The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Hi, I understand that this subject has been talked in couple threads, but I had one specific question related to difference in sound between two models.

I'm hoping for more traditional warm sound, though I do like the versatility that Kingpin II has. My question is, would the bridge pickup make a difference in the tone of the guitar compared to the older version when getting the sound only through the neck pickup? I'm wondering if the fact that another pickup being placed on the body would make any difference in resonance of the body, etc. I'm sure there would be some difference in tone, but not sure how different it would be.

I was only able to try the older version in my area, which I really liked. If anyone has experiences with both guitars, please let me know what you thought of them. I'd appreciate any input.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I only played a 2 pup version briefly, and I own a 1.

basically, plugged in, no diff. Unplugged, there was a little more volume and a slightly more robust tone from the 1 pickup model. Neither are a "go to" acoustic guitar, IMHO.

I personally wish they'd do a 1 pickup cutaway version, I'd be on that in a heartbeat.

User Info Menu

+1 on the single pickup cutaway!
    Or, an acoustic cutaway, which I can't special order, I asked.
    Love my acoustic 5th Ave., it's my "all-arounder.'

User Info Menu

So for plugging in, it wouldn't make much difference?

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    +1 on the single pickup cutaway!
    Or, an acoustic cutaway, which I can't special order, I asked.
    Love my acoustic 5th Ave., it's my "all-arounder.'
    Have you used your acoustic in a bigger space? Do you ever attach any pickup or mic to amplify the sound? How does the volume of acoustic version compare to, say gypsy guitars?

User Info Menu

I asked them about the 1 PU cutaway last year.. nothing in the works.
    When I asked them 2.5 years ago about a cutaway they said SURE and sure enough...
    I also asked if they do custom orders (they are about a 30 min drive from here). Sorry.. not setup for it.

User Info Menu

much quieter than a good gypsy guitar.

compared to a cheapo, it'll hold up just fine. But they're very much ELECTRIC guitars.

To me, the non-pickup fifth avenue is for recording and very enjoyable home use, maybe a coffehouse solo gig (and that's a maybe)

My kingpin (played acoustically) would be drowned out by an unamplified piano player.

User Info Menu

I appreciate all your inputs.. Considering acoustic volume being low, if there's not much difference plugged in, I think I'm going to go for Kingpin II_

Hopefully a good gypsy guitar would be next..

User Info Menu

Sorry to mislead...
    for me, 'all-arounder' means beach guitar, practice guitar,
    leave out & not worry about humidification guitar, what-the-hell
    take it along just in case guitar. Too quiet for anything but
    "kitchen musicianship' for me.

I have thought about putting a kent armstrong on the end of the
    fretboard, or if I get rich, a Lollar pickguard mounted C.Christian.
    But why? I've got an ES125. Then again if bread were no object, why not?

I've thought of checking out the Gretsch equivalents before spending
    on the Godin. The 5th Ave. has a lot of personality though and might amplify
    beautifully; I haven't played the electric models.

User Info Menu

played the gretsch. poly-soaked, pretty, but toneless, IMHO. you did good on the kingpin.

sktsage, the only problem i have with the cutaway version is the price-- I got my kingpin for 500 bucks...I have a hard time believing the cutaway and extra pickup cost them 400 dollars! But the 1 pickup model went for $780 or above when it first came out...

If you can find one at a good price, nab it--the godins are a VERY well made instrument, that in my opinion, blow the doors off ANY competitor in the same price range.

I say that not because I own own, that's why I own one.

User Info Menu

Thank you for the 'headzup' on the Gretsch & the compliment.

Nice 'why/because' assessment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    I asked them about the 1 PU cutaway last year.. nothing in the works.
    When I asked them 2.5 years ago about a cutaway they said SURE and sure enough...
    I also asked if they do custom orders (they are about a 30 min drive from here). Sorry.. not setup for it.
    The 5th Avenue I'd love to see?

Single magnetic p/u (preferably a floating humbucker)
    Piezo in the bridge
    cutaway
    controls mounted on the pickguard - little flush mounted stealth pots.

User Info Menu

I bought it! I went for the newer one with cutaway, since I was able to find one at a good price_ Now, just waiting for it to get here..

User Info Menu

Hndg!

User Info Menu

Good choice. I tried the cutaway version in a shop and thought it was really nice; however I just got (3days ago) the single pickup, non cutaway due to cost. I really am pleased the way it feels and sounds through the amp. It has much different sound than anything that I already have. It sort of feels like an acoustic but plugged in it has a rich full sound.

I am sure you'll enjoy!

The case is pretty weird though. It is actually some kind of styrofoam. Very light. Time will tell how protective.

-have fun

Why, I am considering buying a Godin Kingpin I myself. While this is all well and good, I'm mostly ignorant on the subject of other mid-priced archtop guitars (besides Ibanez artcore and whichever else). Do educate me, you fine folks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phantegrodak
    Why, I am considering buying a Godin Kingpin I myself. While this is all well and good, I'm mostly ignorant on the subject of other mid-priced archtop guitars (besides Ibanez artcore and whichever else). Do educate me, you fine folks!
    I think I'm among the most vocal supporters of the Godin 5th ave. line here, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but...

I played a Kingpin and sold my Epiphone the next day, and bought the Godin. The difference in quality, playability, and tone, both plugged in and unplugged, was night and day.

The kingpin isn't flashy, but it's also not coated in a 1/4 inch of goopy poly. The small frets are meant for jazz players, unlike the speedbump jumbos ibanez puts on their archtops. I can't say enough good about them--they should probably do a humbucker model or a one-pickup cutaway model, and they could own the budget archtop market.

all IMHO, of course.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bflat

The case is pretty weird though. It is actually some kind of styrofoam. Very light. Time will tell how protective.

-have fun
    The case is called TRIC and it stands for “Thermally Regulated Instrument Case.” It can withstand temperatures from -50c to +150c and keep your guitar unharmed. And that 'styrofoam' is actually the same material they put in bicycle helmets. Here is a page describing the case. It is manufactured in Canada and made by Godin.

A&L Tric Case

User Info Menu

TRIC

That is something else. At first glance I thought is was a cheap, low quality case. After carrying the guitar around I appreciated how light the thing is. Now after reading the link in the last post I am glad it came with the guitar. Pretty high tech.

Thanks for the info!