The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

This is new to me, I’ve love to see what your preferred EQ settings are and why? Are there some of these that are irrelevant for our purposes? Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images 7-Band EQ settings for Jazz Guitars (electric archtops)-img_3270-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If your amp is a blackface Fender, usually I just boost 4/5 dbs on 400hz.

User Info Menu

For me, it depends on the guitar and the amp. Different ones seem to demand different settings. I just tweak the sliders until I can't get a better sound. I mostly use my GE-7 as a boost pedal, with the frequency sliders flat, and the volume slider up to a level that works. Depending on the situation, I sometimes use it in reverse, off for solos, lower level for comping when on. I can't make one recommendation for everything, even for me.

User Info Menu

What is that thing?

User Info Menu

Using a BOSS GE-7:
    100 0
    200 -5
    400 +6
    800 +15
    1.6k 0
    3.2k +15
    6.4 k -15

Tone on Guitar: 10 (no rolloff)
    Pickup: Gibson IM-57P in the neck position (has built-in rumble filter inside the pickup)
    Guitar: Epiphone Archtop
    Strings: RotoSound 11's
    Pick: Gibson Medium
    Reverb: Ursa Major Space Station SST-282
    Amplifier: none (direct feed into mixing board driving a GainClone hi-fi amp which drives 2 PSB Alpha B1 monitors - no additional eq in the mixer, amp and monitors)
    Last edited by Avery Roberts; 11-24-2023 at 12:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Avery Roberts View Post
    100 0
    200 -5
    400 +6
    800 +15
    1.6k 0
    3.2k +15
    6.4 k -15

Using a BOSS GE-7
    Pickup: Gibson IM-57P in the neck position
    Amplifier: none (direct feed into mixing board)
    +15db on 800hz? That CANNOT sound good.

User Info Menu

In my experience, the less the better with graphics, which are not the best sounding EQ's in the first place.

For me, I boost a tiny bit at 200 and/or 400 for a fatter jazz sound. It can be useful to do this and then turn it off for a thinner comping sound.

Or if there is a peak somewhere in the higher end a slight reduction is useful. Or down a bit at 100 for a boomy amp. Or up a bit at 800 for a lead rockish sound to get through the mix.

They are also useful to help correct for odd room acoustics.

But a little goes a long way. +15 or -15? Dubious.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill View Post
    In my experience, the less the better with graphics, which are not the best sounding EQ's in the first place.

For me, I boost a tiny bit at 200 and/or 400 for a fatter jazz sound. It can be useful to do this and then turn it off for a thinner comping sound.

Or if there is a peak somewhere in the higher end a slight reduction is useful. Or down a bit at 100 for a boomy amp. Or up a bit at 800 for a lead rockish sound to get through the mix.

They are also useful to help correct for odd room acoustics.

But a little goes a long way. +15 or -15? Dubious.
    If you need 15db adjustments on yout sound, there's somehing seriously wrong with your gear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Avery Roberts View Post
    Using a BOSS GE-7:
    100 0
    200 -5
    400 +6
    800 +15
    1.6k 0
    3.2k +15
    6.4 k -15

Pickup: Gibson IM-57P in the neck position (has built-in rumble filter inside the pickup)
    Amplifier: none (direct feed into mixing board driving a GainClone hi-fi amp which drives 2 PSB Alpha B1 monitors - no additional eq in the mixer, amp and monitors)
    Actually sounds really great. Thanks for taking the time to drop the suggestion!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill View Post
    Why is that? I thought "graphic" just refers to the fact they have a display or physical sliders, no?