The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 69 of 69

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone;[URL="tel:1298709"
    1298709[/URL]]Addendum:
    The experience that most imprinted my memory (mental and physical) with ceteris parubus assumptions regarding amps and speakers is when I replaced the 12" JBL Lancings with EV Voice of the Theaters in my 60's Fender Twin Reverb in 1970. That added the weight of 2 Bud 10's.
    wow what did it end up weighing ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A '68 Twin Reverb with the JBL's is over 80lbs, and with EV SRO's over 100 lbs. The JBL's were about 12-13 lbs each. SRO's about 20 lbs each. It was brutal. I lived on the top floor of a 4 story brownstone skinny and tall building with a steep stairway. The Twin was a nightmare to carry.

I love the Henriksen Bud 10, and so does my back. It weighs what ONE of the EV SRO's did. 1/5th of that old Twin Reverb. That's quite astonishing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone;[URL="tel:1299048"
    1299048[/URL]]A '68 Twin Reverb with the JBL's is over 80lbs, and with EV SRO's over 100 lbs. The JBL's were about 12-13 lbs each. SRO's about 20 lbs each. It was brutal. I lived on the top floor of a 4 story brownstone skinny and tall building with a steep stairway. The Twin was a nightmare to carry.
    Impressed
    that is commitment !!

User Info Menu

I'll just leave this here

joelf Guest
    I plan to buy one b/c I expect to be busier in '24 and need something more versatile and portable (read: lighter) than what I currently have.

Only complaint: the price went up, not down. They're now around $1,100 new. Not the greatest marketing strategy. Henriksen could lose business...

User Info Menu

Will just comment that while I love the portability of my henriksens they can’t compare to my Carr amps or my vintage fenders in terms of tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    I plan to buy one b/c I expect to be busier in '24 and need something more versatile and portable (read: lighter) than what I currently have.

Only complaint: the price went up, not down. They're now around $1,100 new. Not the greatest marketing strategy. Henriksen could lose business...
    Since when do prices go down? (I've noticed that with some food products, rather than raise prices, they offer smaller portions.)

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    (I've noticed that with some food products, rather than raise prices, they offer smaller portions.)
    That's like the old Borscht Belt joke:

'The food here sucks'.

'Yeah---and such small portions!'...

User Info Menu

For small and light, it's hard to beat a Quilter Soundblock US and a Toob Metro. I think it's also hard to beat the sound. You can buy both, delivered to your door, for under $600US. If you prefer a combo, I think it's hard to beat a DV Mark Little Jazz for the price. It might not be quite the same sound, but the price is ~1/4 that of the Henriksen. Henriksen makes a fine amp, no doubt, but I'm not sure it gives the best bang for the buck. It should be noted, however, that one drawback of the two options I mentioned is that they are both single channel amps, so no mic input, if that's a necessity. There are devices that can get around that, however.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    For small and light, it's hard to beat a Quilter Soundblock US and a Toob Metro. I think it's also hard to beat the sound. ...
    I think the Henriksen and the Quilter have different tonal aims. The Henriksen's sonic goal seems to be high-fidelity amplification, like a good PA or stereo; while the Quilter's goal is to sound like 1950s-era Fender tube amps, more or less. A musician can prefer one of those to the other, of course, but they're not really comparable.

Oh, what the heck and financial prudence be damned, just buy both. Right, that's the ticket.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    a Toob Metro. I think it's also hard to beat the sound.
    Disagree, sorry. I had a Toob, and it didn't work out at all. Muddy sound. Yeah, it's portable but if it doesn't sound the way I need it to why bother?

I cut my losses and sold it to a music store for probably half of what I paid for it.

Cool if it works for you, though. Different strokes...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    A '68 Twin Reverb with the JBL's is over 80lbs, and with EV SRO's over 100 lbs. The JBL's were about 12-13 lbs each. SRO's about 20 lbs each. It was brutal...
    Yup, I had a '68 Twin Reverb with SRO's back in the day. I would get blood blisters on my hand from trying to carry it by the handle! Sounded great, but ...!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf;[URL="tel:1299234"
    1299234[/URL]]Disagree, sorry. I had a Toob, and it didn't work out at all. Muddy sound. Yeah, it's portable but if it doesn't sound the way I need it to why bother?

I cut my losses and sold it to a music store for probably half of what I paid for it.

Cool if it works for you, though. Different strokes...
    interesting , mine is not muddy
    (with a TC Bam200 amp)

what amp we’re you using
    Joel ?
    Last edited by pingu; 11-20-2023 at 09:54 AM.

User Info Menu

Muddy is not a word I would use to describe the Toob Metro. But gear choice is a very subjective thing, so use whatever you prefer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Impressed - that is commitment !!
    I think psychiatrists have another word for it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Will just comment that while I love the portability of my henriksens they can’t compare to my Carr amps or my vintage fenders in terms of tone.
    That's true. My Twin Reverb left many years ago, and like being in an abusive relationship, and with some love/hate going on, I still miss it and always will love that sound! I love the new Bud 10, and the DR, Verbrovibe, and Sequel Skoter are staying. Everything else is now going. That includes a polytone minibrute 4, henriksen 312, hotrod deluxe, motion sound, and vintage Champ. Also, my dear dog hates the vintage tube amps especially, and flees the scene whenever I turn them on. Something about them, like the purring of a large mountain lion, or the drone of frequencies that are emitted while resting or being flipped on from standby that freaks him out. He runs for the bedroom and crawls under the bed.The new Bud 10 he sits right down in front of me and enjoys it. No hissing that I can't hear but he can, or popping. Just clean, fun guitar sounds. He votes Bud 10!

User Info Menu

As I mentioned before I'm not using my '67 Twin w Jensens as much these days but I gigged that amp almost exclusively for 30 yrs and nothing I ever played comes close except the '66 Vibrolux Reveb w Jensens I'm using again. I like the hair the Lux gives when needed too. I have zero interest in anything else and will go to my grave playing these old heavy Fender tube amps. There's just nothing like them. They're only heavy for the 2 seconds they take to load on my cart, no big deal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    That's true. My Twin Reverb left many years ago, and like being in an abusive relationship, and with some love/hate going on, I still miss it and always will love that sound! I love the new Bud 10, and the DR, Verbrovibe, and Sequel Skoter are staying. Everything else is now going. That includes a polytone minibrute 4, henriksen 312, hotrod deluxe, motion sound, and vintage Champ. Also, my dear dog hates the vintage tube amps especially, and flees the scene whenever I turn them on. Something about them, like the purring of a large mountain lion, or the drone of frequencies that are emitted while resting or being flipped on from standby that freaks him out. He runs for the bedroom and crawls under the bed.The new Bud 10 he sits right down in front of me and enjoys it. No hissing that I can't hear but he can, or popping. Just clean, fun guitar sounds. He votes Bud 10!
    haaa, cool. yes, the bud ten, i own the 6, 10, forte. i use the 10 the least believe it or not. well the other day i busted it out and holy s*it what am i thinking time to use this more..using it on gig on tuesday forsure. i love the bud 6 for grab and go. I for some reason been sleeping on the 10. And the forte i grab for my trio gigs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    As I mentioned before I'm not using my '67 Twin w Jensens as much these days but I gigged that amp almost exclusively for 30 yrs and nothing I ever played comes close except the '66 Vibrolux Reveb w Jensens I'm using again. I like the hair the Lux gives when needed too. I have zero interest in anything else and will go to my grave playing these old heavy Fender tube amps. There's just nothing like them. They're only heavy for the 2 seconds they take to load on my cart, no big deal.
    And that's kind of the point of the TOOB Metro. I applaud you being able to put an 80lb amp in a cart in 2 seconds, but taking that cart up and down NYC Metro stairs with a guitar on my back is something I don't ever want to do. If you travel to a gig in a car, it's a completely different situation. It was hard enough for me schlepping a double bass through the transit system.

The TOOB Metro was designed (and named) pretty much for players who need to use public transport. I have not used mine (yet) at a gig, but I have heard Greg Ruggiero (whose idea the 6.5" TOOB was, IIRC) play through one with drums/bass/sax/vocalist, and it was far from muddy. It was what decided me to get one. Full disclosure: I also am a big fan of my Bud 6 (2nd gen).

And as for the yiddish jokes,

"How much costs a bagel?"
    "Costs a bagel ten cents."
    "Across the street, they're a nickel."
    "So buy across the street."
    "He doesn't have any more."
    "If I didn't have any more, I'd sell them for a nickel, too."
    Last edited by Ukena; 11-20-2023 at 02:26 PM.