The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

The pursuit of a specific guitar can often be a long and arduous journey, filled with anticipation, disappointment, and sometimes, sheer luck. My quest began with a desire to find a slim body carved archtop guitar, a desire that was primarily sparked by the enchanting sound of Anthony Wilson's 1958 Byrdland on the Diana Krall Live in Paris album. The tone was nothing short of mesmerizing, and I was determined to recreate it.

My initial attempts involved trying out a few Byrdlands and ES-350t guitars. However, the short scale neck of these models did not resonate with me. I found it difficult to establish a connection with these instruments, which led me to explore other options.

After conducting extensive research, I discovered the Gibson L5 CT, a cutaway thinline model. I was immediately intrigued by its unique design and decided that I needed to try one. However, this proved to be a challenge as these models are extremely rare. Every time one became available, it was quickly snapped up before I could even consider purchasing it.

During my research, I also discovered that there was a rarer, one pickup version of the Gibson L5 CT. This discovery further piqued my interest as I have always preferred one pickup over two. To add to the rarity, I found out that there were only a couple of these models made in a blonde color. To the best of my knowledge, only two blonde single pickup wesmo L5 CTs were ever produced.

One of these rare guitars was sold at Norms a few years ago, while the other was available for purchase in Japan at Walkin. Unfortunately, I discovered the one at Norms only after it had been sold. The one in Japan, however, was within my grasp, but my hesitation cost me the opportunity to acquire it. It was sold before I could make up my mind.

However, fate had a different plan. The same guitar that I had missed out on in Japan was once again up for sale. I saw it on Walkin's Instagram page and without wasting any time, I purchased it before the listing was even complete. The guitar was delivered to me today by USPS.

As of now, I have not had the opportunity to set it up or plug it in. But the anticipation is building, and I am eagerly looking forward to the moment when I can finally play this rare and beautiful instrument tonight.

Snagged a white whale-img_7815-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congats! As good as it gets!

User Info Menu

Here's hoping this guitar delivers where the others did not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Here's hoping this guitar delivers where the others did not.
    not the comment I was expecting

User Info Menu

Beautiful instrument! How deep is a CT?

User Info Menu

I expect there are Campellone's that are in a dimensionally similar envelope and would shock you with how amazing they perform.
    Did your journey take you there?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    However, fate had a different plan. The same guitar that I had missed out on in Japan was once again up for sale. I saw it on Walkin's Instagram page and without wasting any time, I purchased it before the listing was even complete. The guitar was delivered to me today by USPS.
    I love it when the guitar finds you as much as you searched for it. She knows where she belongs. Congratulations!! I hope to hear you play it....Peter

User Info Menu

What a beauty!

User Info Menu

Looks great. Wouldn't mind some time on it myself!

User Info Menu

That's very nice O!
    Beautiful. Can't wait to see you playing it!
    Congratulations

Thank you all!

Some replies are in order:

The depth is 2 3/8", just barely deeper than a Byrdland (2 1/4").

I have yet to try a Campellone. I hear great things but for a purchase like this, I want to stick with a known and trusted brand.

Yes I owe everyone some recordings!

Finally, I bet you all couldn't tell that the OP was written by chat gpt.

User Info Menu

A tough act to follow right there. Congrats !

User Info Menu

Well, Juan, it briefly passed through my mind that you had taken a few elocution lessons but no, I did not put that down to AI.
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 09-22-2023 at 06:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Good job Juan! I like SS hope it delivers the proper sound. In my years of buying guitars without playing them first all is up for grabs. One thing for sure it looks beautiful and a picture of the back of the guitar and more pics are required. This is a blond and we can look at them all day with no worries.

User Info Menu

Congrats for the dream catch! It appears your research paid off and that fate was on your side.

Walkin is a great shop. When I stopped in there a while back intending to try out a few of the Westviews and Archtop Tributes, they had a small selection of choice vintage instruments on offer, too. I went with a new Westville Aruba, but was very tempted indeed by the others!

User Info Menu

Wow! That is gorgeous! Congrats.

I played a thinline Campellone at Rudy’s a few years ago and thought it was the nicest guitar I have ever played. It sounds like you found exactly what you were after. And what a great story. I had a similar experience where I waited too long for a one off flamenca blanca from my favorite builder, only to find it on Reverb a year or so later. Now it’s mine. Enjoy It!

User Info Menu

Oh wow.

User Info Menu

Very cool. Looking forward to your thoughts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    I expect there are Campellone's that are in a dimensionally similar envelope and would shock you with how amazing they perform.
    Did your journey take you there?
    Mark has made @six 17" thinline archtops. There may be a few more, but those are not specifically identified as thinline guitars.

User Info Menu

What a beauty! Congrats! Oh, and could not agree more about the guitar tone on Live In Paris!

User Info Menu

‘Thar she blows!” I love everything about this beautiful guitar. Visually stunning! And it will be a treat to hear more about the sound and playing experience. More pics please . At some point, a sound clip would be a blessing to all. Congratulations!

User Info Menu

You wont be dissapointed. That guitar looks simply stunning. Play it in good health sir !

CT's are so comfortable to play. I have a 2002 2PU Hutch in cherry and it is my fav guitar. Compared to my 1977 CES, the CT feels much more comfortable. Especially when sitting down.

Snagged a white whale-img_2057-002-jpg

User Info Menu

There is no real downside to buying a Gibson. It's like money in the bank. Top tier instrument, recognizable sound and there is no one that sources better woods. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

The joys of being on this forum... you get to discover ("undress"?) stunning beauties such as this one!

User Info Menu

Man oh man! Some guitars sound good just lookin' at 'em, don't they?

Congrats on the score. I'm looking forward to hearing more about it when the time comes.
    Cheers.