The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 84

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Hahaaa
    Yeah bro. I'm down to 202, from 244 on 12/28/22. You know what they say.. "You never see a fat old guy"..
    And as for my beloved little ol' grey chord..
    I did an A/B the other day using it, another Gibson shielded grey chord and a modern chord. Out of the 3, I liked this one the best. It sounds closest to the unplugged sound when using that chord. My L5's sound best with the modern chords.
    I dont know.. Once I get something in my concrete head, its in there for good!
    Thanks WM
    Nice playing. I'm actually split between buying an L5 and a Le Grand (aka Johnny Smith). I don't get to try very many L5's. What is your take on the difference between the two?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    WOW - all is right again in this world.
    That GJS looks like a brand new shiny penny. Even the strap button is in the right place.
    Funny how magical a guitar can sound when it is in the right hands.
    Bravo Bro. ……Heaven dropped a big blessing onto your lap.
    So who got kicked out of the beautiful glass case…..
    Hey Bro,
    Thanks my man. Its a amazing that this guitar is 47 yrs old. They do make them to last when they are taken care of..
    The glass cabinet was vacated by the 175 about a month ago. 4 cases, 4 guitars. Perfecto!
    Thank you bro.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Great playing, thanks for posting.
    Thank You AllanAllen!
    My pleasure.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I’m so sentimental, and I just love happy endings!
    JD, you two belong together. Like Scotch and Soda.
    Is it just me, or have you lost weight? Those forearms!
    Keep playing that one my good brutha! That’s some of the finest tone you’re ever going to hear right there. You’ve got your tone down to a science!
    2B! My man.
    Yeah this guitar is my sidekick.
    And Yes, I lost weight. Bigtime. From 244 down to 202. If I really tried, I could probably get down to about 180. But I am a LIVE to EAT person. I love food. So I dont have the discipline to get down that far.. I just cut alot of the junk. I run through my neighborhood and around the lake every day in the mornings. That gives me a license to still eat whatever I want, except for Donuts, Cake and Cannolis..
    Thank You Brother. I appreciate it.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I needed a good happy story like this today. So nice to see that guitar where it belongs.
    Mr B! I appreciate it bud. I have been truly blessed.
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer096
    everything about this is beautiful
    Thank you sir! Beautiful is good!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Nice playing. I'm actually split between buying an L5 and a Le Grand (aka Johnny Smith). I don't get to try very many L5's. What is your take on the difference between the two?
    Oh man, I can help BIG-TIME on this one.
    You need both. Naa, im kidding.
    I have some L5's. I a/b'd them the other day and I came away from this thinking, the L5 is the pre-imminent Electric Archtop. Nothing compares to the scale, dimensions, built in pickup and any other magic powder they throw on those guitars. But acoustically, the GJS is just better. The electric sound with the GJS is great dont get me wrong. But the true throaty, deep, growl of a modern day L5 cannot be replicated by a GJS. The pickup is not powerful enough. Its a bit microphonic (especially with my badass grey chord that Wintermoon loves so much.._). The L5 is an incredible guitar. Once the honeymoon is over with the GJS, I will go back to playing the L5's and I will wonder why I even own a GJS. Then I'll realize that I am a pig and everything will fall into place.
    So the bottom line is, you can't go wrong with either. But if Electric is your style, go L5. If Acoustic is your style go GJS/LeGrand/L7c.
    Hope that helped you.
    JD
    PS, get both..

User Info Menu

Here some pics I took and another video.
    Wait Till You See Her ~ Gibson Johnny Smith
    Attached Images Attached Images Pics Added Gibson Johnny Smith - I got my baby back!!!-img_5785-jpg Pics Added Gibson Johnny Smith - I got my baby back!!!-img_5798-jpg Pics Added Gibson Johnny Smith - I got my baby back!!!-img_5806-jpg Pics Added Gibson Johnny Smith - I got my baby back!!!-img_5792-jpg Pics Added Gibson Johnny Smith - I got my baby back!!!-img_5795-jpg 

User Info Menu

Joe
    This is why I am on this board. Your story and your clip capture everything I love about this place.

It also reminded me of the one that never came back to me, my 90's Heritage Golden Eagle that I sold to dig out of a credit card debt hole. It's gone, and I just hope it found a good home.

I'm so glad your guitar made it back to you, and so glad to hear you playing!

User Info Menu

I always loved the big headstocks on JS’s, S400’s, and D’A’s.

User Info Menu

Lawson, my man!
    I hear you loud and clear. I have been sooo very lucky in so many ways.
    I hope one of these days your baby (in some form or other) comes back to you.
    I'll never stop playing. I might get to the point where I start to suck and I wont let anybody else hear me, But I wont stop playing, ever!
    Thanks buddy.
    JD

User Info Menu

Absolutely lovely. Congratulations on everything (and it seems like there's a lot for which to now be grateful).

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing. I saw Don Arnone play My Romance in a club, and it didn't come anywhere near your rendition. You're even connecting chords like JS did! That might as well have been JS' D'A.
    What a clear, perfect sound. Glad you got your baby back.

User Info Menu

I always loved the big headstocks on JS’s, S400’s, and D’A’s.
    Bro, yeah right, me too. I could use this one to take pizza out of the oven! Especially if those crappy ass Sealfasts weren't in the way!
    Which brings up an interesting point..
    I've gone on record here talking about these tuners. When I got this guitar back, I did a complete Wheels off detailing on it. Everything came off.
    The tuners were cleaned, one by one. The shaft where it comes out of the tuner body and goes into the back of the headstock has a VERY small gap that allows a thin cleaner to penetrate it. I used De-Solv-it Citrus with a syringe for that. Squirt some in. and turn the tuner a half a million times and the grease softens and comes right back through the same gap. Keep doing that until the stuff that comes out is no longer black. Then blow it out with an air blower. Once all the De-Solv-it is all drained, shot a little bit of Teflon based Tri-Flow Lubricant into the tuner. The tuners become brand new performing tuners again. Smooth as a babies ass.
    BUT THATS NOT THE PROBLEM!!
    The problem is those awful press fit bushings that are pressed into the front of the headstock. The tuners themselves are screwed onto the back and over time the cantilever affect makes them tilt. One of the screws on the back of the headstock ultimately strips and now the tuner shaft that holds the string is on an angle. Then it binds up on the inside of the press fit bushing. Thats why these tuners suck. Its not the materials, its the design.
    The newer design allows the tuner itself to be cinched to the headstock in more secure fashion with the nut on the front of the headstock.
    The only way to fix this is to fill the stripped hole with some Titebond wood glue and rethread the screws in.
    I will do that on the next string change. Then these tuners will be 100% perfect again.
    You cant rely on a screw into a piece of wood to hold for 40 years when then kind of opposing tension is drawing against it. The screws will eventually pull out of the wood.
    For long term reliability, go with the type of tuner that cinches to the headstock using the NUT on the face of the headstock. Much better design.
    I hope that helps somebody who struggles with these poorly designed tuners.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Absolutely lovely. Congratulations on everything (and it seems like there's a lot for which to now be grateful).
    Jim, Thank You so much for your post. Believe it or not, When I was recording this, I thought of you. I was thinking how great this guitar would sound if you were playing it. Dead serious. That dreamy thing that you do. Thank You Sir!
    JD

User Info Menu

Oh man, I can help BIG-TIME on this one.
    You need both. Naa, im kidding.
    I have some L5's. I a/b'd them the other day and I came away from this thinking, the L5 is the pre-imminent Electric Archtop. Nothing compares to the scale, dimensions, built in pickup and any other magic powder they throw on those guitars. But acoustically, the GJS is just better. The electric sound with the GJS is great dont get me wrong. But the true throaty, deep, growl of a modern day L5 cannot be replicated by a GJS. The pickup is not powerful enough. Its a bit microphonic (especially with my badass grey chord that Wintermoon loves so much.._). The L5 is an incredible guitar. Once the honeymoon is over with the GJS, I will go back to playing the L5's and I will wonder why I even own a GJS. Then I'll realize that I am a pig and everything will fall into place.
    So the bottom line is, you can't go wrong with either. But if Electric is your style, go L5. If Acoustic is your style go GJS/LeGrand/L7c.
    Hope that helped you.
    JD
    PS, get both..
    is it too soon to talk about selling it to me?

dibs!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Beautiful playing. I saw Don Arnone play My Romance in a club, and it didn't come anywhere near your rendition. You're even connecting chords like JS did! That might as well have been JS' D'A.
    What a clear, perfect sound. Glad you got your baby back.
    SG! Wow that was high praise. Not sure I deserve that, but i'll take it!
    Yes the sound really blows me away too. The down side is - because its so clear, with unusually great separation, you tend to listen to yourself when you play. Which you cant do when playing Johnny Arrangements. You cant think. You have to just play. Don't listen. Play..
    Thank You SG. I really appreciate that.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archie
    is it too soon to talk about selling it to me?
    dibs!
    Hahaa!! I let my son know. I wont sell it again in my lifetime. But he will reach out to you in about 40 years!
    JD

User Info Menu

Superb tone and playing! So great that you got it back.

User Info Menu

Bro don’t just use Titebond, glue in a toothpick into the stripped hole.

BTW- The new Sealfast tuners are the same design as old except that the tuner buttons can be removed.

Pics Added Gibson Johnny Smith - I got my baby back!!!-0127234c-ab28-4393-9576-784c202e55a4-jpgPics Added Gibson Johnny Smith - I got my baby back!!!-8aca0296-536e-4459-b3c2-3afe615c30d0-jpg

User Info Menu

2B! My man.
    Yeah this guitar is my sidekick.
    And Yes, I lost weight. Bigtime. From 244 down to 202. If I really tried, I could probably get down to about 180. But I am a LIVE to EAT person. I love food. So I dont have the discipline to get down that far.. I just cut alot of the junk. I run through my neighborhood and around the lake every day in the mornings. That gives me a license to still eat whatever I want, except for Donuts, Cake and Cannolis..
    Thank You Brother. I appreciate it.
    JD
    You’re setting the standard around here. I’m proud of you bro!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    Superb tone and playing! So great that you got it back.
    Thank you so much Bill. I am a lucky man!

User Info Menu

Bro don’t just use Titebond, glue in a toothpick into the stripped hole.
    BTW- The new Sealfast tuners are the same design as old except that the tuner buttons can be removed.
    Pics Added Gibson Johnny Smith - I got my baby back!!!-0127234c-ab28-4393-9576-784c202e55a4-jpgPics Added Gibson Johnny Smith - I got my baby back!!!-8aca0296-536e-4459-b3c2-3afe615c30d0-jpg
    Thanks bro.
    Actually I will do a hybrid of what you suggested. I will sand some wood and mix the dust with the glue. Squirt it in the hole. Then bore it out with a pin before it completely dries. I don’t want to drill.
    That guitar looks really nice bro.
    JD

User Info Menu

Been out, so late to the party, but I agree with the other opinions on the playing and tone.

As for the screw hole, a flat toothpick is absolutely the way to go. Not wood dust and glue. The end of a flat toothpick with a tiny dab of glue, and you're threading into new wood, far more secure than just glue and sawdust. If you don't trust me on this (and there's no reason at all that you should) then trust Frank Ford, who's forgotten more about guitar repair than I'll ever know.

User Info Menu

Yes, that is excellent advice derived from the old master.
    And probably the way I should do it. But..
    I am a meticulous, stubborn old bastard who thinks he can do it differently.
    All I want to do is strengthen the parameter of the hole that has widened over time.
    Franklin Titebond is stronger than the wood itself and creates a bond directly with the wood I will be recreating new threads into. I thought I’d using A little wood powder. Just to keep it “woody”, and once I thread the screws back in, I think the connection will be nice and hard and permanent.
    The one thing I know nothing about is the type of metal the bushing is made from vs. the type metal the string post is made from. There must be a way that I can lubricate that so doesn’t bind up so frequently. But if I get the screws firmly set then maybe it won’t be an issue.
    Thanks guys!
    Each and every one of you who came out in support of getting my baby back, made this whole process all the better for me. I get more enjoyment out making videos, taking pictures and writing stuff than anyone else.
    Thank you, thank you and thank you!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Well, it's your guitar, so fix it however you prefer. May it make wonderful music for many, many years.