The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29
    Im looking for an overdrive pedal that achieves a modern jazz guitar tone that i encounter often with slight gritty tone often with a delay that sounds so nice when playing single note jazz lines, but my distortion DS-1 from Boss has way too much high gain and treble for a jazz tone, and i would like to hear if there is any overdrive with lower gain options or just overdrives that work for this specific type of sound? Is a tube screamer for example a good option? Also, i don't have that much to spent so if you could recommend some under 250 dollars that would be great

Here is a video with an example of the kind of slightly overdriven tone that i would like to have in my pantry

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Kurt has used, almost exclusively, an 80s RAT or a modern variation of that. If you want his overdriven sound, that's the pedal to get!

User Info Menu

I love the 00’s Kurt tone.

FWIW I use a J Rockett Dude (recommended by ruger 9) and it sounds like this

Why do we do this????? - YouTube

you can mix the drive sound with the clean which is great for getting jazz friendly tones. (It also does Robben Ford apparently.) i think it’s a Dumble inspired vibe.

What are some examples of modern versions of that 80's rat pedal?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JonasPaulsen
    What are some examples of modern versions of that 80's rat pedal?
    umm

tbh just buy a new rat. They’re dead cheap. If you get on with the basic sound you can get more cork sniffy about it.

It works for Kurt but it may not work for you…

User Info Menu

My bluetooth is jacked up at the moment so I can get a good fix on the vid through a decent set of speakers. Based on your description I would recommend having a look at a J. Rockett Blue Note. It has an exceptional range of lower gain tones available and is well within your budget. I would recommend the original blue version, not the "tour" model. It has a hot switch in case you want more gain and a mid bump. The tour version doesn't have that. Works especially well if you get a little grit from your amp and then dial in the pedal exactly to your tastes. Been using it for about 8 years on and off with my Twin depending on my needs. Lately been using it just about every gig. Even had two of them for a while. Shouldn't have sold the other one.

What would the primary difference between a JRAD Blue note and JRAD The dude be?

User Info Menu

If your amp has more than one channel (e.g. clean and overdrive) you could also get a cheap used channel switch pedal in case you did not buy one with the amp (amp needs to feature a footswitch input mostly fund on the back).

And as a general rule no matter what distortion/overdrive/etc. pedal you are using I would experiment a lot with drive and tone settings if you do not want to sound like a garage punk band.

EDIT: My best drive pedal BTW is one by Monacor (house brand of Conrad Electronik which is like a German version of Radioshack) with a plastic casing. It sounds best if you use a half-full 9V block. I used to work sometimes for a renting company that provided PA and lighting stuff for conferences. I always asked them for the used 9V batteries from their wireless mics (which were changed often in order to not risk a failure) for my guitar pedals.

Unfortunately I once lost my original 70ies TS808 while running for a bus. I had bought it rather cheap from a retired 75 year old retired studio musician.

User Info Menu

All the advice given above is great, but if you really want that sound, that's a RAT - not any other pedal.

Kurt has used a few modern variations like these ones

Rattler - JAM pedals

Shrew | BLAMMO! Electronics

Never tried neither, but a RAT is fairly easy to clone I guess. The Mooer Black Secret for cheap should sound great too.

A few more options

http://www.pedalhaven.com/the-best-rat-clones/

User Info Menu

What would the primary difference between a JRAD Blue note and JRAD The dude be?
    I think Ruger 9 has a bunch of JRAD stuff. He's mentioned the Blue Note and others before so he might be the guy to answer that. I believe that the JRAD Animal is a Blue Note with more gain.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I love the 00’s Kurt tone.

FWIW I use a J Rockett Dude (recommended by ruger 9) and it sounds like this

you can mix the drive sound with the clean which is great for getting jazz friendly tones. (It also does Robben Ford apparently.) i think it’s a Dumble inspired vibe.
    That clip sounds great. Is it into a clean Fender amp? Which one? Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    That clip sounds great. Is it into a clean Fender amp? Which one? Thanks.
    yes a fender Princeton reverb. Pedal sounds much the same through a Hot Rod.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    yes a fender Princeton reverb. Pedal sounds much the same through a Hot Rod.
    Thanks! Not easy to find an OD that sounds good trough a Fender clean.

User Info Menu

The Lazy j Cruiser is a flexible overdrive and boost designed for Fender tweed amps but it’s not a cheap pedal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Yas, Christian, you defo need to post more of that stuff! Woohoo!

User Info Menu

Personally, I prefer a more Dumble pedal type sound.

I'd try the very inexpensive Rowin Dumbler to see if you like the sound too.

$35 on Amazon, even cheaper at other places.

Amazon.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    Personally, I prefer a more Dumble pedal type sound. I'd try the very inexpensive Rowin Dumbler to see if you like the sound too.
    I bought one 4 years ago and it’s really an excellent effect. The lower gain range is smooth, and the tone / voice pots have a wide range of adjustment. But you have to dial in the sound you like for each guitar & amp pair you use. It’s not set & forget, and it makes gigging a lot easier if you write down what works best for each of your instruments.

It doesn’t do the Dumble “chime”, but that’d be asking a lot for under $50. I keep mine as a spare - it’s the only D-style pedal that’s survived that long in my gig bag. I truly love the Vertex Steel String Singer Supreme SRV that I got several weeks ago ($250) and I think it’s a permanent addition to my gear. It’s got the chime, the bloom, and the build quality to go the distance. But the Dumbler is definitely good enough to gig with and an unbelievable bargain.

I’ve also tried the Nux Steel Singer pedals at GC and liked them. The two versions I tried were clean and smooth, with some of the D-style sparkle. But I though the Rowin Dumbler had a little more body to the sound.

User Info Menu

Jack Zucker with his Zendrive 2 pedal sounds great to my ears.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    My bluetooth is jacked up at the moment so I can get a good fix on the vid through a decent set of speakers. Based on your description I would recommend having a look at a J. Rockett Blue Note. It has an exceptional range of lower gain tones available and is well within your budget. I would recommend the original blue version, not the "tour" model. It has a hot switch in case you want more gain and a mid bump. The tour version doesn't have that. Works especially well if you get a little grit from your amp and then dial in the pedal exactly to your tastes. Been using it for about 8 years on and off with my Twin depending on my needs. Lately been using it just about every gig. Even had two of them for a while. Shouldn't have sold the other one.
    Not sure it’s the Rosenwinkel vibe exactly but I’ve been using the Blue Note for ten years. That’s an incredible pedal. Also super versatile. I use it without the hot switch just as a boost for a clean sound and the hot switch definitely gives it something in the ballpark of that Rosenwinkel-Monder modern vibe.

(Used it with a thin but fully hollow 15” archtop, and now with my T-style … several different solid state amps. Always good.)

EDIT: Actually, I had to play the guitar part on Maria Schneider’s “Wyrgly” recently, which is Ben Monder going all out Metal-Space-Monder and it worked great.

User Info Menu

Im looking for an overdrive pedal that achieves a modern jazz guitar tone that i encounter often with slight gritty tone often with a delay that sounds so nice when playing single note jazz lines, but my distortion DS-1 from Boss has way too much high gain and treble for a jazz tone, and i would like to hear if there is any overdrive with lower gain options or just overdrives that work for this specific type of sound? Is a tube screamer for example a good option? Also, i don't have that much to spent so if you could recommend some under 250 dollars that would be great

Here is a video with an example of the kind of slightly overdriven tone that i would like to have in my pantry

MY GOODNESS the man was on absolute fire

User Info Menu

The Rat pedal is a fuzz.

I have a handful of Rat clones.

VFE Alpha Dog is by far the best Rat Type pedal that I have come across.

That pedal is no longer made.

The Wampler rat pedal is fine but I never really fully loved it.

I do not think the Pigtronix Disnortion is a Rat, but it works really well.

I wonder if Keley is still doing the mods?

Fuzz is a very amp, guitar and setting dependent type of pedal. However I do think that a Rat pedal is less so then other fuzz type pedals. However the amp and how it is set is going to have a significant impact. Rat into amp X = excellent. Rat into amp y = no.

User Info Menu

Kurt's tone is great, and so is this. Plus, you're a tad more likely to get feedback and tips from the other guy here At the risk of reiterating, Christian's short clip was a great surprise.

That said, there are probably many options for getting in the ballpark, ie any pedal that allows lower gain settings with a wide tone control. That and a neck humbucker.

User Info Menu

I have both a Rat and an original Zendrive, they are totally different in sound however. The Rat pedal has 4 variations/different versions if i remember correctly, so some are better than others for specific sounds. Generally this type of sound is a distortion with the guitar volume low, so it softens up a lot.

User Info Menu

One of the best Dumble style pedals I ever used is the One Control Golden Acorn. When I wanted a Robben Ford tone it is what I used.

Now I stack a couple of pedals , both on very low gain settings. Typically a Klon into a Modified Tube Screamer. I can then use either or both .

Here is very good Klon Clone. It cleans up very well too.

I tried the mini pedals like the Wampler Tumnus, good pedal but could not read the knob setting and my big feet kept stepping all over it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    I have both a Rat and an original Zendrive, they are totally different in sound however. The Rat pedal has 4 variations/different versions if i remember correctly, so some are better than others for specific sounds. Generally this type of sound is a distortion with the guitar volume low, so it softens up a lot.
    Often the different variations are well know mods that have worked for people. I use to have the knowledge of what precisely they are, but I have forgotten that. I just flip the switches.