever need a neck reset. Sure many are but I just wonder why. Has the top settle, was in not put on correct, did it take a hit or some other incident that would require a neck reset.

AA guitars are not rare and frankly I would spend a few bucks more and get one that had zero issues. That said though the guitar could actually be a winner and nothing wrong, but you go into the situation with strikes against.

User Info Menu

The only guitars I've heard consistently need a neck reset are vintage Gretsch. There was a problem with neck joint construction or type of glue or something back in the day? Guilds I never ever heard having that problem.