The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 76

User Info Menu

Here's a Peach Guitars YouTube video featuring the reissued Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent. I wonder what it sounds like without the foam pad between the bridge and the top of the guitar?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

^

User Info Menu

It certainly looks the part, but don’t you think it sounds quite thin and stiff in that video? (despite that the guy demoing it can play).

User Info Menu

Oh my. This is too cool. If this guitar was available when I bought my Broadway, I would have bought it instead. Sadly, I don't get along with 17" archtops.... It would be cool if the NY pickups were authentic recreations, but I know that's too much to ask. They even got the old carousel knobs! When I had my broadway, those became available on the aftermarket, and I put some on it.

It's a shame they didn't go with the {COOL} original selector switch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cmajor9 View Post
    It certainly looks the part, but don’t you think it sounds quite thin and stiff in that video? (despite that the guy demoing it can play).
    Those were bright, very clear pickups back in the day... and they were single coils. (again, no clue what the reissues actually are):

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cmajor9 View Post
    It sounds pretty bright, but they are mini humbuckers after all, and it looks like he has the tone up all the way. It also sounds like the guitar could be set up better, likely needing a light fret dressing also. It sounds to me like there are some areas of light fret buzzing occurring in the Peach demo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

It doesn’t appear to have the nice arched top like the original.
    The top looks dead flat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    The top looks dead flat.
    I couldn’t tell if it was the picture I was looking at or of it’s just flat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    I couldn’t tell if it was the picture I was looking at or of it’s just flat.
    That Peach video it looks dead flat with no recurve.

User Info Menu

That Peach video it looks dead flat with no recurve.
    So, like those really bad sounding acoustic archtops (w/ piezo bridge) Epiphone reissued a few years ago? Those were "archtops" in name only, too, the tops were almost flat. Maybe from the same factory?

User Info Menu

Weren't classic Epi's always on the bright side, due to their thinner tops ??

User Info Menu

I like the tuners. The finish is almost orange. Original Deluxe models didn't have this dark of a finish. It would have looked more like the original with the Frequensator tailpiece. The pickups look funny without the pole pieces as on the original Tone Spectrum pickups. Clear round plastic tone controls would have been cool instead of the white plastic ones. So much for originality. I'm glad to see Epiphone is making archtops again but it seems like just an impression of a vintage model, not an attempt to replicate it.
    Last edited by zephyrregent; 07-19-2023 at 09:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Sounds awful to my ears. I’ll pass.

User Info Menu

The top looks dead flat.
    Oh man... I missed that. Not that I was going to buy one, but I definitely wouldn't be buying one now. Strange they would do that, with the Broadway currently in production (or perhaps just out of production?) All they had to do was make a Broadway with different pickups and knobs, basically.

User Info Menu

I guess the originals have their following but while the actual guitars seem fine I always felt the pickups were substandard so I've avoided electric Epiphones over the years. I think Duke Robillard uses them but swaps out the pickups.

User Info Menu

My my, are we finicky! The guitar sounds similar to the 50s originals to me. Roundwounds, and what do we know of the amp, speaker and settings?

"No recurve" - show me a non-hand carved guitar that has it. The tops of the '50s versions on videos look flat with a pressed bubble in the middle.

We know that Epiphone has been capable of producing excellent - for the price and in absolute - laminated archtops in Asia. Why they didn't go straight to a 175 reissue beats me. Perhaps the new Broadway and this Zephyr are just testing the waters in anticipation of the 2K+/- sticker shock that comes with the new 175. But if the product is right, the price is ok.

User Info Menu

Looks wise I’m starting to GAS for Epi’s more than Gibbos these days. They look bloody lovely. Tonally, I’d have to try one.

User Info Menu

Zephyr DeLuxe Regent

Epiphone Reissues the Zephyr Deluxe Regent-eodrcblbnh3_side-png

Broadway
    Epiphone Reissues the Zephyr Deluxe Regent-eobdwwrgh1_side-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzshrink View Post
    Zephyr DeLuxe Regent

Epiphone Reissues the Zephyr Deluxe Regent-eodrcblbnh3_side-png

Broadway
    Epiphone Reissues the Zephyr Deluxe Regent-eobdwwrgh1_side-png
    now do an L5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    I guess the originals have their following but while the actual guitars seem fine I always felt the pickups were substandard so I've avoided electric Epiphones over the years. I think Duke Robillard uses them but swaps out the pickups.
    I saw Duke last year, he played an Epiphone Les Paul.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug View Post
    My my, are we finicky! The guitar sounds similar to the 50s originals to me. Roundwounds, and what do we know of the amp, speaker and settings?

"No recurve" - show me a non-hand carved guitar that has it. The tops of the '50s versions on videos look flat with a pressed bubble in the middle.

We know that Epiphone has been capable of producing excellent - for the price and in absolute - laminated archtops in Asia. Why they didn't go straight to a 175 reissue beats me. Perhaps the new Broadway and this Zephyr are just testing the waters in anticipation of the 2K+/- sticker shock that comes with the new 175. But if the product is right, the price is ok.
    I like the pressed bubble look I am sure it’s worth the $1300 price. CTS pots and Switchcraft jack and toggle is a positive upgrade.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    now do an L5
    Okay. Not sure how this helps.

Epiphone Reissues the Zephyr Deluxe Regent-l5-s1-carrying-weight-1-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzshrink View Post
    Okay. Not sure how this helps.

Epiphone Reissues the Zephyr Deluxe Regent-l5-s1-carrying-weight-1-jpeg

User Info Menu

I ordered one today. I am an absolute sucker for throwbacks. I didn’t live through the 40’s and 50’s, but I’d gladly swap them for today’s society!

User Info Menu

Epiphone Reissues the Zephyr Deluxe Regent-b4301aea-ad2b-498d-a115-e0aa983c22b5-jpg

Only marginally related but here’s my Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe. It used to belong to tk smith (he did the mod). Long story short I’m with all the Epiphone lovers. And yes I’m in favor of swapping the pickups. The aesthetics are unique and beautiful. I really wish Gibson chose to let Epiphone keep identity and heritage as a high end guitar brand rather than just making it the discount brand of its product. Imagine seeing more guitars as beautiful as this being built today.