The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 69 of 69

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I am number 19 on the B list.. i hope a few guys cancel.
    I think I followed you, so maybe I'm 20.

Mark is really not sure that he will get to the whole list.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill

I guess that's when the prices on the used market will finally take off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Mark told me yesterday 48 on the A list 19 on the B list which is growing weekly.

The B listers have to hope for A’s to drop out. I got bumped into the next batch. Mark doesn’t allow any cuts in line.
    I tried and it was a flat no.
    Of course there are no cuts in line, Mark exhibits integrity, a rare thing in this day and age. It is my honor to have become a Campellone player. (too bad flattery won't get me a cut in line )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill

Yep, we need some guys to drop off the list......lucky for both of us, we have plenty of great guitars to play if our turn never happens.

User Info Menu

Well...accidents do happen.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Of course there are no cuts in line, Mark exhibits integrity, a rare thing in this day and age. It is my honor to have become a Campellone player. (too bad flattery won't get me a cut in line )
    That ' no cuts in line ' story reminds me of that Johnny Smith story of how he ' borrowed ' John Collins' D'A, then decided to keep it but willingly and graciously gave up his
    ' preferred ' spot in D'Angelico's build schedule to John Collins......

What a guy.... : )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmuso
    Jimmy Raney played a handmade Hofner/Zoller model - even the pickup was hand-wound - of which only 4 were produced. Pat Metheny has one. Whatever happended to Jimmy's guitar and how much might it be worth?
    There is link on ‘Vintage and rare’ with his Hofner guitar.. if it is.Hofner AZ Award 1982 Natural Finish Guitar For Sale

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Tarlow
    There is link on ‘Vintage and rare’ with his Hofner guitar.. if it is.Hofner AZ Award 1982 Natural Finish Guitar For Sale
    As I have read it, Doug Raney inherited the Höfner after Jimmy Raneys death but apparently didn't keep it as he was seen with an Ibanez at one of his by then rare gigs in Copenhagen about a year before his death.

User Info Menu

So much great information! I am in the position of having to sell a couple of guitars before making a purchase, but Campellone and Trenier are both at the top of the list.

I know of nowhere else I could ask this question, acknowledging that any answer is going to be subjective.

If we assume a solid carved spruce top, playing chord / melody jazz standards finger style and un-amplified / acoustic, is there a quality that can be assumed for the two different builders? Is the Campellone going to have a stronger bass and Trenier a more prominent mid-range? Or is it going to be each individual guitar is unique?

User Info Menu

Betz,
    These are two completely different guitars. The Campellone is parallel braced with wide reinforcement strips down underside of top plate and back plate seams. The Campellone also has a steeper angle from saddle to tail pc. which adds a bit more downward pressure on the top. Marks guitars have a sweet tone with a very nice natural reverb - and very balanced. . Marks guitars achieve a great post war Gibson vibe not found in post 2000 Gibson acoustic Archtops.

The Trenier is X braced , with no reinforcement strips on underside of top or back plates and neck angle is flatter off the saddle. The Trenier has a deeper recurve and very vibrant plates - and has a wooden tail pc. The tone is rich and resonant with an organ like sustain - especially in the 1st thru 10th frets. It's very D'Aquisto like, which is a quality desired by those who've played them .

I've owned 5 Campellones and an equal amount of Treniers. I enjoy playing them both. But for fingerstyle acoustic playing, which is what I primarily play, I gravitate to the Trenier. If your going to plug in - the Campellone has that traditional electrified Archtop tone which you might really like, but I find it to be a bit stiffer and requires more fretting effort.

If I was ordering a Campellone today, it would be a short scale 24.6 - 24-3/4. I find the 25-1/2 scale to be more challenging to play.

Both Mark and Bryant are great builders. I've known Mark for nearly 30 years and Bryant for over 10. We are talking about builders at the top of their game - and both have global recognition.

You can't go wrong with either builder. If undecided - just get both, then keep the one you like best.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by QAman; 08-05-2023 at 02:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Thank you, QAman. Very well said. Returning to my flat top roots, it’s almost like you are describing a dreadnought (Campellone) and an Orchestra or Concert sized (Trenier). One is not better than the other, although, all other things being equal one may be better suited to a piece or style than the other.

As I have to first sell a pair of Gibson’s, I will have to see what is available once I have cash in hand. Right now there are excellent examples of both for sale so hoping things do move quickly.

For now, I am now going to read your post again . . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Betz
    Thank you, QAman. Very well said. Returning to my flat top roots, it’s almost like you are describing a dreadnought (Campellone) and an Orchestra or Concert sized (Trenier). One is not better than the other, although, all other things being equal one may be better suited to a piece or style than the other.

As I have to first sell a pair of Gibson’s, I will have to see what is available once I have cash in hand. Right now there are excellent examples of both for sale so hoping things do move quickly.

For now, I am now going to read your post again . . .
    If your flat top roots are still prevalent, I will add this, which is my opinion only. The Trenier tone sits more in the flat top camp, Campellone more in the archtop camp (no pun intended).

User Info Menu

+1 to FourOnSix comment about Trenier.

Betz, if you really want that flatop / Archtop hybrid sound, go with a Trenier Round hole. I believe Dream Guitars may have one for sale.

It's best to try and play examples from both builders.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    If undecided - just get both, then keep the one you like best.

That has been my strategy for years. The problem is that I end up keeping both!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    The JS line are great guitars, no doubt. When I play out with my 'dad band', I always bring my white Jem and either a very similar prestige RG2750 or my AS200. I have been playing Ibanez guitars out since I traded my Les Paul custom for an AR300 in '81. Their high end instruments are fantastic guitars for playing out, just great sounding and super reliable.

That said, I play my VDA or my Emerald acoustic when I'm fiddling around at home
    Interesting you mention having an Emerald acoustic. I just purchased an Emerald Kestrel archtop and it is the easiest playing guitar. I also own (bought used) X20 and X20-7 (7 string).

Someday, I would love to have an example Campellone and my Gibson Citation in the same room and go back and forth between them.

Tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    +1 to FourOnSix comment about Trenier.

Betz, if you really want that flatop / Archtop hybrid sound, go with a Trenier Round hole. I believe Dream Guitars may have one for sale.

It's best to try and play examples from both builders.

I have messaged with them about the Trenier Motif for that very reason, which aligns with the FouronSix comment. I do have a few concerns but I could make a day trip there to try it out. Not a lot of them out there and they are intriguing.

Being in coastal North Carolina I could make a couple-day road trip and actually try a few from both builders, based on what is currently for sale within a reasonable distance. Of course, that could change overnight. I know my son, who is a much better guitar player than I, would love to join me on that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Betz
    So much great information! I am in the position of having to sell a couple of guitars before making a purchase, but Campellone and Trenier are both at the top of the list.

I know of nowhere else I could ask this question, acknowledging that any answer is going to be subjective.

If we assume a solid carved spruce top, playing chord / melody jazz standards finger style and un-amplified / acoustic, is there a quality that can be assumed for the two different builders? Is the Campellone going to have a stronger bass and Trenier a more prominent mid-range? Or is it going to be each individual guitar is unique?
    Good comments from both QA and SS - speaking generally (and for acoustic playing), fingerstyle playing doesn't put as much vibrating energy into the string as plectrum playing - a modern archtop like the Trenier will usually be more fully responsive to the lighter touch of fingerstyle playing. Older archtops (in the Gibson style) were designed for plectrum playing and will usually require more string energy (i.e. heavier touch) to reach max volume potential. Also, and again speaking very generally, a lighter built guitar will usually have deeper bass resonance, but a lower overall volume ceiling - great for solo work; a heavier built guitar will generally have stronger mid-range resonance and a higher overall volume ceiling, which is why the old style archtops were ideal as acoustic instruments in a big band setting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    There are a few guitar shops that maintain regular build spots on Mark’s list. Sometimes those guitars are built to the store’s specs and sold in the store, but some of them will take a customer’s pre-order with the customer’s specs. PM me if you’re interested in my experience.
    Right, and I probably should have mentioned this sooner, but The Music Emporium is open to taking custom orders (as long as the specs are not too unusual), and right now, the wait time for an available Music Emporium slot is around one year - anyone currently on MY wait list who's interested in ordering through TME instead can contact me directly for more details.

User Info Menu

Is everyone enjoying this thread as much as I am? Truly remarkable information presented.