The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 64

User Info Menu

I'd be curious to know who, assuming Campellone is out, you all would opt for to build a custom 7 string. I only mention this here, because a friend and I were discussing custom 7 strings yesterday, and he said Campellone would be his go-to. Too bad it seems infeasible at this point.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Holst.

User Info Menu

This thread is dangerous. I managed to finagle my way onto Mark's list (way down at the bottom) and, besides the waiting, the hard part is settling on which options I want to go with! I mean, if one is ordering a custom guitar, it should in some way be custom, shouldn't it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasguitar View Post
    I'd be curious to know who, assuming Campellone is out, you all would opt for to build a custom 7 string. I only mention this here, because a friend and I were discussing custom 7 strings yesterday, and he said Campellone would be his go-to. Too bad it seems infeasible at this point.
    Benedetto makes a very decent "stock" Bravo and B16 model 7 string and if you look on the used market, arguably affordable.

User Info Menu

Dale Unger.

User Info Menu

Ok, how about this for coincidence (or perhaps we file this one under "signs from the universe"). Just yesterday I post about bemoaning the yearslong wait. Today, I receive a message about a guitar I'm selling. Someone wants to trade me for...you guessed it....a Campellone. "Ok", I tell myself "check out the specs. It probably won't be what you want". Well, it's almost exactly what I would have picked (I probably would have went with a different pickup, but those aren't hard to swap). So it looks like I won't have long to wait after all. NGD incoming. I blame all you "bad" influences on this forum.

User Info Menu

I got on the wait list in late 2021 after reading the raving reviews of Campellones. Well, fast forward to this month and my guitar is done!

I wanted something familiar but unique. Should be shipping soon. Here's mine.

Campellone Picture thread-1710891902772blob-jpg

Campellone Picture thread-1710891914507blob-jpg

User Info Menu

Wonderful color choices!

User Info Menu

I've been jonesing for a Campellone for a while now. After Mark told me he had pressed pause on adding to his wait list and suggested I shop for a used one, I followed his advice. Here's the one I decided on - UPS says it will be here this coming Monday. It's a 2008, 17 inch, 1-3/4" nut and 25 inch scale. Woo hoo!

Campellone Picture thread-full-frontal-campellone-deluxe-pngCampellone Picture thread-full-back-campellone-png

User Info Menu

Damn, you did score! Congrats. It looks just wonderful. Give a hands-on when it arrives!

User Info Menu

My '20 Standard Custom is nice. Nice tip o' the ol' Hatlo hat to an early '50s L-5CES. B-I-G neck. Pix in a few days when I get it back. Until then...
    Attached Images Attached Images Campellone Picture thread-2020-54x0520-standard-custom-hi-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; Today at 02:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Love a big neck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    This '20 Standard Custom is nice. Nice tip o' the ol' Hatlo hat to an early '50s L-5CES. B-I-G neck.
    What's big in your view? We had a bit of this discussion in the neck size thread, just wondering what this one is. My Campy is nice and full as well.

User Info Menu

For me, A '51 Nocaster sized neck is big; a '58 Les Paul is big. I like 'em big. I don't need them that big, but I do enjoy them and find them very comfortable. Around 1" deep at the nut, I guess, and not a whole lot of taper. I had Saul Koll build me an archtop with a big neck like that once. It was very comfy, for me. I also think there may be tonal/sustain positives for large neck sizes. Definitely, maybe~
    Greg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill View Post
    What's big in your view? We had a bit of this discussion in the neck size thread, just wondering what this one is. My Campy is nice and full as well.
    This guitar:
    -1 11/16" nut width - I prefer 1 3/4", but 1 11/16" works fine for me as well;
    -.97" - depth at the 1st fret;
    -1.00" - depth at the 9th fret;
    -soft V to C neck profile.

I've measured a bunch of bigger-necked late '40s / early '50s Gibson archtops.
    -Nut width is fairly consistent @1 11/16";
    -Depth at the 1st fret varies from @.88" to .95";
    -Depth at the 9th fret is consistently @1" deep;
    -Neck profile is consistently a rounded C shape.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 04-20-2024 at 11:25 PM.

User Info Menu

That's a NICE size!

User Info Menu

That sounds like the ideal neck to me! I also prefer 1-3/4" nut width but the soft-V to C profile about an inch deep is really my happy place. Play it in good health!

User Info Menu

As someone who is a Campellone fan and a big single coil devotee, that really knocks my socks off!
    Last edited by andrew; 04-21-2024 at 10:42 AM.

User Info Menu

I believe Mark is happy to install two set-in pickups, but, as he mentioned above, has actually made very few with that configuration out of the @605 archtop guitars he has built to date. I found three - and that sunburst Deluxe he posted above and below makes four.

Attached Images Attached Images Campellone Picture thread-campy-x-3-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 04-21-2024 at 02:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Vin, Everytime I see that Special, I want it.
    Like Lawson said, the most perfect guitar he’s ever seen.
    Me too.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    I believe Mark is happy to install two set-in pickups, but has actually made very few with that configuration out of the @605 archtop guitars he has built to date. Here are three that I have found:

Doesn't that one on the right seem like it's missing something? Knobs? Or a switch perhaps?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Doesn't that one on the right seem like it's missing something? Knobs? Or a switch perhaps?
    From Mark's Gallery: "Serial #3570109 Custom 16" – this double cutaway custom was built for Michigan guitarist Steve Correll. Steve plays ‘lefty strung righty’ and wanted this guitar to function as a right handed instrument as well – hence the double cutaway upper bout and side-dot position markers on both sides of the neck. The only controls are thumbwheel volume pots for each pickup, located just inside the treble side f-hole. ..."

User Info Menu

Here's one more double PU model from 2014 (along side its 18" older brother).

Campellone Picture thread-glenmrtl-jpg

User Info Menu

.......and just for fun, here are some shots of my first archtop build - 1988.

Campellone Picture thread-img_3500-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_3503-jpgCampellone Picture thread-img_3516-jpg

User Info Menu

That’s a BIG BOY. Did you build that one around the time of the BLUE?