The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello - I play a Gibson ES-339 and would like to switch to a higher gauge string at this point. I am currently playing 10-46 gauge strings and would like to replace them with D'Addario Pure Nickel Round Wound 12-52 gauge. I'm wondering if folks here can provide input from experience if I should anticipate needing to make any set-up adjustment in order to account for the gauge increase, and what those adjustments might entail. My 339 has a bone nut and a Tone Pro AVR-2 bridge on it... if that's useful information. Thank you for your time.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Maybe, maybe not. The most likely adjustment would be the truss rod, which might need to be tightened slightly to remove excess relief. Or not, no way to tell until it's strung up to pitch with the new strings. Even if the new strings cause more relief, you might be okay with that. About all I can tell you is to put the strings on and see what happens. It's also possible, although not especially likely, that the nut slots might need to be widened ever so slightly, if the strings bind there. But two thousandths of an inch or so shouldn't be a problem, although the bass strings might be even larger. Again, just string it up and see. If you then need help, come back with specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Maybe, maybe not. The most likely adjustment would be the truss rod, which might need to be tightened slightly to remove excess relief. Or not, no way to tell until it's strung up to pitch with the new strings. Even if the new strings cause more relief, you might be okay with that. About all I can tell you is to put the strings on and see what happens. It's also possible, although not especially likely, that the nut slots might need to be widened ever so slightly, if the strings bind there. But two thousandths of an inch or so shouldn't be a problem, although the bass strings might be even larger. Again, just string it up and see. If you then need help, come back with specifics.
    Great advice, makes sense. I'll string it up in the next couple days and then assess.

User Info Menu

If you’re going up from 10s to 12s then the nut slots might need widening. If so, putting on 12s might cause some tuning issues. Going up to 11s should work without widening the slots, but no guarantees. The truss rod will almost certainly need a tweak and the guitar’s intonation will have to be checked. When it comes to truss rod adjustments and nut slots… when in doubt… then don’t. A good setup by a pro is worth every penny.

User Info Menu

Hey cool, a GBV fan.

Also worth a shot replacing just the trebles with a higher gauge. I find heavier basses doesn't do much but make the guitar harder to play....but heavier trebles is a real tone enhancer.

I use a mixed set, .012s on the bottom and a .013 and .017 up top. You might try going up to .011s on the trebles and seeing what you think, or mix .011s and .012s...at any rate, it will be less of a sudden change for the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Hey cool, a GBV fan.

Also worth a shot replacing just the trebles with a higher gauge. I find heavier basses doesn't do much but make the guitar harder to play....but heavier trebles is a real tone enhancer.

I use a mixed set, .012s on the bottom and a .013 and .017 up top. You might try going up to .011s on the trebles and seeing what you think, or mix .011s and .012s...at any rate, it will be less of a sudden change for the neck.
    The club is open!

Replacing the trebles is an approach I did not consider... interesting. This might solve a lot if not all of the set up impact I'd have to mitigate if I jumped up several gauges on the Low E and A strings. Thanks for your input on this.