The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’m curious about the Eastman Pagelli with its « interesting design / look ».
    Does some forum members have experience with these guitars (PG1 or PG2)?
    How does it sound, how does it feel to compare with a traditional 17 archtop?
    What about the construction (braces?), its ergo fit, workmanship quality?
    Thank you

Seb

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have no experience with the Eastman but I talked to Claudio at the Frankfurt music fair for my report for Archtop-germany.de and played his offset archtop design (either the gringobeat or jazzability) – it feels very comfortable and just more compact and ergonomic than other 17" archtops.
    Ergo fit = great!

User Info Menu

Thank you guavajelly

User Info Menu

I would think it depends on how high you hold the guitar, dictating where your arm sits.

User Info Menu

I love mine! Sold my Eastman 810 after I got it. (Had Gibson super 300, Fender Pat Metheny, Ibanez L5 clone before).
    It's surprisingly strong acoustically, fairly thin body, very comfortable to play with the offset and all I need.
    I also picked up an Eastman ER-O and an Eastman 7-string 810 since, but these are less often reached for

I am looking for a quality gig bag that fits, as I don't have a case for it, and I don't need the original heavy hard case for my outings with it.

Sean

User Info Menu

I’ve played several and they always impressed me. Very, very good guitars. If you want a superb modern archtop for a good price, then you won’t be disappointed. Buying new might be risky because they might not hold their value. Expect it to be worth at least 25% less the moment you buy a new one. I’ve tried to sell a Romeo, which is a magnificent guitar. Couldn’t give it away and decided to keep it. I’ve easily sold other guitars of lesser quality for much more money. It matters what’s on the headstock.

User Info Menu

Nice guitar the Blonde one I played some years ago. Just remember not liking the thinner neck profile as on many of the Eastmans. I got lucky finding a JP880,803CE, and a 810CE models with larger depth neck shapes.
    Great guitars and wished I had kept the 810CE. I commissioned a
    Tonemaster from Elferink and have played that for around 8 years now.

User Info Menu

I bought a blonde Eastman Pagelli locally from Bill Eisle, a forum member who introduced me to this group. I was looking for an acoustic archtop to complement my Johnny Smith.

The Pagelli model has been a delight to play, especially as an acoustic-electric. Bill had ordered a pair of hand wound Kent Armstrong pickups, a single coil (my preference) and a humbucker, and had each installed on their own Pagelli ebony pickguard. This made switching amplified tone a simple plug and play. I haven’t tried the stock Kent Armstrong humbucker.

I have yet to experiment with different strings…especially flats, which I suspect will add some warmth and subdue what is a fundamentally a loud and bright acoustic sound. But the ergonomics (17” body that feels like a 16” because of its offset design), quality solid carved tone wood build, large C neck profile, 25” scale, jumbo fretwork, perfectly fitted ebony full contact bridge/saddle…it’s a unique package that I continue to enjoy. I would highly recommend it as a great value.

The best part of acquiring the Pagelli was that I met Bill, his wife, and a whole new group of music and guitar friends here in Santa Fe.
    Last edited by hidesert; 05-11-2024 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Improve