The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 64

User Info Menu

Given Mark is pretty active on the forum and a number of his guitars have gone to various players I thought I might do a Campy picture thread. I am going to start feel free to give any information on one you have and see how many are on the forum. Mine was made for the late Rich Raezor in 1998. I bought in 2001 or 2002, not exactly sure. Mine is an 18 inch Cherry/reddish sunburst with the 1 3/4 neck with a typical deluxe. It possesses a wonderful bass response and has plenty of volume. It is very resonate and typical of a well-made acoustic archtop the sound does not break up the harder you play. I can dig in and play real rhythm and it just put out sound.

Campellone Picture thread-img_2737-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_2738-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_2739-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_2740-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_2741-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Campellone Picture thread-img_0403-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_0397-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_0402-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_0399-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_0414-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_0410-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_0411-jpg

User Info Menu

Campellone Picture thread-img_1064-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_1061-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_1078-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_1058-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_1299-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_1305-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_1337-jpg

User Info Menu

Campellone Picture thread-img_1294-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_1315-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_1328-jpegCampellone Picture thread-img_1833-jpg

User Info Menu

This now belongs to Marco / Stringswinger to make room for my incoming Cameo.

Campellone Picture thread-img_0022-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_0005-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_0024-jpegCampellone Picture thread-img_0018-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_0026-jpegCampellone Picture thread-img_0030-jpegCampellone Picture thread-img_0032-jpeg

User Info Menu

My 2011 Special. The finish is “vintage sunburst” with premium flamed maple back and sides and one piece neck. It has the same dimensions as a Gibson Johnny Smith - 17” short body , 3” deep, 25” scale with 1 3/4” nut..
    Campellone Picture thread-version-1-uuid-7ac367d5-d1f9-4bbe-8496-36bf13e9dc6a-mode-compatible-noloc-1-jpegCampellone Picture thread-version-1-uuid-507f0a64-d503-4e16-8f2b-15c3d16cf13d-mode-compatible-noloc-1-jpegCampellone Picture thread-img_0587_original-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    Campellone Picture thread-img_0403-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_0397-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_0402-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_0399-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_0414-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_0410-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_0411-jpg
    That has to be the most perfectly beautiful guitar I have ever laid eyes on. Everywhere the eye lands, pure delight.

User Info Menu

Has he ever made 2 pickup versions?

User Info Menu

Never touched one, never seen one, never will have one, but these must be among the best there is today, both absolutely and in terms of value for money. The thing with individual luthiers is, once they're gone, they're gone. Gibson has had its up and downs, but the brand and continuity ensure value and collectability. Benedetto has addressed continuity in a desirable way, D'Angelico being exploited the opportunistic/commercial way. Will there be Campellones after Mark? I believe his guitars are so good it really won't matter.

User Info Menu

My 1996 Deluxe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
    Yes upon request

User Info Menu

Ok, now you guys are just showing off!

All beautiful instruments - thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

Those guitars are all breathtaking. Just WOW

User Info Menu

It’s actually a watercolor of a Campellone by artist Dan McCrary!

AKA
    Attached Images Attached Images Campellone Picture thread-img_0647-jpeg 
    Last edited by AKA; 11-01-2023 at 11:45 PM.

User Info Menu

The moment he decides to make a 7 string...

User Info Menu

Man, I need a cigarette after viewing all of the Campellone beauties in this thread. And I've never smoked a day in my life.

User Info Menu

These days i lack the necessary time to take pictures which would be representative of the beauty of the 2002 Special which i recently acquired from Mark Campellone. Besides it being a very effortless playable and gorgeous sounding instrument, it is the most beautiful guitar i ever held in my hands.

Campellone Picture thread-img_3850-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_1389-jpg
    Last edited by JazzNote; 11-02-2023 at 07:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr690 View Post
    My 1996 Deluxe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To heck with the guitar. Those Impulse albums say it all!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA View Post
    It’s actually a watercolor of a Campellone by artist Dan McCrary!

AKA
    Great to see Dan's watercolor here - his work is mind boggling - I did a lot of art work as a kid, including some watercolor - I know how unforgiving a medium it is, which makes Dan's work even more astounding.

Here are Dan's painting and the original photo he worked from for comparison - in the original photo, the ebony fingerboard and pickguard had some glare, so he darkened them up in the painting -

Campellone Picture thread-dans-painting-jpgCampellone Picture thread-original-photo-1024x701-640x438-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone View Post
    Great to see Dan's watercolor here - his work is mind boggling - I did a lot of art work as a kid, including some watercolor - I know how unforgiving a medium it is, which makes Dan's work even more astounding.

Here are Dan's painting and the original photo he worked from for comparison -

Attachment 106134Attachment 106137
    That’s a painting?! As a wannabe photographer that definitely fooled me!

User Info Menu

Amazing talent - both guys. WOW

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
    I've done a few with double built-in PU's -

Campellone Picture thread-img_0314-610x1024-jpg
    Campellone Picture thread-glenmrtl-jpg

Campellone Picture thread-img_7880-782x1024-jpg

User Info Menu

Any 7 string Campellones out there?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasguitar View Post
    Any 7 string Campellones out there?
    No. Despite several times when I've written Mark to plea with him to build me one, this is the gracious reply I've received:
    " I'm afraid, though, that I'll have to disappoint you on the idea of a 7-string Cameo. I appreciate that you understand the extra work involved and are willing to pay for it, but it's more about the time than the money. There would be a lot of re-design work to do, plus making up new jigs and templates, etc. - I currently have over 3 years worth of orders to fulfill, and I feel that's where I need to focus my time and energy right now. Apologetically,
    Mark"

He knows the Benedetto approach for marrying a 7 string neck to a standard 6 string body by use of a fingerboard overhang, but it's his policy that he is exclusively a 6 string builder.
    Too bad. Write him though, he should know a ready market is open to him should he decide so. Perhaps if there were enough of us to fulfill one run, it would be worth his time to do a batch of 7s. No harm in asking, eh? I'd commission one but I'm also resigned that my Jimmy D'Aquisto 7 will be my steadfast companion for now.

User Info Menu

I could not even get Mark to agree do an 18 inch 6 string guitar and he has built those in the past.