The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

I didn't know exactly where I should post this, but I figured the Guitars section would get the most traffic.

Regarding my newly acquired near-mint condition 1994 L-5 CES (1952 reissue) Natural Blonde, I went over everything with Virtuoso Guitar Polish and it did an amazing job of cleaning and polishing the wood finish and hardware. I'd like to apply a good coat of wax as a protectant. Now, with auto's this is something that I would most certainly do in order to protect the paint and chrome. However, I'm not sure this philosophy would apply to instruments. Especially vintage. I posted these pics before but thought I'd would again to better describe it.

I made quite an investment in this thing and I don't want to eff it up.

Thanks folks

Wax For Protectant?-b50760b6-c5fd-46d6-b01e-73bd7c2b5b5a-jpgWax For Protectant?-25e67385-37ff-4e26-b2da-50ea4cc9c828-jpgWax For Protectant?-7735445b-ebe4-42fd-9c32-0ab54217583c-jpgWax For Protectant?-ccadb2dd-090e-4269-ba42-1e794a55fd69-jpgWax For Protectant?-7a7de638-bdc4-4460-8c43-ea3718df7b87-jpgWax For Protectant?-b50760b6-c5fd-46d6-b01e-73bd7c2b5b5a-jpgWax For Protectant?-25e67385-37ff-4e26-b2da-50ea4cc9c828-jpgWax For Protectant?-7735445b-ebe4-42fd-9c32-0ab54217583c-jpgWax For Protectant?-ccadb2dd-090e-4269-ba42-1e794a55fd69-jpgWax For Protectant?-7a7de638-bdc4-4460-8c43-ea3718df7b87-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I would not recommend Virtuoso for cleaning gold plated parts, eventually you'll take the gold off. Try some carnuba wax as a protectant.

User Info Menu

I've never heard anybody recommend wax. Maybe I just missed it, or maybe there's a reason.

I'd suggest not doing it unless Orville Gibson comes to you in a dream and okays it in writing.

It's almost 30 years old and looks beautiful. Did it need wax for that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I've never heard anybody recommend wax. Maybe I just missed it, or maybe there's a reason.

I'd suggest not doing it unless Orville Gibson comes to you in a dream and okays it in writing.

It's almost 30 years old and looks beautiful. Did it need wax for that?

Yep, I had the same thoughts!

[Some guitarists may need this, but not me.] For guitar, what's wrong with just some decent polish? I like Bob's stuff ..

User Info Menu

That's why I asked.
    Ok NO wax then.

Thanks again.
    I appreciate the input from the people who know.

User Info Menu

That looks beautiful, it can't be improved upon, leave it as it is. Just a light clean once in a while should do. I use a bit of regular guitar polish to get the gunk off, but I don't know a lot of the esoteric brands.

Be very careful if there is any lacquer checking, these can trap certain cleaning agents, and it's hard or impossible to get out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    That looks beautiful, it can't be improved upon, leave it as it is. Just a light clean once in a while should do. I use a bit of regular guitar polish to get the gunk off, but I don't know a lot of the esoteric brands.

Be very careful if there is any lacquer checking, these can trap certain cleaning agents, and it's hard or impossible to get out.
    Thank you.
    I don't see any visible finish checking at all.

I've got a boatload of Sadowsky Every Day Polish that I get every time I order one of his guitars and I think that would be fine to use as a wipe down after each use. Yes? No?

User Info Menu

If you are going to wail on it in your death-metal band, I recommend several coats of black marine epoxy paint. Otherwise, it's already protected by its lacquer finish.

User Info Menu

I disagree. I have been using S100 Carnauba wax for many years on my Gibson’s and going from cold to warm temps. Not a single check on my guitars. I believe it keeps the nitro lacquer more flexible and less brittle IMO. It’s a nice arm sweat barrier too. The added gloss is nice too.

User Info Menu

When I got my keep for ever classical 2014 Antonio Marin-Montero (yup, bragging!))) I was advised to use bees wax polish once a year. It seems to do a great job, does not risk damage AFIK. Use it on everything, the L5, TF, and my Ibanez family.
    I can even wax bees with it. But they get pissy.

The Original Bee's Wax Furniture Polish | America's Premier Polish
    Musical artists know Bee’s Wax Polish brings to life pianos, guitars, violins, and other instruments. Bee’s Wax preserves the finish and enhances the true beauty of the wood.”
    Last edited by jazzkritter; 12-11-2022 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Adding propaganda

User Info Menu

Whatever you decide to use just make sure it has no silicone in it if your guitar has a nitro finish. Poly it doesn’t matter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    On a lacquer finish, a carnuba based wax is something I like to apply to guitars I've built. It helps protect the surface, it provides protection from UV rays, and in every day use, it is a tough layer that works with the lacquer as a barrier that doesn't effect the sound at all. A wax applied to the neck also makes getting around the neck faster, and keeps oils and acids from degrading the lacquer.
    Sure you can live without it, but your guitar is a delicate carved finely vibrating functional sculpture of wood protected by a very thin coat of lacquer. Wax protects the finish. That's its job. 'doesn't effect the sound, doesn't harm it, does protect the guitar from wear.
    I tend away from furniture wax. They may be carnuba based but the formulations made for musical instruments work on vibrating musical instruments. IMHO a good option. And after a polish, which can bring up the shine by micro leveling the wear incurred through every day use, wax is the natural way to preserve that surface.

By the way I have a vintage guitar that somebody very dear to me recently bequeathed to me. I consider it priceless. One of the first things I did when it was in my hands was to apply a coat of wax to it. Orville Gibson didn't write me a note telling me to do this, but I think Jimmy D' would have approved.
    Yeah, Jimmy woulda broke out the can of lemon Pledge

User Info Menu

OP here -

This is what I've been using on my other guitars. Your thoughts now that we're talking about wax?

Gerlitz No. 1 Wax - Woodwind & Brasswind

User Info Menu

The virtuoso is safe and GREAT for the nitro. It is a synthetic sealant and will protect the finish better than anything.
    Wintermoon is 100% correct. The virtuoso will little by little, erode the gold plating.
    On the gold, I’ve been using Swissvax Onyx for years. It is 100% free of any abrasive cleaners or chemicals that can ruin your plating. Remember, Carnuba by nature is an extremely hard wax. When in its natural state, it would be the LAST thing you’d want to rub on your guitar. Swissvax uses a proprietary organic oil that thins the Carnuba so it can be applied. Zymol (another wax company) uses banana and coconut montains that thin the Carnuba. In both cases, Once that evaporates, you use a fresh microfiber towel to removes the residue and smooths out the Carnuba. That leaves a micro thin layer that dries and protects the gold from oxidation. It also creates a barrier between the gold and body oils.
    Zymol, tends to stay a bit “grainy” and I don’t trust it on the gold.
    However, I’ve been using Swissvax on the gold for years on all my babies. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    The virtuoso is safe and GREAT for the nitro. It is a synthetic sealant and will protect the finish better than anything.
    Wintermoon is 100% correct. The virtuoso will little by little, erode the gold plating.
    On the gold, I’ve been using Swissvax Onyx for years. It is 100% free of any abrasive cleaners or chemicals that can ruin your plating. Remember, Carnuba by nature is an extremely hard wax. When in its natural state, it would be the LAST thing you’d want to rub on your guitar. Swissvax uses a proprietary organic oil that thins the Carnuba so it can be applied. Zymol (another wax company) uses banana and coconut montains that thin the Carnuba. In both cases, Once that evaporates, you use a fresh microfiber towel to removes the residue and smooths out the Carnuba. That leaves a micro thin layer that dries and protects the gold from oxidation. It also creates a barrier between the gold and body oils.
    However, I’ve been using Swissvax on the gold for years on all my babies. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.
    Joe D
    So to recap, are you saying Swissvax Onyx is good for both metal plating AND wood/nitro?
    Or stay with the Virtuoso only for the wood?

User Info Menu

Yes, Stay with the virtuoso on the wood/nitro.
    The Swissvax will keep the gold perfect, for years and years.
    Beautiful guitar. Perfection!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Yes, Stay with the virtuoso on the wood/nitro.
    The Swissvax will keep the gold perfect, for years and years.
    Beautiful guitar. Perfection!
    Joe D
    Thank you.

User Info Menu

Joe D
    When it comes to polishes, waxes etc, take his advice, Joe really knows his stuff.

User Info Menu

I used Zymol on a lacquer Gibson. It's a great wax. Actually was a satin finish that I used zymol and a towel and heavy elbow grease to buff to a mild gloss. I never waxed the metal parts, too many crevices to deal with all that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    When it comes to polishes, waxes etc, take his advice, Joe really knows his stuff.
    Thank you brother.
    JD

User Info Menu

Vinny I checked the can of the beeswax polish, oddly enough the contents aren’t listed. I’m going to call customer service tomorrow and see. Maybe there was a paper under the can top with the ingredients? I dunno, I lose things like that.

However, the gentleman who recommended it deals in classical guitars from 5 to 20,000$ and up. He has sold the personal concert instruments of several world renowned artists so his credit is pretty good with me.
    I seriously doubt he would recommend any polish that would risk a sensitive hand rubbed French finish. Right? Unless someone disagrees, I think something safe on a French polish ain’t going to hurt either Nitro nor Poly.
    Once I was using a standard guitar polish on a Kenny Hill Signature with a microfiber towel for a couple of years. Ended up with large areas of the French finish wearing off! I was told never never to use microfiber on a finish.
    Cotton, cotton, cotton. Guitar clothes and shirts. Can’t beat it.

User Info Menu

Just know that Virtuoso cleaner has cutting properties and so does the polish though the polish cut is very mild but that’s what a polish does.
    It has mild abrasive qualities. A wax just protects. No cut.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Yeah, Jimmy woulda broke out the can of lemon Pledge
    I was in his shop in Huntington Station when he whipped out the Lemon Pledge. My jaw dropped, but he sweared by it...I don't think I was dreaming...but it was a long time ago...

User Info Menu

I’ve been using Gibson Pump Polish for years. Works great and it’s safe for nitro.

User Info Menu

Vinny, As promised, spray beeswax polish ingredients, and I stand by this stuff.
    It’s not a car wax, or whatever, it’s something that’s been used on wood instruments forever and is quite natural. I can’t recommend highly enough.
    If you search you will find various beeswax polishes. I guess you could get even more ‘natural’ using a non aerosol version. You’ll also find it recommended for violin finishes because it’s benign. You’ll also see saliva highly recommended.

Beeswax
    Water, Hydrotreated light alkanes (dilutants)
    Butane, Propane (propellants) 1-5%
    Dimethicone (gloss agent)
    d-limonene (solvent)
    Citral (fragrance)
    Aliphatic acid anhydride (surfactant)
    Middle Alkanes (solvent)

MSDS MSDS Form – ShopBeesWax

Im only quoting, ain’t got no education in chemically stuff.