The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Recorded direct using my Gibson 175 and Helix stomp

Spinal surgery in 5 days. Ironically, my chops are now back to about 90% of what they were before my injury in November. Hopefully it's all straightened out in a month or 2.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looking and playing good. You remind me why I love my 175 so much.

Good luck with your surgery. Tell the surgeon to wash his hands. They always love that joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Looking and playing good. You remind me why I love my 175 so much.

Good luck with your surgery. Tell the surgeon to wash his hands. They always love that joke.
    Something about the classic '57 pickups bother me. There's sort of a high freq chirp on the attack. Considering replacing them with a more neutral paf pickup.

I found a company in croatia making '59 copies that are reasonably priced, scatter wound, etc.

Might take a chance on a set.

User Info Menu

That's a very high level of play! Got the Martino vibe. I really like the sound your getting there. Best of luck with the back. The chops will be there waiting for you when your ready.

User Info Menu

Nice to have you back at it Jack! I'm happy to see you're looking to get a Kessel again. It looks so good on you.
    I mean...everybody plays a 175. Zucker plays a B.K. :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Something about the classic '57 pickups bother me. There's sort of a high freq chirp on the attack. Considering replacing them with a more neutral paf pickup.

I found a company in croatia making '59 copies that are reasonably priced, scatter wound, etc.

Might take a chance on a set.
    If your ears hear some chirp they must be laser focused I have no sense of a chirp. 57 Classics are my go-to pickup and if it is not broke don't fix it. To me 57 Classics are about as neutral as they get but I am not you. Also, get better fast after the surgery and give us an update. All back surgery is always something to take with full focus on recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Nice to have you back at it Jack! I'm happy to see you're looking to get a Kessel again. It looks so good on you.
    I mean...everybody plays a 175. Zucker plays a B.K. :-)
    Haha, thanks. I should never have sold the other spruce one. I was emailing the guy every once in a while to see if he'd sell it back. He bought it for $3200 I think. So I recently offered to buy it back for $5000 but the email bounced and no longer exists.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    If your ears hear some chirp they must be laser focused I have no sense of a chirp. 57 Classics are my go-to pickup and if it is not broke don't fix it. To me 57 Classics are about as neutral as they get but I am not you. Also, get better fast after the surgery and give us an update. All back surgery is always something to take with full focus on recovery.
    There's definitely a characteristic chirp in there. I know several folks who have ditched the 57 classic for that reason. But thanks, I'm going to work hard to get back to and surpass where I am now.

User Info Menu

If the 57 Classics are not working, try a set of MHS pups (1st generation with the alnico 3 neck pickup) with a set of 550K pots. The articulation of that setup will rival any vintage PAF setup for a LOT less scratch.

Good luck on the surgery. Getting old sure has some drawbacks, but as long as we are around and able to play music, we are OK.

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    That's a very high level of play! Got the Martino vibe. I really like the sound your getting there. Best of luck with the back. The chops will be there waiting for you when your ready.
    Thanks, try as I might, i can never get rid of the joe pass and pat martino inside my head. It just seems like the lines are always influenced by those two

User Info Menu

Thanks, try as I might, i can never get rid of the joe pass and pat martino inside my head. It just seems like the lines are always influenced by those two
    Two giants. Wonderful examples.

User Info Menu

I always enjoy your posts and playing. Thanks for sharing it. Wish you the best with the surgery.

User Info Menu

Hope all goes well with your surgery. FWIW, a friend of mine just had what sounds like very similar surgery, and she’s doing well. Hope that bodes well for you.

Re: the guitar sound, I’d say it seems a bit brighter than the the blond and the cherry 175’s on your channel. I would not be able to tell whether that’s the pickup, the recording/signal-chain, or the guitar, though.

User Info Menu

Good luck with the surgery. Hope you have a quick recovery!

User Info Menu

Nice, get well soon, looking forward to hearing your 100% chops.

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing.

I think I hear what you are hearing.

My ‘72 175 into my Henriksen sounds as warm as toast and I have a number of guitars with Classic 57’s. I consider them to, if anything, have a pronounced treble roll off.

My money is on the Helix Stomp affecting your tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rograt
    Thanks for sharing.

I think I hear what you are hearing.

My ‘72 175 into my Henriksen sounds as warm as toast and I have a number of guitars with Classic 57’s. I consider them to, if anything, have a pronounced treble roll off.

My money is on the Helix Stomp affecting your tone.
    it's not the helix. Because My other guitars that do no have classic '57 pickups in them do not have the same chirp

User Info Menu

Strange. The closest to chirps I get is when my picks are worn from nicely rounded edges to sharp edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Rograt
    Strange. The closest to chirps I get is when my picks are worn from nicely rounded edges to sharp edges.
    Not strange, a lot of people have switched away from classic 57s for the same reason. Well known member here - guitarist and teacher Joey Goldstein was just telling me something similar. He's switching to Dimarzio 36th anniversary PAFs I think.

The other consideration is that guitars in the '60s , particularly the plywood ones have issues with top sinkage, braces coming loose, etc. After selling the '63 I had, I tried a couple kessels in my price range. But I also inspected the interior with a endoscope camera, I could see the bracing was loose on both. On one of them, the owner had tried spraying gorilla glue (the foaming kind) in there. Not an appropriate fix!
    Last edited by jzucker; 05-22-2023 at 08:58 AM.

User Info Menu

WHO WOULD WANT TO? Most would kill to get Joe Pass and Pat Martino into their heads and playing the way you do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    If the 57 Classics are not working, try a set of MHS pups (1st generation with the alnico 3 neck pickup) with a set of 550K pots. The articulation of that setup will rival any vintage PAF setup for a LOT less scratch.

Good luck on the surgery. Getting old sure has some drawbacks, but as long as we are around and able to play music, we are OK.
    Are the MHS pickups for sale generally now? They had previously only come installed on guitars. Can they be bought direct now?

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    WHO WOULD WANT TO? Most would kill to get Joe Pass and Pat Martino into their heads and playing the way you do.
    aww, thanks.

these are the pickups i'm thinking about.

Q Pickups – Handwound guitar pickups – Custom guitar and bass pickups, handcrafted