The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 47

User Info Menu

This looks really interesting because it’s a Reverb-looper-massive effects and ambient pedal. It’s like Robert Fripp-in-a-Box Thinking about getting one for solo guitar performance. Tom Lippincott has one on his paddleboard.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

And like that! I'm gazing at muh shoes...

j/k! It looks like lots of fun.

User Info Menu

Okay flame away! I hate this kind of shit! It really isn’t about music as much as amateurs amusing themselves with how Cool they sound. Ambience is fine for a movie, but it ain’t music that stands on its own!

Okay flame away!

User Info Menu

It's a cool pedal. I like my Meris Mercury 7 more though.

User Info Menu

Not a pedal but me and my son been thinking about splitting this when it comes out:

I generally hate synth but that thing has some cool stuff happening that I think I could build a record around. Really neat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Tom Lippincott has one on his paddleboard.
    I wonder if he runs it wet or dry…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Okay flame away! I hate this kind of shit! It really isn’t about music as much as amateurs amusing themselves with how Cool they sound. Ambience is fine for a movie, but it ain’t music that stands on its own!

Okay flame away!
    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I wonder if he runs it wet or dry…
    oh stop barging in

User Info Menu

Just Waiting for that to sink in ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57

Okay flame away!
    ok, I’ll take the bait.

I think this is ambient music that stands on its own:

Last edited by Tricky Fish; 08-16-2023 at 07:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Sean Shibe uses the Microcosm on his arrangement of Hildegard von Bingen. He is the best classical guitarist of his generation so I think it's okay:

My friend Bernard Reeb composed a suite of 12 pieces for classical guitar and then created an ambient version of it. Just listen to the first Part of his Suite Lazuline and then to his reworking here: Lazuline | espaces sonores - it is there note for note.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    oh stop barging in
    I think the pedal has many applications. You can get a gig at a massage clinic or yoga studio for example.

Kidding aside I'm actually seriously considering buying one.

User Info Menu

Pretty exemplary, dare I say glowing review here. Only drawback: can’t buy on Sweetwater or Guitar Center

Hologram Electronics Microcosm review | Guitar World

User Info Menu

Pretty exemplary, dare I say glowing review here. Only drawback: can’t buy on Sweetwater or Guitar Center

Hologram Electronics Microcosm review | Guitar World
    You might want to give the Meris LVX a good look, it's basically all the Meris pedals minus the Mercury 7 and is along a similar line as that microcosm. It has a Polymoon in there which is an amazing instrument alone. Some of the stereo effects are mindblowing especially if you have a double amp rig. The Mercury 7 I mentioned is an instrument unto itself as well as being a really nice reverb, lol. All these pedals are all deep wells of music sounds that require a lot of time to explore thoroughly and you can find some amazing things, just remember to write your settings down.

User Info Menu

I love what I've heard out of this pedal. I've thought about getting one, but this Reddit thread has kept me from pulling the trigger. @NSJ, are you asking around on other forums to see how the pedal is holding up for people who gig with it?

User Info Menu

It has so many possible uses.

It has a learning curve, but it is an incremental thing. If you like sculpting sound, or layering several tracks together, this thing can create great background pads.

It isn't really a good looper and only has the most modest features. For example, it has no 'undo' feature, which is now common on many looper and is really handy.

I am happy with mine and use it to create subtle reverb tails that really sound great.

User Info Menu

I have the microcosm and the soma cosmos on my too buy soonish list…

I do not think any gear or any style is responsible when the music created is not of a deep nature.

I think that has to do with a number of factors. First the musician. 2nd their relationship and knowledge of the gear. 3rd who is the targeted audience and if the musician is deciding to stay conventional and that impacts their voice.

Just recently, I heard an well respected highly trained musician using a loop pedal, with what I felt was fairly horrendous results.

I think there is an tendency to get a new “toy” and feel excited. However, any piece of sophisticated gear take a good amount of time to really understand and use musically.

To my knowledge, anyone who can seriously and musically use a wha or volume pedal, has put some focused practice into it. I can not count the hours that I played 16th notes groups with different sweep patterns before the wha started to become organic. Included in my learning curve was listening to trumpet players who did the whole plunger/hat thing. It is just a mater of focus and applying methodological the basic elements of sound/music: amplitude, timbre, duration and pitch.

User Info Menu

So, I ordered the Microcosm pedal. Excuse my Luddite dumb questions-can you use it with a Wah pedal? Is a Wah now called an “expression pedal”? If so, what is the chain? Guitar—Wah-Microcosm-amp? or Guitar-Microcosm-Wah-amp? I have ideas ? I also want to use a glass slide, but I don’t need to, ahem, add that to the chain.

User Info Menu

So, I ordered the Microcosm pedal. Excuse my Luddite dumb questions-can you use it with a Wah pedal? Is a Wah now called an “expression pedal”? If so, what is the chain? Guitar—Wah-Microcosm-amp? or Guitar-Microcosm-Wah-amp? I have ideas ? I also want to use a glass slide, but I don’t need to, ahem, add that to the chain.
    The pedal has a jack labelled "Exp in". You map this to a function and then riding the expression pedal is like twisting the corresponding knob.

User Info Menu

I think having one of these types of pedals would be fun, but I definitely think that they are more fun to play than to listen to. DISCLAIMER: I stopped smoking weed a long time ago!

I have been wanting to try a looper though, I can see a lot of creative avenues with that. The washy thing is fine, I have a Keeley Halo that kind of does some of those sounds, but I don't find myself gravitating towards that in my own music too much. Maybe if I got one with more complexity I would feel different.

The other thing that bothers me is that you can be a pretty poor player and still sound good with these things. Very simple progressions suddenly sound fantastic.

I recently missed Schofield doing a solo looping tour, did anyone catch that? I would think he could do a lot with those.

User Info Menu

Cool. Wah generally goes first in the chain IME and I don't see why you couldn't use it with the microcosm but it may be less useful depending on the tones you are aiming for. You'll need a dedicated expression pedal if you want to control one of the parameters live in real time, that is a different thing altogether than a wah wah. Whatever you do don't look at mission engineering expression pedals you might want one of those too and they are expensive. I don't know if that pedal will also work with a preset switcher but that would also be extremely handy for accessing your favorite sounds. I can't imagine trying to gig without some level of preset access. Never mind now you need to wire a pedal board in stereo which is money. Expensive fun. Been there done that but it is a nice break from practice and songwriting. You gotta have fun now and again.

You gotta post some stuff up when you get that puppy dialed in.

User Info Menu

I think it’s kind of beautiful if you ask me.
    I’d love to play with one.
    JD

User Info Menu

An expression pedal is a special kind of pedal. It is not part of the audio chain, but provides a control signal to a second device (pedal). There are two types. One uses a simple variable resistance in the pedal and uses a 3 conductor TRS cable. The other type provides a 0-5 voltage output and uses a TS cable.

Several wah or volume pedals provides this as a secondary function. BOSS makes a EV-5 product that is a pure expression pedal.

As stated above, the Microcosm allows you to use an expression pedal to turn a control, with your foot, while playing.

Also there are devices like the Electro Harmonic 8-step pedal.
    These allows you to turn the knob on a pedal to the beat and can expand any pedal with an expression input into something that will sync knob
    twiddling to a midi clock.

User Info Menu

For me Ambient works better than Ambien.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    For me Ambient works better than Ambien.
    Twofer: an ambient version of Sleep Walk

User Info Menu

It doesn’t have to be sleepy dopey new age drivel. Use your imagination

Hologram Microcosm: Tunnel C Guitar Groove - YouTube