The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 64 of 64

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    Maybe there is a generic "Gibson" sound but the claims that only a Gibson sounds like a Gibson wouldn't stand up tested in the blind because other companies have copied it closely enough. The majority here couldn't even tell which guitar was a flattop and what was the archtop in a blind test Vihar posted some months ago until he made the reveal and you could listen with your eyes.

I have heard the "real 335's are laminate" arguments and claims they are very different from the copies. I have owned enough semi hollow 335 variants and they are all close enough to a Gibson to get the job done. Otherwise why would I have sold mine. Of course it is a great sound but it is no longer the sole possession of Gibson. It's not 1960 anymore. If were are going down this road then we are talking about every Gibson being slightly different from another Gibson of the same model and so certain non Gibson's could be closer to a Gibson than certain Gibsons. That argument is pointless.

Is there a Fender sound too? Yes, generically. But it's not 1960 anymore. Is a warmoth copy not gonna sound like a Fender? It does. The name on the headstock means mostly nothing except higher cost than another comparable instrument. Do different strats sound different from other strats? Of course. Gibson and Fender no longer have carte blanche. Branding is a powerful spell but it is a mind trick by manufacturers to keep their products selling and players at large convinced they don't have the real deal until it has that name on the headstock.

Regardless you gotta have confidence in what you are using or self doubt about gear will affect your mindset. If that means having a genuine Gibson then you better go get one. Just bring your American Express.
    I have a Warmouth Strat along with two Fender Strats and with Fender Pickups, the Warmouth Strat sounds like a Strat! I would not be as picky about a Fender slab guitar over brand for sure.

But I have never heard any guitar sound like a Gibson 175 except for a Gibson 175. And I like Gibson 175's the best so I own three and they are my main gigging guitars. I have owned quite a few other Gibson 175's and all sounded great, but the playability on three of them was not to my liking, so I do not miss those three. There were three others that I owned that had great sound and playability and even though I don't need those guitars, I would buy them back if I could. So count me in on the concept that only a Gibson is good enough. YMMV (and probably does).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Heritage guitars as mentioned can have QC issues. I have 2 of them and they are from 1994 and 2001. A 1994 D'angelico New Yorker Ghost Built acoustic from a 1960 Dangelico used for the general specs. It is an outstanding guitar and quite smooth to play. I got it 9 months ago and it was never really played. Like Marc ( SS ) says playing a acoustic guitar in is real. The sound changes and I have put many hours on this guitar to break it in and they have paid dividends. The guitar is louder and much livelier. My guess is Heritage could not make that guitar today, the old guys did it who had a different background.

My 2001 Johnny Smith Rose is outstanding better sounding acoustically that any of the 3 GIbson JS I owed in the past. I must admit a good Gibson JS ranks up with the best if you can find one but play it first. Again I don't believe Heritage is able to do that type of work at least now, but I could be wrong. Maybe Marty G will chime in he is Heritage expert.

To me with a guitar and QC you really have to have a real player make the evaluation when complete. No one except a real player can do a QC check as specs are specs, but playing is where it is at. Most boutique makers play well enough to easily manage this aspect of QC. Jimmy D'aquisto could play the guitar well. I believe Mark C is quite a competent guitarist, but I don't know anything else. All the original Heritage guys were players at least with abilities to know what is needed to have a guitar set up perfectly.

Finally, and maybe the most important. You can even have specific QC standards done by players who play the kind of music the guitar is generally done for. So if you are producing Gibson ES 175's then you need to have a decent jazz player going over the guitar in the end. They don't have to be Joe Pass but they should not be a rock player who has never really played a guitar much with anything other than .09-42 strings and unwound 3rds.

This actually happens most often in the used market where dealers have guitars that are not their specialty. I have run into this many times and even actual the norm. I cannot tell you how many times I have called a dealer about a jazz archtop and they start apologizing they are not really jazz players. If you call Larry Wexer he is going to tell you how the guitar is and all about, he can play and no question far exceeds the standard. To me guitar manufacturers need to be aware of this but I have no clue if they do. People tell me about Ibanez guitars and other well made overseas guitars. They are not on my radar. While they might be fine instruments and work just as well they simply are not on my list of things needed. If I want an ES 175 sound nothing works expect a Gibson 175. With the world economy right now and the trends in manufacturing and inflation I personally believe the best hedge is to have a real American Made Instrument. I am not a patriot thumper like you might think, I am just telling you practical market trends show American made Gibson, Fenders, Guild, and Heritage stand better.

Sweetwater would simply give me my money back and I would find another. Again if at all possible make the trip to get the guitar. A day of driving and hassle generally worth many years of playing. Buying new and sight unseen as long as you can send it back ok, but really I have to play the guitar first.

User Info Menu

On second thought you could tell them to take it back and sell it to me a a greatly reduced price. I will fix it and then sell it. I would need to be greatly reduced it needs a new fingerboard or at least take up and refitted with a proper splice of I believe rosewood.

User Info Menu

You guys have good eyes, I would have never noticed that until I had been playing the guitar a good 6 months. Maybe I need better lighting in my house.

It’s as much as a decent used car, so I REALLY scrutinized it.

User Info Menu

Just joined so I could post this…

I picked up a new H-575 a couple of weeks ago. It’s a wonderful flawless guitar. Fantastic tone and playability. I bought it from Dave’s Guitars. I think they have another in stock.

In person, the guitar doesn’t have the golden hue shown in the pics…

I have no affiliation to Dave’s or Heritage.

Attached Images Attached Images Heritage H-575 - wonky fretboard… bummed— Resolved!-img_0041-jpeg 

Resolved! Original post edited with details.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiahzellers
    Update: SweetWater is giving me a return label AND giving me a Heritage Eagle for the same price as the H-575. Couldn’t be more pleased with this outcome. Thanks to everyone in this thread for the advice.
    Sweetwater prices for Heritage archtops:
    -$4,499 for a Heritage H-575
    -$5,299 for a Heritage Eagle
    Nice play by Sweetwater!
    That's quite an upgrade - you have good reason to be pleased.

Clearly, carved jazz boxes don't fly off the shelves quite like H-150 and H-535 models.
    Heritage Eagles are fabulous guitars - post a few pix once you have it in your hands.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 07-19-2023 at 03:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiahzellers
    Resolved! Original post edited with details.
    Score!
    Score one for you.
    Score one for Sweetwater for being one in the Do-The-Right-Thing club.

Play it with joy!

User Info Menu

Awesome outcome!!

Looking forward to your NGD once the Eagle has landed.

User Info Menu

So? Did SW come through? Do you like your new guitar? curious minds want to know.....

The Heritage Eagle is still backordered, unfortunately. It’s a waiting game now…

However, in the meantime I picked up an Eastman AR810CE that I’m digging quite a bit. I can’t get over how nice the acoustic sound is on it. Most likely the heritage will be for times when I can’t just play acoustically with a little bit of amp mixed in.

User Info Menu

Just curious, did SW ever come through? Did you get the Eagle? Do you like the Eastman better? Asking because Im considering a transaction with SW.
    Hope it worked out

User Info Menu

I'm wondering how it got through Heritage AND Sweetwater. Did they not know about i? Or did they know it, and think most buyers are dumb?