The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 166
    The MASTER

The next Campellone batch begins-img_0363-jpegThe next Campellone batch begins-img_0364-jpegThe next Campellone batch begins-img_0366-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Vin, Dark Cherry Sunburst.
    That’s the color. Look no further.
    Oh my God that is beautiful.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I've seen so many of Mark's finishes but that's easily my favorite, looks like a late 50s Gibson sunburst
    Nice one Keith!
    Winter: I wanted a guitar that was like an early Johnny Smith, with all the same dimensions/scalethat Johnny specified for the design. It seemed logical to go for Mark’s “traditional sunburst” for this guitar.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    The MASTER

The next Campellone batch begins-img_0363-jpegThe next Campellone batch begins-img_0364-jpegThe next Campellone batch begins-img_0366-jpeg
    IMO, Mark's Blue Guitar from the Chinery collection is one of the most beautiful guitars ever made. Scott gave 20 luthiers free rein to do their best. Mark hit the ball out of the park.

Rims completed

The next Campellone batch begins-25823cdc-0e48-4874-aab1-075aae4a94ef-jpegThe next Campellone batch begins-8f66805a-e544-4825-b158-5525d73a4556-jpeg

Another set of jazz boxes and the Cameo with “The Hump”.

The next Campellone batch begins-87f2b82f-9a5e-4f7a-ab8b-bafa73234eed-jpegThe next Campellone batch begins-10ef74f3-d715-4f1b-800f-3e97337a27d3-jpeg

User Info Menu

I love these MC build threads. So exciting, even if I'm not on the build list. Hey, someone wanted to see a Blonde. Here's mine, naturally aged (I swear).
    The next Campellone batch begins-mc4a-jpg

and when new........
    The next Campellone batch begins-mc_new-jpg

Greg

Binding work. Note how the cutaway binding is done.

The next Campellone batch begins-c9d4df2b-074e-4ead-a5aa-fa7dfb4577e7-jpegThe next Campellone batch begins-6e86fda4-d0ab-49ad-b4b3-390773219c98-jpegThe next Campellone batch begins-9b204168-f1cc-4ba8-9bd8-6ad2114bcf05-jpegThe next Campellone batch begins-8da2035e-58c4-4937-b108-f1397be6045d-jpegThe next Campellone batch begins-c265de59-a404-4de4-8a17-1047b26dae07-jpeg

User Info Menu

The next Campellone batch begins-img_3225-jpg
    We thought we would give this place a try!

I would love to see a movie made on Mark building a guitar like that movie made of Jimmy D’Aquisto building his New Yorker.

Would be great entertainment for us archtop geeks

Body binding begins

The next Campellone batch begins-img_0368-jpeg

Binding the Cameo hump.

The next Campellone batch begins-img_0369-jpegThe next Campellone batch begins-img_0370-jpegThe next Campellone batch begins-img_0371-jpegThe next Campellone batch begins-img_0372-jpeg

User Info Menu

Humptastic! I’m so pleased to see Marks template being put to use.

User Info Menu

God bless, that's a lot of work. Mark gets those mitre joints so damn clean. I'm impressed..... every...... time!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I would love to see a movie made on Mark building a guitar like that movie made of Jimmy D’Aquisto building his New Yorker.

Would be great entertainment for us archtop geeks
    Mark, if you’re listening, do this before you retire. Your Craftsmanship deserves to be documented, and live forever!

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Mark, if you’re listening, do this before you retire. Your Craftsmanship deserves to be documented, and live forever!
    +1 on that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    IMO, Mark's Blue Guitar from the Chinery collection is one of the most beautiful guitars ever made. Scott gave 20 luthiers free rein to do their best. Mark hit the ball out of the park.
    Is it just me, or akin to closing your eyes, as you move to the rhythm of calm blue waves near the tranquil waters of the Florida keys.

There’s the cool ocean breeze, the warm sand, the relaxing water, and before you know it you’re adrift. Minutes later, opening your eyes, you realize - Oh, it was the guitar!

Dreamsville Mark, pure dreamsville.

User Info Menu

Is it just me, or akin to closing your eyes, as you move to the rhythm of calm blue waves near the tranquil waters of the Florida keys.

There’s the cool ocean breeze, the warm sand, the relaxing water, and before you know it you’re adrift. Minutes later, opening your eyes, you realize - Oh, it was the guitar!

For me it conjures up the tidepools at Partington Cove in Big Sur. Lots of Abalone in those Monterey County waters as well.

I am not sure that I have ever seen a more beautiful guitar. I am on Mark's list and plan on having him build me a 17 inch version of that guitar.

User Info Menu

All this talk about running water makes me have to pee..
    No, you guys are right. The Blue Guitar is a work of art. When you get yours SS, I cant wait to hear you play it.
    I watch Ted Ludwig play this one and all the others from time to time. His review of the Blue Guitar is enough to make you start salivating.

Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    All this talk about running water makes me have to pee..
    No, you guys are right. The Blue Guitar is a work of art. When you get yours SS, I cant wait to hear you play it.
    I watch Ted Ludwig play this one and all the others from time to time. His review of the Blue Guitar is enough to make you start salivating.

Joe D
    Needs a 5J or BJB.

User Info Menu

Interesting to note the on this Chinery blue Special, it seems the color has changed a little from when it was new - I took the below photos when the guitar was first completed, and you can see that the lighter areas of the burst were originally a very pale blue - with the lacquer having yellowed over time, those areas look more green in the more recent photos.

The next Campellone batch begins-img_8354_1-jpg

User Info Menu

It would be nice to be able do at some point, if I could find someone to do it - if it doesn't happen, at least a lot of my stuff is documented right on this forum, thankfully.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone
    It would be nice to be able do at some point, if I could find someone to do it - if it doesn't happen, at least a lot of my stuff is documented right on this forum, thankfully.
    You owe it to yourself after all those nights passing out in a pile of quilted maple wood chips on your shop floor only to wake up the next day and do it again. Even someone with an i-phone and some good editing skills would suffice. When you look at some of the old documentaries using VHS camcorders I don't think it needs to be a hollywood production to be acceptable to people.

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    You owe it to yourself after all those nights passing out in a pile of quilted maple wood chips on your shop floor only to wake up the next day and do it again. Even someone with an i-phone and some good editing skills would suffice. When you look at some of the old documentaries using VHS camcorders I don't think it needs to be a hollywood production to be acceptable to people.
    Trust me there is no wood chips on the floor at the end of the day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone
    Interesting to note the on this Chinery blue Special, it seems the color has changed a little from when it was new - I took the below photos when the guitar was first completed, and you can see that the lighter areas of the burst were originally a very pale blue - with the lacquer having yellowed over time, those areas look more green in the more recent photos.

The next Campellone batch begins-img_8354_1-jpg
    Bill Hollenbeck's is completely green at this point. I remember he was not fond of the lacquer that mix that was used. He spent a lot time getting blue at least a first.