The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I am seriously considering one…. Owners / players… any input? Thanks so much!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Beautiful looking 175 Laminate at a good entry price. What’s not to like. I owned a JP880 beautiful instrument, only sold it to have a custom built Elferink Tonemaster

User Info Menu

No experience with 480, but I've had an '07 JP880 for something like 7 years and even thought I own a couple of much more expensive 16 inch archtops I'll never part with the Eastman.

The sound will be different. Some things I love about mine that may be similar to the 480: excellent fit and finish, beautiful wood, and my favourite neck profile and body dimensions. A very comfy ride for me.

You've probably seen this, but might be of interest if not:

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola has played one off and on at his Birdland Guitar Nights. You can find them on YouTube, and look for the ones on which he plays it. Sounds fine to me, but it's Vignola playing it, so it should.

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for the heads up! Does sound beautiful! So appreciative of your input! Best always my friend, Kelly

User Info Menu

I love mine, it sounds great and can get any tone I need . The neck has quite a nice full profile , again something that I like and the playability is great. Quite a comfortable body depth too. B

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Top of the Arch!
    I love mine, it sounds great and can get any tone I need . The neck has quite a nice full profile , again something that I like and the playability is great. Quite a comfortable body depth too. B
    How they are selling these guitars for only $1600 is beyond me because it sounds and feels like a guitar costing 3 times as much.On top of all that it looks beautiful.

User Info Menu

Those of you who have played this new version. Is the neck profile the same as a 175? I need a thinner one but love the 175 sound so was considering the 480. Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Que Rico
    Those of you who have played this new version. Is the neck profile the same as a 175? I need a thinner one but love the 175 sound so was considering the 480. Thanks
    I wouldn't count on the 480 sounding just like the 175.

Cosmetically they're similar.

Construction is different.
    • Typical neck on 175 is mahogany; neck on 480 is maple.
    • Typical fingerboard on 175 is rosewood; fingerboard on 480 is ebony.
    • Body is shallower on 480 than on 175.

I don't have any knowledge of the differences in neck carves of the two guitars.

Result of all this is a guitar that will sound just fine but won't sound exactly like an ES175. If you want a 480, that's fine, but don't buy one thinking it will be a 175. Buy it for its own merits.

User Info Menu

If you want an idea of what it sounds like,go on Youtube and see Frank Vignola's Guitar Night.He's been playing the 480 almost exclusively the last couple of months.I wouldn't call the neck profile thin on the 480.An Epiphone Premium es 175 has a thinner neck and if you can find one from a few years back they used Gibson pickups in them.

User Info Menu

The neck profile on mine is for sure not thin or slim, full size grip is what I would say. Regardless of neck size it is one of the best sounding and playing guitars I've owned in 50 plus years of playing guitar. I have a love hate relationship with Eastman's as I've had some shitty ones and some great ones, for what that's worth. Try before you buy if poss. Just my 2 cents! Bob

User Info Menu

For those of you who own one of these, does it sit balanced on the lap or does it neck dive?

User Info Menu

It is perfectly balanced.

User Info Menu

Thx!!

I'm thinking of getting one of these as a replacement for my Comins GCS-16 which I have recently realized is uncomfortable to play on a strap for an extended period because the heavy headstock pulls on the strap which pulls on the neck/shoulders, which exacerbates issues I have

User Info Menu

Just seeing if anyone else has any thoughts on this guitar? I don't see a lot of threads about this one. The price is certainly very reasonable. Love the styling and it is pretty close imo to Joe Pass' final custom 175 minus the pickup not being flush against the fingerboard, another guitar I've always pined for. I don't love the tailpiece but I was thinking if I got one I would take the pickguard off and replace (but keep) the tailpiece with a golden metal one. I had an 880 model that I had to sell for some bills that I really liked but it was probably for the best as I've found I really like laminate boxes.

Is it a bright guitar, warm guitar? I would think it tends a little brighter with the maple neck and ebony board plus the fact that Eastman guitars tend to the bright side.

Given Eastman's reputation on necks I would guess these would be consistently full/moderate-profile, C-shaped necks, which I really like.

I currently have an Ibanez that I quite like all around EXCEPT the neck is just way too thin. I need some leverage and play a lot of chords and I think Ibanez guitars are probably better suited to "fast" players.

User Info Menu

Let's be honest,if the 480 had Gibson on the headstock and sold for 4k or more there would be a lot more people raving about it.

User Info Menu

I have one and I play it often. It's rich and warm and full, not bright like my AR371s were. With those guitars, I replaced the pick-ups to reduce the highs.

I often practice with the 480 unplugged. The neck is full, not thin. For what it's worth, you may think differently of the pick guard when you see it up close. It has an art deco flair to it, and it matches the binding on the sides and headstock.

One main advantages of this guitar is that it is outfitted with higher-end appointments - the Seth Lover pick-up, the Gotoh tuners, the ebony control nobs, tailpiece and bridge - and the street price is very very low. Follow-one on Reverb from a reputable seller and you'll likely receive a 10% discount offer within 24 hours.