The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 81 of 81

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I don’t like the way Martin Retros sound for the first few days, but after that, I like them quite a lot. If it’s not too much trouble, I’d like to hear your experience.
    See vid for Jeff below. As I say, they're brand new but I can feel the warmth. I'm using my thumb so that helps too. I'm happy that they'll be absolutely fine.

Whether it'll improve my soloing remains to be seen :-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I feel that with time the strings get worn and the thin E and B start to intonate badly.
    So I bought a bunch of single E and B strings and change only those.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Oh cool. If you like them already I think they'll really grow on you once they settle in.

User Info Menu

yea... I think it also depends on how much, where and how hard you play. I play non stop gigs, I don't practice that much.
    Many of my gigs are like practice, But.

I've been using Thomastik Bebops 13... and generally use 22-24 on 3rd string for the last 10 or so years... I play too many notes both soloing and comping.... they ware out and intonation goes. If I don't change them every couple of weeks.... I'll blow up a string or two and need to change during breaks. It's generally just the wound strings and obviously only takes a few minutes... but It's just part of the cost of playing.

Disclaimer... I don't like the muffled sound and gets to muddy for my style of playing. But I hear and still love other guitars that sound great with old strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I’ve had the same flats on my P-bass since I got it decades ago. I only gig with it if a friend has an emergency or if somebody really cool asks, so it’s been a studio queen for most of its life with me. Back in the ‘90s, I played it for 2 shows with Sista Monica Parker (a wonderful and sadly deceased blues singer and composer) at what I think was her only weekend at Warmdaddy’s in Philly.
    Joe Osborne famed session bassist (deceased) played on the Simon and Garfunkle's Bridge over troubled water album also never changed his strings on his Fender Jazz bass. I once read that he would be severely depressed if he ever broke a string and had to replace them.