The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

What is Pat playing here?
    Ibanez?
    Attached Images Attached Images What's He Playing?-d1afdf5f-a0f1-4e8f-81f1-4a1791e73c30-jpeg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Actual guitar Roland made for a while, to control synth.

User Info Menu

It's a Roland guitar synth controller (googling around, I believe the model is G-303).

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I think it's a Roland 303 synth guitar from the '80s.

EDIT: Wow - great minds think alike, and I'm honored to emulate them. I was interested in these when they first came out, but they cost a lot of $ and the synthesizer modules they drove (e.g. the GR100) didn't really do much. FWIW, they're not very useful today - they used a 24 pin cable and connectors and are not compatible with the current generation of 13 pin Roland synthesizers.

User Info Menu

Is it more of a midi controller?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2-5Guy
    No, that system doesn't use MIDI: Roland GR-300 Vintage Analog Guitar Synthesizer - Pat Metheny - King Crimson

Roland's new offerings are sort of a modern take on that (the SY series).

User Info Menu

MIDI wasn't introduced until 1983. The Roland 303 is a controller, but it uses a proprietary interface and processing system - there was no MIDI when these came out. The actual "synthesizer" module was in a separate box and was functionally a glorified digital effects device. Why anyone would buy one of these today is a complete mystery to me, but sellers are asking ridiculous prices for them on the usual platforms.

User Info Menu

Was this an analog synth or digital?

User Info Menu

Was this an analog synth or digital?
    It's an analog synth, with two oscillators for each guitar string.

User Info Menu

I think Metheny now just uses it for the "trumpet" and infinite sustain fuzz sounds he likes. ISTR that he didn't like any of the emulations of those sounds in the later generations of Roland guitar synthery. For a while he was using the Synclavier, and he had a guitar/controller that controlled both via what looked like a G303 with a Synclavier gizmo grafted onto it. IIRC, he kept using that even after Synclavier died out. I could have the details of that wrong, but for sure, he had a synth guitar that had an extra gizmo on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Why anyone would buy one of these today is a complete mystery to me, but sellers are asking ridiculous prices for them on the usual platforms.
    Because "It Was Better In The Old Days," before entropy and everything went to Hell In A Handbasket. Or enough people think so that they're willing to pay those prices for "Vintage" gear, and therefore it's worth listing things like that at aspirational pricing.

User Info Menu

It's got very low, non-perceptible latency and no digital artifacts in the sound. If it could do more than shades of synthesized trumpet, it would be unbeatable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I think Metheny now just uses it for the "trumpet" and infinite sustain fuzz sounds he likes. ISTR that he didn't like any of the emulations of those sounds in the later generations of Roland guitar synthery. For a while he was using the Synclavier, and he had a guitar/controller that controlled both via what looked like a G303 with a Synclavier gizmo grafted onto it. IIRC, he kept using that even after Synclavier died out. I could have the details of that wrong, but for sure, he had a synth guitar that had an extra gizmo on it.
    The Synclavier reference is correct. The producer I worked with back in the 80’s used a Synclavier and Pat called to borrow it when his crapped out before a concert one time.

User Info Menu

Those are lovely playing guitars, made in FujiGen Gakki; similar shaped guitars were labeled as Ibanez and Greco without the Roland electronics.