Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 57 of 57

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    15 inches ? It looks good 24 lbs 300 Watts
    Yes, sorry, 15

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I can't imagine a better jazz guitar amp than an AI Corus.

It even worked great on a rock musical that I had to get a steel string acoustic sound out of (the lead character was a folk singer/guitarist who was always fingerpickin' or strummin' her guitar during the two hour show, and she didn't know how to play the guitar). a heavy distorted rock sound, a 60s rock sound, a nylon string sound, and a clean electric sound.

I was able to get the acoustic sounds so well that the four other musicians in the pit thought I was using an acoustic guitar for the run of the show. I was using a Parker P-44 that has a piezo.

I never spoke to Rick, but he sounded like a great guy, RIP.

The closing of AI is going to affect jazz bass players more than anyone, because they all use the amp he made for Harvie S.

I don't know any amps out there that can get the sound of a Corus, and fill up a room, concert hall or auditorium as well (with the help of an RS-10) as a Corus can (except my back breaking SF Twin) and if it breaks down, I'm gonna try to get it fixed, and if that doesn't work, I'll have to use desperate measures.

Without AIs, the world is gonna turn into a dystopian, post-apocalyptic nightmare for AI owners,(as we've all seen so well represented in documentaries such as "The Walking Dead, West World, etc..) ,and it will be Corus owner against Corus owner for the last remaining amps.

You've been warned!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    As Mr.PC has pointed out, this should really do the job:
    Evans SES300 1x15" guitar and/or pedal steel cab

The whole thing weighs only 24 pounds.
    The box is small: 18.5" × 11.5" × 18.75"
    Yes, 15" speaker.
    My simple knowledge of such things suggests that 300 watts into 8 ohms means that it should be able to handle an amp that puts out 500 watts at 4 ohms.
    I took this out on a rock gig just to check it out, and it's plenty loud - some simple physics (re: box size, speaker cone size)
    help with that in addition to technical speaker specs.

By the by, wasn't there a 500W offering for a spell, a SE500?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    My simple knowledge of such things suggests that 300 watts into 8 ohms means that it should be able to handle an amp that puts out 500 watts at 4 ohms.
    I think you’re confusing specs. Most amplifiers that pump 300W into 8 Ohms at rated distortion will put between 350 and 500W into a 4 Ohm load at the same distortion. That doesn’t mean that a speaker cabinet that comes with an 8 Ohm speaker rated for 300W can handle a 4 Ohm speaker being fed 500W. 500 Watts of power is still 500 Watts regardless of the load it’s driving.

Even that extra 3dB can cause all sorts of havoc in a cabinet rated for less output. Parts and fasteners get loose and rattle. Baffles designed to flex and vibrate a bit can be driven to odd resonances by too much power, and mounting hardware can get pretty loose. Remember that output power heats the voice coil, so it requires cooling (which is usually from air in the cabinet). An open back cab will get some airflow, but cooling airflow may be insufficient in a closed or vented one. Overheating of the voice coil is a common cause of blown speakers.

Stuffing too much speaker in a cab and driving it with more than the power for which it was designed can cause some problems.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    By the by, wasn't there a 500W offering for a spell, a SE500?
    Yes I had the lime green RE300 touring amp and at that time Scot Bufington was also offering a 500 Watt version ($1500 or so).

User Info Menu

I have an AI Coda Series III that I have had for many years. I bought it as a closeout from a local music shop that decided it wasn't going to sell so they marked it down about half price brand new and I picked it up. It has a soft case that fits it tightly. Very versatile. I can plug a keyboard into it and it works well, as well as most any type of guitar. From what I read, the primary difference between the equivalent Corus and the Coda is the crossover frequency, with the Coda being aimed more at bass players and the Corus more for guitar players. To me, the Coda sounds good with guitar - nice and full.

Tony

User Info Menu

I just read the news about Rick Jones. He was amazing in support of his amps. I blew mine up twice (my fault) and he repaired it for free, quickly. Just adding a few internal shots of the Clarus 2R series II, in case someone needs to see what they are getting into before opening it up. It's a clean design and well built.
    RIP Rick.

Acoustic Image ceasing operations.-20231230_233336-jpgAcoustic Image ceasing operations.-20231230_2354472-jpgAcoustic Image ceasing operations.-20231230_215729-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Acoustic Image ceasing operations.-20231230_215737-jpg