The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I have a Broadway that really needs some work. It has 3 frets that are lifting a little, grover tuners that need replacing, and a few other minor things. I purchased a set of gotoh 510 with ebony wood buttons. They look great but are not drop ins. Would you plug and do new holes for the gotoh or change the hole in the gotoh tuner itself? It's only the locater small screw hole that is not the same as the grover tuners. I usually don't like making changes that can't be reversed. There seems to be some kind of attachment that the wires are running through inside the guitar. Is there a way to open those up? How should I press those frets back down? I have a stewmac hand visegrip type pess with all the different radius inserts but they are too long for the frets because of the nubs. Should I buy a sacrificial 10 radius inserts and cut it down to fit between the nubs? I can't believe that someone was playing the guitar like it was. The action was way high and the bridge has been in the wrong spot almost since new. Thr finish has faded a lot and i just did a setup and the bridge needed to be moved a full width to make intonation right. Big old light spot in the finish but i am happy with it. It has incredible tone. It is even amazing in the acoustic department. I cant believe the sustain of this box. Bought it mostly for rockabilly, but it will do it all. I feel fortunate to have it. Thanks for listening to my rant.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I wouldn’t add holes for tuners. That always devalues a guitar and is sad to see when done, although your call in the end.

You could probably wick some glue into the area with the raised frets and hammer them down with the appropriate hammer (soft) but ask for more advice in the ‘workkbench’ section.

Post some pics too if poss?

A picture of some needed work.
    Attached Images Attached Images Epiphone Broadway elite-20231216_161717-jpg 

User Info Menu

Sweet guitar. Enjoy!

I am. I love it.

User Info Menu

Those Epiphone Elite guitars are not so often seen and are excellent instruments (provided they have been well kept). As for the tuners, I wouldn't use any that requires surgery of the headstock. You say it has Grover tuners at present. Why not just get another set of Grover tuners. I would think one can get ebony buttons for them too. You can always sell off the Gotoh tuners you bought.

User Info Menu

Gotoh 510 tuners are also available with the locater screw hole on the same position as on the Grovers for a direct replacement. I would go for this type.
    Lifted frets are a sign for a dried out fretboard. After fixing that fret issue don't forget to oil the fretboard.

The gotoh 510 are definitely not drop in replacements. The small alignment screw hole is a different length from the middle of the tuner. I was able to massage the small hole in the tuner enough to fit. You can't tell by looking at it even close up. There is no way I was going to change the holes in the headstock. Oh and I can't stand the grover tuners. Now that the 510 tuners are on, they look fantastic and work so much better than the grover. The 510s look and match the guitar so much better than the grover. Will try to get a picture up.

User Info Menu

Nice project! Thanks for sharing.

I had been looking for one of those Broadway Elite guitars but wound up with a Sebring. I wound up replacing all the electronics, including the pots, pickups and selector switch. Mine came with pretty nice tuners that I wound up keeping.

Epiphone Broadway elite-screen-shot-2023-12-17-12-17-40-pm-png
    Epiphone Broadway elite-screen-shot-2023-12-17-12-21-46-pm-png

User Info Menu

SGV510 - G-GOTOH

That's what bluenote61 kindly suggested but you're not listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    SGV510 - G-GOTOH

That's what bluenote61 kindly suggested but you're not listening.
    No I'm listening, those are the ones I have. They are not the same footprint as the grover tuners that came on the guitar as measured with my micrometer. Ok

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timsmcm
    No I'm listening, those are the ones I have. They are not the same footprint as the grover tuners that came on the guitar as measured with my micrometer. Ok
    Would be interesting to know which Grover tuners do you had on the Epi.

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    Nice project! Thanks for sharing.

I had been looking for one of those Broadway Elite guitars but wound up with a Sebring. I wound up replacing all the electronics, including the pots, pickups and selector switch. Mine came with pretty nice tuners that I wound up keeping.

Epiphone Broadway elite-screen-shot-2023-12-17-12-17-40-pm-png
    Epiphone Broadway elite-screen-shot-2023-12-17-12-21-46-pm-png
    How do you like that Sebring? It is a beautiful guitar.