The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 64
    Update: SweetWater is giving me a return label AND giving me a Heritage Eagle for the same price as the H-575. Couldn’t be more pleased with this outcome. Thanks to everyone in this thread for the advice.

I just bought a brand new H-575 from Sweetwater. Was super excited to get it, but I noticed that the fretboard seems to have been broken at one and and still attached anyway… or that’s what it looks like to me anyway. Like, a chunk of the underside of the fretboard was gone and it was just filled with lacquer.

It plays great, sounds great, but all I see when I look down at the fretboard is the issue.

am I being too critical?

Heritage H-575 - wonky fretboard… bummed— Resolved!-img_2558-jpgHeritage H-575 - wonky fretboard… bummed— Resolved!-img_2557-jpgHeritage H-575 - wonky fretboard… bummed— Resolved!-img_2558-jpgHeritage H-575 - wonky fretboard… bummed— Resolved!-img_2557-jpg
    Last edited by jeremiahzellers; 07-19-2023 at 02:49 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For a guitar in that price range, I would expect no such issues.

Tony

That whole bottom section of the fretboard dips in. Like… you can touch the fretboard and it’s a small empty cavity.

User Info Menu

I ain't a picky guy. I generally don't care about cosmetics if the guitar plays good but that's bullshit on a guitar costing that kind of money. I'd send that thing right back and complain and maybe get a discount on the replacement for your troubles. Totally unacceptable. So much for the 55 point inspection. Cheap talk.....

User Info Menu

I have owned three Heritage guitars .They all had issues. Do not buy one unless you have seen it first! Sweetwater has been very good in transactions I have had with them.... mickmac

Quote Originally Posted by mickmac
    I have owned three Heritage guitars .They all had issues. Do not buy one unless you have seen it first! Sweetwater has been very good in transactions I have had with them.... mickmac
    Yeah…. I thought for $4500 I would be good to buy unseen (there are none near me).. but I guess that’s not correct.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiahzellers
    Yeah…. I thought for $4500 I would be good to buy unseen (there are none near me).. but I guess that’s not correct.
    It doesn't seem like there are many companies left where you can buy sight unseen and not wind up with cosmetic or performance issues these days. A 575 custom with ebony and gold hardware is a dream axe of mine, I just can't afford one, even used. I hope you get it squared away. Sweetwater does have pretty good service but again, where was the 55 point inspection? I would want a discount and some extra bit o' honey's or I'd threaten to switch to musician's friend, lol.

User Info Menu

I agree with the other responses - no way is that acceptable and you are definitely not being too critical. I'd call Sweetwater and ask for a refund and start over.

User Info Menu

The action to take is clear: Return it and demand a discount on another one if you want it. I own two Heritage guitars, both very well made and sound great. Don't settle for less.

User Info Menu

As a fan and owner of many Heritage guitars over the years, I agree with others here. Contact your Sweetwater sales rep and send the 575 back.
    I've never seen an issue like the one shown in the images. Heritage should know better.

User Info Menu

I think its a "sign of the times". Im a retired cabinetmaker, there doesnt seem to be much interest in skilled labor anymore. That said I have 4 pre '02 Heritage archtops that I would compare to any guitar for fit and finish (sound and playability being personal preference) which I would expect from the Gibson old guard. Both companies let their top guys go for solid business reasons but this is the inevitable outcome when you try to make fine instruments by machine only. I might point out there are a number of nice preowned 575's which even have the nice tailpiece available for far less than a new one and for sure excellent build quality. I hope Sweetwater steps up for you, please follow up here and let us know how it went.

Sweetwater offered:

• Exchange for same guitar (back ordered)
    • Exchange for new guitar of different make/model
    • accept 5% refund and keep guitar

should have just bought a Campellone….

User Info Menu

they won't just do a straight refund?

That option was not presented…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiahzellers
    That option was not presented…
    But did you ask? Also, have you read Sweetwater's return policies? I encourage you to do so. Then, call your sales representative and insist that they adhere to the terms of the sales contract. Did you pay with a credit card? If so, then there's another avenue to explore if you don't find satisfaction with Sweetwater.

User Info Menu

"No Hassle" Return Policy:

We want you to be completely happy with your purchase. If you are not satisfied with any new product, for any reason, you may return it for a refund of the purchase price or an in-house credit, or you may exchange for another product within a fair amount of time from the shipping date (usually 30 days). If your purchase was eligible for free shipping, the shipping cost will be deducted from your credit or refund.

User Info Menu

Talk to your "sales engineer" and insist on a complete refund and let him know your discussing it here.

User Info Menu

Sweetwater is a good outfit. You will get a refund. Big bummer though.
    Sorry, nothing worse then buying a brand new turd.

User Info Menu

If the guitar played well i might keep it but not for a measly 5 percent off,it would have to be 10 to 15 percent.Returning guitars is such a hassle.Sorry you had this happen to you.

User Info Menu

They won't offer a straight refund? I'd at least ask.

Otherwise, I'd be calling my credit card company and fixing all that because Sweetwater essentially is screwing you.

Is it possible, I wonder, that someone else ordered it, noticed the flaw, sent it back and you were the next guy they hoped to pawn off the problem onto since they are now "backordered" immediately after your received your order? Or do they send them back to Heritage to be fixed? I'm really doubting that.

User Info Menu

And 5% is a slap in the face tbh. I don't think I'd keep it for 20% back. You couldn't move the guitar for 3500 bucks "used" if you were honest and detailed about the cosmetic flaw. How serious does a flaw have to be for them to actually own it? 55 point inspection, the honorable Ray Charles presiding....

User Info Menu

I know Thomann in Europe honors their returning policy, as I know people that have returned very expensive instruments simply for not liking them. So let's wait and see about Sweetwater here..

User Info Menu

There are structural reasons at play here. You paid good money for a good guitar. The reason for return can conceivably be "I didn't like the way if felt" and it would qualify for a full refund from all of their competitors, and they certainly don't want to appear inferior to ...Guitar Center?... so you are well within your rights to be disappointed over something they are at fault for. They sold you a lemon. You can get every penny back.
    I'd venture to guess that the full refund is not profitable for them so it's not their first suggestion; that's the accountant in them. Talk to them, and remind them that their reputation is worth WAY more than this sale's bottom line. Remind them that their perception of being a reliable seller in an unreliable world is why you bought from them in the first place. Remind them there are many more like you who are watching and waiting for them to do the right thing. Appeal to their name and not the accountant.
    Finally, if they don't instantly come up with an instant refund, write a letter to the president of the company stating the things we've all shared here on the forum: We all assumed you were a safe place to buy from because there are places that do the right thing and they deserve our business. Do the right thing.

First rule of a successful retail store: You're not just selling a product, you're selling your reputation.

They'll take it back. I'm sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    They won't offer a straight refund? I'd at least ask.

Especially since they can send it back to Heritage and it's within THEIR right to get all their money back. Let the party responsible act responsibly. And what kind of QC do they have there? I worked repairs/QC for Ibanez and they had factories in Slavecamp, Indonesia that made guitars that were SUPPOSED to be cheap and if this ever came across the bench with something as egregious as this, it's yanked and marked for parts immediately.
    Sure Sweetwater doesn't want this dog back, and neither does Heritage. Boo hoo. It's their problem, they have the means to deal with it. Yeah.

User Info Menu

Luthier's perspective. Good straight unwarped and properly dried ebony is hard to find. As we say "Wood like that doesn't just grow on trees". There are uneven edges at the outside of any piece of cut wood. You wait until the wood is stable (drying for a long time) and you look at the warps or twists that may have presented and you plane and join and cut it until anything that's not a perfect piece has been removed.
    In cost conscious companies, they cut as close to the "perfect" dimension as they can, and save on wasted wood that's cut away in the trimming. That means there's less leeway when there IS an issue. And presented with something that's functionally stable, or the choice of tossing the whole fingerboard, the choice comes down to "How much do we lose by being frugal?" Well I'd just say this has not been built perfectly although it may very well perform perfectly, it's NOT a perfect join executed to appear and be perfect, which is what the price assumes.

We had an adage in the shop.
    An apprentice makes mistakes and learns how to fix them.
    A journeyman makes mistakes and learns how to hide them.
    A master doesn't make mistakes.

Guess where this guitar falls in the overall scheme of things.