The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I'd like to try one, they're pretty expensive ($150) for what they are.

If you know of alternatives, let me know. I use a foot rest.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What's wrong with a guitar strap? When seated, it provides the proper support and angle for playing my archtop, encouraging me to sit back and not hunch forward.

User Info Menu

I have a Mundo guitar support. It has become rather expensive, but it works well for me. It supports the guitar in almost any position, pivoting on a ball on the top of the leg piece. It's a little taller than I really like, but it still works.

User Info Menu

Edit: this was meant as a response to Jazz shrink.

My left shoulder can't handle a strap for even a few minutes any more. Sitting doesn't help. If the guitar is actually on my leg then I'm too hunched and my back hurts. If it's high enough for me to not hunch then the full weight is on my shoulder.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 09-27-2023 at 09:17 PM.

User Info Menu

I use the performaxe. On a solid body or semi hollow. They're designed for a narrower body, not even as deep as a Byrdland.
    On a solid, it's great. I play with full access to the neck, sets a steel neck about the position of a classic on a footstool.
    It's tricky to buy one. He makes them in small quantity and you get on the notification Email list. When he's got a bunch made, he sends you an Email. You've got about a day to order before they're all sold out.
    fep, if you'd like to try one, I can send you one. I got an extra for a guitar I haven't completed yet. You can try it, send it back to me if you don't like it, buy it from me if you do. I really like mine.
    Performaxe - anyone try one?-screen-shot-2023-09-27-7-48-19-pm-pngPerformaxe - anyone try one?-screen-shot-2023-09-27-7-48-36-pm-png
    The clamp is adjustable by mini allen key, the arm rests on the guitar/leg. It's a life saver for me. I have Ulnar Nerve entrapment and a strap would numb my arm and hand.

They're not cheap but they're not cheap. Solid milled aluminum, hefty and holds the guitar stable (even more stable than a very stable genius). The workmanship feels good. I think they're made in Italy.
    Last edited by Jimmy blue note; 09-27-2023 at 09:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes, I've been on the Performaxe "wait list" for many, many months! As "Jimmy" said, an email goes out (from the UK, and I'm in the western States), and by the time I've woken up and read emails, they're sold out! Wacky business model ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway View Post
    Edit: this was meant as a response to Jazz shrink.

My left shoulder can't handle a strap for even a few minutes any more. Sitting doesn't help. If the guitar is actually on my leg then I'm too hunched and my back hurts. If it's high enough for me to not hunch then the full weight is on my shoulder.
    Thanks for the schoolin'.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzshrink View Post
    Thanks for the schoolin'.
    Perspective changes when you get really old

User Info Menu

I use one with my 335. It works great for me.

I have used a Dynarette cushion for years, and i find it gives me the perfect hight and position with my telecaster.

The 335 on the other hand gets too high for me with the Dynarette, so the Performaxe with its adjustable hight is perfect.

I work full time as a guitar teacher, so having the guitar in a comfortable position with my back straight is essential for long days of teaching.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway View Post
    Perspective changes when you get really old
    I forget how lucky I am to be in my mid-sixties and still be able to use a strap. On the other hand, there's not enough money in the world to get me to hang a Les Paul around my neck (although I might for a gifted Campellone).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzshrink View Post
    I forget how lucky I am to be in my mid-sixties and still be able to use a strap. On the other hand, there's not enough money in the world to get me to hang a Les Paul around my neck (although I might for a gifted Campellone).
    I think I was 65 when I started using the Dynarette cushion. Every year since then denial has gotten more difficult
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 04-20-2024 at 12:57 AM.

User Info Menu

The corner of your shoulder is one of the strongest and toughest structural parts of the body - it's the part American football players bang into each other...

I use a mandolin strap, perfect length for sitting and standing without adjustment, no buckle or other parts. Also no padding and 3/4" wide, but I run it over the corner of my shoulder and my 9 lbs guitar feels fine throughout four hours of performance.

Try running your current strap over the corner of your shoulder and feel the difference. If you have ever tried using a strap that ties to the head stock, you will recall how it felt nice because the strap runs up and over the corner of your shoulder in order to go to the head stock - I'm making it do that on purpose without tieing to the head stock, the benefit is the same.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep View Post
    I'd like to try one, they're pretty expensive ($150) for what they are.

If you know of alternatives, let me know. I use a foot rest.
    These two look cheaper - not as sturdy, maybe plastic. But I ordered the first one from 'zon because it's easy enough to return for free if it's junk. And it looks like it's not width adjustable. The 2nd one is homemade from a 3D printer.

Amazon.com

etsy.com