The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Anybody done it? Seen any? Might be fun to try........might have to make some; have to figure out a way to make an ebony copy of the brass Wilkinson saddles which are my favorites. Thoughts?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What do you aim to achieve with them?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vihar
    The same reason you change an ES175 bridge from TOM to rosewood or ebony.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    The same reason you change an ES175 bridge from TOM to rosewood or ebony.
    I would be afraid that at the size of a regular Telecaster saddle, the ebony would split at one or all of the holes. The threads would fail as well without metal inserts, the strings would simply push the saddles down on the bridge plate. Maybe finding a kind of plastic that's got similar mechanical properties to ebony would be more practical as far as avoiding splits goes. For example POM (Delrin). That still wouldn't solve the string pressure problem though, unless maybe if you used very light strings, but I doubt it would be stable enough. But what if you filed the top of metal saddles flat, and glued wood or plastic on top of them? Or route slots in them, so you could insert your own saddles?

User Info Menu

Check this out: JP WoodTone | 2023

They stabilize ebony with acrylic polymers in vacuum under high pressure, or use vera (lignum vitae) wood, which is much harder to begin with. The tops are stainless steel fret inserts, so they don't wear out quickly.

User Info Menu

Ebony Saddles For Tele?-pxl_20230123_210725071-jpg

It's a Tele, and the saddle is ebony - but I guess that's not what you are looking for...

After I had assembled this partscaster (the body is hollow, BTW), I found that with the original Bigsby aluminum bridge it sounded a bit too twangy for the tone I was going for (1940s/early 50s country/Western swing/rockabilly - think Grady Martin), so I carved this from a piece of ebony, and it worked out perfectly, still plenty bright, but without the metallic twang, sounds almost like an archtop...

User Info Menu

I'm not aware of any wood telecaster saddles but I would try using a graphtech saddle.

Graph Tech String Saver Saddle IOS 3-piece Telecaster Compensated | Musician's Friend

User Info Menu

I've put ebony or rosewood saddles on semis or solids many times. Definitely mellows out the tone.

User Info Menu

What RomanS posted is far more practical than trying to make the standard Tele barrels. The wood might hold up, but I don't think the threads would last very long. It might be possible to use oak dowels or something similar, which are readily available and cheap. The threads would be the main issue that I see, assuming a good drill press is available to make the holes.

User Info Menu

+1 re: GraphTech saddles. I've used them on all my Teles and my Stratishcaster.

User Info Menu

Check this out: JP WoodTone | 2023

They stabilize ebony with acrylic polymers in vacuum under high pressure, or use vera (lignum vitae) wood, which is much harder to begin with. The tops are stainless steel fret inserts, so they don't wear out quickly.

But that's still metal to metal contact.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    What RomanS posted is far more practical than trying to make the standard Tele barrels. The wood might hold up, but I don't think the threads would last very long. It might be possible to use oak dowels or something similar, which are readily available and cheap. The threads would be the main issue that I see, assuming a good drill press is available to make the holes.
    Yes, the threads might not hold up.
    What about going Danelectro-style, with a single wooden saddle held in place by string pressure - you'd have to determine your ideal action once, though, because you won't be able to raise it after the saddle is done; and adjustment for intonation would also be rather limited (just like on an archtop).

User Info Menu

I love it; every time you think some crazy thought related to a guitar, someone on this forum has already done it?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I've put ebony or rosewood saddles on semis or solids many times. Definitely mellows out the tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    +1 re: GraphTech saddles. I've used them on all my Teles and my Stratishcaster.
    Same here. Perfect for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    But that's still metal to metal contact.
    Yep, though very low mass for those tiny pieces, so they act mainly as a "surface hardener". It sure has some effect on the tone, but maybe not as much as it leads us to believe. I've found his site by making a search on the topic and his post came up on the Telecaster forum: How we make the JP Woodtone saddles by John Page | Telecaster Guitar Forum

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    I love it; every time you think some crazy thought related to a guitar, someone on this forum has already done it?!
    My NYSS and EXSS. Note the ebony saddle I put on the NYSS, since it was already the more "woodier" sounding of the two, with its spruce top. (I no longer own either. Kinda mad that I let the NYSS go.)

Ebony Saddles For Tele?-dsc02738-jpg
    Ebony Saddles For Tele?-dsc02739-jpg